THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A balanced view regards to double vs repeter.(Artical)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A balanced view regards to double vs repeter.(Artical)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.rifleshootermag.com...d-shot-bolt-actions/

From the artical:

"Another thing to remember about doubles is that, even if you’re faster on the second shot, you’re also faster to an empty gun,” he says. “Most dead hunters that are found after being killed by dangerous game have empty rifles.”

It may not add anything we may not know but what I didn´t knew was the above statement that dead hunters killed by dangerous game was found with emty guns!. It could have been the scenario that the hunter wasn´t fast enough to fire all shots he had.
As for me being an absolutly inexperienced with charging dangerous game I would preferre 2 hards shots from a .577Nitro rather than 4 shots from a .375H&H...considering all shots is hitting-shots.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Jens - I need to buy that 577 you talked about to be safe ?

Is it not the fact first shot must count that would " help " all hunters ? Or hold back the shot until you are sure that you are able to make a killing shot ? I am not speaking about unprovoked attacks which I fully understand can be totally different to handle.

In July I made a bad shot on a Buffalo cow in SA. I created by that shot a potential dangerous situation if the cow later decided to attack someone. To make the story short; after 7 hours the cow took another 6 shots from me including 4 from a helicopter before situation was solved. This incident made me think about my responsibility to other people in the party as I was the guy that were going to fire the initial shots at the DG.

This is maybe not your point in the thread Jens - but surely something to have in mind when hunting DG. Since I am not able to buy a 577 I have decided to excercise and shoot the most I can with my 450 to be best possible prepared to hit an ele brain from all potential positions. Is it a fact that we hunters do not shoot enough being prepared to hunt DG ? And then you find yourself in trouble with an empty gun ?

Interesting article - and something we hunters should prepare ourselves to avoid !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are in the wrong place for a discussion of the merits of double rifles versus bolt actions. Here, double rifles will win every time with the possible exception of shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards, and even then, most of the regulars here on AR can (or claim to) do that too.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You are in the wrong place for a discussion of the merits of double rifles versus bolt actions. Here, double rifles will win every time with the possible exception of shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards, and even then, most of the regulars here on AR can (or claim to) do that too.

................................................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Edited to add to comment!
quote:
by: Monty Kalogeras

“I timed shooters for almost two years to see which type of rifle allowed them to deliver the fastest aimed follow-up shot,” he says. "The key word is aimed." It’s not simply a matter of making the gun go boom a second time but a matter of delivering an accurate shot, coming down from recoil and sending a second shot into the target that is in the right place to stop a charge.

I agree with Monty fully with his take in the quote above in bold! I know Monty and he can work a bolt rifle as fast as anyone I have ever seen, and hits what he shoots at!

I submit that the key word being AIMED is just as important to a person shooting a bolt rifle as it is for a person shooting a double rifle when stopping a charge!

However I agree that it makes absolutely no difference how fast one shoots any kind of rifle if he misses the proper placement, and because of that fact one must assume if AIMED it is far faster to recover from the recoil and change triggers than it is to recover from recoil and get the second shot after working a bolt under the same conditions!

Monty is correct a shot missed is valueless but applies equally no matter what rifle it is fired from!

Now hitting a P-dog at 400yds with any big bore rifle is IMO not a sure thing! hilbily

.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote