Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon 470 trail boss load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Found a load in Hodgdon data for the 500 grain Woodleigh using Trail Boss. 45.5 grains. Anyone had a chance to try that yet?

Don't know how long the load has been out there, but it's the first time I've seen it. Reluctant to use rules of thumb loads in an expensive double rifle, so the published data intrigues. Have been using 325 grain Hawk bullets, RL 15, and Dacron filler. The filler sure does sparkle in the sunlight. Pain to reload that way.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HT,
Trader Keith sells pre=cut foam wads by the bagful. Easier to load than Dacron, they seem to desinegrate on firing. I use them over RL-15 inmyt .470

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Found a load in Hodgdon data for the 500 grain Woodleigh using Trail Boss. 45.5 grains. Anyone had a chance to try that yet?

Don't know how long the load has been out there, but it's the first time I've seen it. Reluctant to use rules of thumb loads in an expensive double rifle, so the published data intrigues. Have been using 325 grain Hawk bullets, RL 15, and Dacron filler. The filler sure does sparkle in the sunlight. Pain to reload that way.

I use to use the Dacron then switched to backer rod that you can pick up at lowes or home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-...Rod-71480/202066515#

Much easier takes no time at all to cut with a razor. Never find them on the range either? Dacorn makes a mess on the range.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McKay,

That is a great idea. Caulking backer rod, 1/2" diameter, 20 feet long, that is a lot of wads for $3.48.
Made of polyethylene foam.
Air whipped into milkjug plastic.
Should be harmless, and handy.
Avoids tedium of cutting plugs from urethane packing foam with a chamfer-sharpened 50 BMG case. tu2

OP:

quote:
Originally posted by H T:

That is a mystery load to me.
Must be some good reason for it to be listed?
For 500-grain Woodleigh "RN,"
velocity 1257 fps, pressure 26,500 psi.
It might shoot to near same POI as normal regulated load,
since it has much slower rate of muzzle rise though a much longer barrel time.
Almost half speed and almost half pressure.
Should be safe to try.

Is Trail Boss like AA 5744 regarding NO FILLER recommended no matter how small the charge?

Yep, I reckon it is.

Trail Boss is a fast-burning pistol powder.
"The burning rate of Trail Boss is about like Winchester Super Target or Hodgdon International Clays and, in fact is faster than Winchester 231." This according to Trail Boss supplier, Hodgdon's 2013 Annual Manual, per author Steve Gash.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Do not use filler with TB.
The TB is very light and fluffy.
45 grains is actually a very large volume.

I have used it in 470 with 520 grain hard cast lead bullets.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely no filler with Trail Boss.

I did go to the local Menard's and bought some caulking backer rod to use with other powders needing filler, like RL-15 in 470 NE.
It comes as both 1/2" and 5/8" diameter. 20 feet of either for less than 4 bucks makes a lot of wads. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is information on shooting Trail Boss in doubles from a previous post....
Have fun.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...031091091#3031091091

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Yes, definitely no filler with Trail Boss.

I did go to the local Menard's and bought some caulking backer rod to use with other powders needing filler, like RL-15 in 470 NE.
It comes as both 1/2" and 5/8" diameter. 20 feet of either for less than 4 bucks makes a lot of wads. tu2

It comes in 3/8 as well which I expirimented in my 375 flanged. But it ended up being not needed. Use the 5/8 for my 577.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Here is information on shooting Trail Boss in doubles from a previous post....
Have fun.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...031091091#3031091091

The absolutley most important thing with Trail Boss is to NEVER compress it. No fillers are needed. It was developed for the cowboy action crowd as a way to prevent double charging light pistol loads. You will be surprised how bulkey it is the can looks like a standers pound container but onley holdas 8 oz.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
WOW, 45 grs of Trail Boss in a 470! shocker

Maybe if that's what the data says but IIRC, my load for the 500NE was something like 24grs. It's a reduced load only and as others have said, you don't want to compress TB at all or else you'll experience severe pressure excursions. No filler ever with TB!