Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Brass Trimming
 Login/Join

posted
Still quite new to the DR world. I now have a fair amount of brass that needs trimming. I was wondering what setup for trimming these cases you gentleman would recommend?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the quantities relevant to a 470 I use the forester setup

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Yes on the forester or even a trim die.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I shot a fair amount of 470 and only used a trim die with a good file.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I use the Forster Classic Trimmer for all my large nitro cases and would recommend it.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the Forster Classic Trimmer for all my large nitro cases and would recommend it.

This

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Trim die for all big bores as far as I am concerned. Very little to go wrong and easy to use.

I wonder if anyone one makes a model that has changeable bushing multiple calibers. Similar to cast bullet sizing dies

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Called Forster and know all I need to order to go that direction.

I had not seen a trim die before, but found a video for using them. Quite simple and I'd think cheaper. What I can't find for all my searching is where to order a trim die for this caliber. For those of you that have gone this route, where did you get your trim die from?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
.....Quite simple and I'd think cheaper...

.....where to order a trim die for this caliber. For those of you that have gone this route, where did you get your trim die from?

Well, did you try searching Huntington/RCBS or Redding special order.

Or Ebay?

EXAMPLE:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speci...e:g:bBsAAOSwllpbICvm
RCBS Group L - Cheaper? .....NOT

I have several Nitro Express above .45 caliber RCBS file type trim dies........IMO you can trim a LOT of cases with a Forster Classic set compared to the “Current” price of a file type trim die.....just sayin’

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
.....Quite simple and I'd think cheaper...

.....where to order a trim die for this caliber. For those of you that have gone this route, where did you get your trim die from?

Well, did you try searching Huntington/RCBS or Redding special order.

Or Ebay?

EXAMPLE:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speci...e:g:bBsAAOSwllpbICvm
RCBS Group L - Cheaper? .....NOT

I have several Nitro Express above .45 caliber RCBS file type trim dies........IMO you can trim a LOT of cases with a Forster Classic set compared to the “Current” price of a file type trim die.....just sayin’

I had no luck finding them on any of the various reloading company websites including RCBS and Redding, but I also have not yet called them, tomorrow hopefully if my day allows. I hadn't even thought of Ebay.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mine is an RCBS from Huntington’s.

http://www.huntingtons.com/store/home.php?cat=75

You may want to give them a call soon.

PRECISIONEERED DIES
AFTER 70 YEARS OF MAKING SPECIAL AND CUSTOM DIES, THE BEAN COUNTERS AT VISTA (RCBS) HAVE DECIDED TO DISCONTINUE MOST (95%) OF THE ITEMS THE SPECIAL ORDERS/CUSTOM DEPARTMENT MADE.

HERE AT HUNTINGTONS WE STILL HAVE A GOOD STOCK OF RCBS SPECIAL ORDER RELOADING DIES. CALL FOR YOUR NEEDS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use file trim dies for cases I intend to crimp, much more accurate and the crimp needs to be consistent, especially to the cannalure on some bullets..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote