THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Seek info. on 2 dbls. talked about here.....text
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seek info. on 2 dbls. talked about here.....text
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard mention of 2 doubles in the last couple of week here and I was hoping someone might have additional info. (photos?) ?

1) A short barreled double (16"/18" barrel?), caliber unknown, seen at Chadwicks (I think) table at the Dallas Safari Club Show. Loads of Dbl. fans were handling it and I couldn't get close to inspect it. *I am sure someone on the Board looked at it....

2) I seek information on a double that was seen at the DRSS event in Texas a week back. The rifle was built on a small action (.410 ?) - Can anyone offer any additional info. on this piece? photos, builder, specs., etc.

Thank You.

Posts: 31 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fan

I have no clue on the first double, but the second might be the Merkel 9,.3x74R on the 28ga frame.
Brain1 had one at the DRSS ahoot, and it is one neat, sweet, petite double.

What calibre double are you looking for and what game do you plan on shooting with it?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2 sounds like a Merkel 141. These are built on a 28ga size frame, most have double triggers (set trigger for the right barrel) ejectors, coin finished action, 21 3/4" barrels, weighed one in 9.3x74R awhile back at 6 3/4 lb but this can vary due to the wood. If you think you might want a Merkel 141 I have one left in 9.3X74R with MAK or Rechnagle 30mm rings and bases installed for $5000 or $4600 and I'll keep the rings. Gun is new but no box or paperwork

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for Kebco. He is who I purchased mine from. It is a tad over 6 pounds on my non certified scales, with the scope removed. It is a pleasure to carry and shoot.
Kebco,
Welcome to ARs double rifle forum. Glad to see another like minded guy in with us.
Brian in Bridgeport, Tx

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot Brain1's "Featherweight Merkel" a few times.
I like it. thumb

A "regular Merkel is a good gun also.
It weight more than a Chapuis.
The "Featherweight" with its smaller frame and 21" bbls is lighter than the Chapuis.

It would be a great double for long walks, rough country or typical blind hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics have been sent to those that requested them. If you asked and did not get them let me know and I'll try again.
The one thing that the Merkel 141 has that no other side x side double rifle has (that I know of) is that its regulation is adjustable at the muzzle.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote