New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 470 in Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just received my order of Norman 470 from Graf and Sons. Despite prior reports, they are in a box of 20 for $199 each.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brass or loaded ammunition?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loaded ammo - their PH line.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 X 74 285 grain Oryx is also in stock.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
$199 per box Roll Eyes I thought Federal was the only one in the "screw us" business.

Come on Hornady, bring on the 470! If Hornady can make 450/400 for $69 per box I don't understand why others are so high on 470? Maybe it's the monopoly?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Just received my order of Norman 470 from Graf and Sons. Despite prior reports, they are in a box of 20 for $199 each.

Have you got a chronograph Jim?

I'd be interested in knowing how that shoots and at what velocity in your rifle.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it is not that bad, Superior gets $154 for a ten round box of 505 Gibbs. Still, it makes one wonder...

Have I mentioned that a round of 505 with my hard-cast bullets, 650gr at 2300fps, makes as good a tin can killer as the factory...at 35-cents a pop.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledg not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the PH line ammo is in 10 round boxes and is loaded in nickel cases with either Woodleigh FMJ or SP. The Norma Hunting (regular) line 470 is in 20 round boxes and loaded in brass cases with either Woodleigh FMJ or SP. The PH 470 is $162.99, the regular 470 is $199.99, these prices being from Graf's. In the regular line Graf's only has the soft point loads in stock and does not have a SKU for the regular 470 FMJ. In the African PH load they have both loads FMJ & SP.

Now Jim if you have a 20 round box of 470 there does it say African PH on the box? Or does it have a picture of Sven the Swedish Marlboro man?

And do chrono right away if at all possible.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
Now Jim if you have a 20 round box of 470 there does it say African PH on the box? Or does it have a picture of Sven the Swedish Marlboro man?

And do chrono right away if at all possible.

First, thank you for clearing that up. I was not aware that they were coming out with both lines at the same time.

Second, what is your problem?????

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you you mean what is my problem?

I pm'd you that it was I, among others maybe, who had posted alot of Norma ammo info here. What you are saying in this thread about what you just received is not what I have gathered from Norma, Black Hills Shooters Supply, Graf's and product catalogs. So if your contradictive info here is correct then what I have learned and posted is wrong. If what you are posting here, now, is incorrect info then you, sir, have a problem.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
What you you mean what is my problem?

I pm'd you that it was I, among others maybe, who had posted alot of Norma ammo info here. What you are saying in this thread about what you just received is not what I have gathered from Norma, Black Hills Shooters Supply, Graf's and product catalogs. So if your contradictive info here is correct then what I have learned and posted is wrong. If what you are posting here, now, is incorrect info then you, sir, have a problem.

Ace, I never received a PM from you. And hope I never do.

I have no idea what message you are trying to convey above, since I did state that I was not aware that Norma was coming out with both lines around the same time. I placed the order months ago, and just received the ammo. It was my intention to let people know that Grafs now had the ammo in stock.

You obviously feel that you are the board expert on Norma, having "posted alot{sic} of Norma ammo info here". While your status as a self appointed expert has obviously bestowed some status in your mind, I do not believe it grants you any license to engage in condescending and pitifully inane remarks. It was those remarks which I highlighted that caused me to ask the question as to your problem. Did you feel I was cutting into your staked out area of expertise by my thread? Seriously, what IS the problem?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can follow this; Norma brand "African PH" ammo has "African PH" printed on the box. Now Chief, did the Norma ammo you just receive in a 20 round box have "African PH" printed on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
First, thank you for clearing that up. I was not aware that they were coming out with both lines at the same time.

If I could have used a crayon to spell it out for you, I would have. I take the problem, at least in part, is one of attention deficit.

But beyond that, why the condescending smart ass reply? That was what I was questioning.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was an attempt at humor. Not meant to offend.

I spend most of my time here confused and screwing up. Just read the post I started on chronoing 470 Fed & Norma (actually I think you did). I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground and 400 Nitro Express didn't let me forget it. When I feel I've gotten some useful info to share I happy just to get it right. The world of DR's and NE data is not stuff picked up while multi tasking. I'm no expert at all.

If I post some info that's not right then I'm a dumbshit. If you got a 20 round box of Norma African PH for $199 then I got my info screwed up somewhere.

Mostly I was repeating what I thought to be the correct info. I've been waiting for this ammo, like others, esp. the PH. When the pricing hit it WAS the Federal snowjob all over again. It's the regular Norma 470 that's the bargain. There is no difference except the case and the price and soon it too will no longer be made. So then it's the PH470 load for $163 a 10 pak!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did NOT get a box marked PH.

For the difference between their PH and non PH ammo, I don't believe I'll be ordering the PH any time soon.

The only reason I order factory ammo is in the event I get stuck where my ammo does not get to where I am going and am forced to buy it.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
I did NOT get a box marked PH.

For the difference between their PH and non PH ammo, I don't believe I'll be ordering the PH any time soon.

The only reason I order factory ammo is in the event I get stuck where my ammo does not get to where I am going and am forced to buy it.

Absolutely right, DO NOT order Norma 470 in the African PH line over the Hunting line. O N E H U N D R E D T W E N T Y S I X dollars difference in price just so you can have nickel plated cases! shocker Actually Norma shows the regular load at 2165 and the PH load at 2100 fps. Who knows.

The Hunting line 470 load will be discontinued. Buy it up to for your factory ammo stash. There is no other awful discrepancy in the Norma lines but there are some issues.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Damn, Showbart, and Jim, I'm glad you guys got that straightened out! It was getting confusing to a dumb ass like me!

jumping jumping jumping

If you find yourself in a hole stopdiggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a box of the same Norma from Graf's yesterday.

Tha African PH ammo is a good for the 500NE and 505 Gibbs guys. It's great for the bolt gun guys too. 375-350gr @ 2300, 404 & 416s-450 gr @ 2150, 450 Rigby 550gr @ 2100. These are all terrific I think esp the 450 Rigby. There is no 458WM but it's still in the regular line. The 458 Lott in the PH doesn't make sense-500 gr @ 2100-I don't get that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can get 9 other 470 shooters to commit to order a 20 round box of Norma 470 NE FMJ Woodleigh then I can get Graf's to order the case. They've never had a SKU for the FMJ but they sell the SP load. Doesn't make sense. But Graf's pricing is fantastic. They ship ground free, have a minimal handling charge and over $150 on ammo you get 5% discount. This SP load discussed here was $189. That's pretty cheap for factory ammo, Norma Brass & powder, Woodleigh bullets.

Gfaf's won't special order it either. The next best deal I can find on the FMJ is Lock, Stock & Barrel at $209.25 plus $7.95 shipping. This is a special order by them. One box is OK.

I've got an email into the distributor to confirm that they have a full case.