New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 2 3/8. 10.3 x 60R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Purdey double rifle, 450/400/ 2 3/8" being sent to me from across the pond. While in Switzerland, the gun was reproofed to a 10.3 x 60R, as the two calibers are the same size but the 10.3 being much more powerful and a popular size in Certain Swiss cantons.
A few questions; anyone know where to get 450/400 2 3/8" brass or 10.3 brasss and any experience with the 10.3 would be helpful.
Thank
JZ

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I dont know about more powerful, but it is basicly the same round. I have one in a blaser R93 it is a very accurate round and with .411 hornady 300 grn spire points it is a sub-moa gun. The intresting part is its bore is .413, pretty cool it is that accurate with the bullet being .002 undersized.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jaz

You might check with Aleko at www.heritagearms.net as he loads for the 10.3x60R and can probably get you some brass.

I have shot his Blaser R93 in the 10.3 and it would make a good deer and wild pig cartridge.
It is a great fun cartridge for a double rifle.

Also I think Bertram makes it.

Last resort you should be able to cut down 450/400 3 1/4" brass, but you would need case forming dies and probably a neck reamer. Much more economical, and easier just to buty the right brass to start with.

In doubles it was a Black powder cartridge, but you should be able to load up some Nitro for Black loads that will be safe in your gun.

I use Hawk bullets in my 450/400 3 1/4" for deer and pigs. They would work in your 2 3/8" 400 as well.

I would recommend the 300gr with the .025jkt.

www.hawkbullets.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Original ballistics for a 450/400 2 3/8" BP were a 230gr bullet at 1750 fps or a 255gr bullet at 1750 fps, both from 27 " bbls with 80 frains of black powder.

The Nitro for Black load was a 270 gr bullet at 1650 fps with 32 grains of Cordite.

Also you might check over at www.blaserpro.com as several people over there shoot that calibre in Blaser rifles.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help!!
JZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try huntingtons for brass

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy the new acquisition! I'd like to hear

more about the rifle. Has it exposed hammers? What is

it's weight, to the ounce? What is the barrel length?

Can we see pictures when you have time?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAZ, Your .450/.400 2 3/8 Purdey should be a great lightweight rifle. I have a Westley Richards BLE that weighs 7# 2oz.

Cases are easily made from .348 Winchester brass. They are a bit short when finished, but OK for most purposes. There are plenty of .410 pistol bullets that can be used for most of your shooting. Of course, 3 boxes of Bertram brass and 500 or so Woodleighs probably shouldn't break the bank. You can get dies and everything from Huntingtons in one phone call as Tomo 577 says.
All the best, SXS

Posts: 29 | Location: Northeast USA | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have located brass and bullets, now I await the rifle.What attracted me too it, or should I say fell in love, is that it has bouquet and scroll engraving with heavily carved fences, all done by Jack Sumner. I'll post pictures when I get it>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to note that although Purdeys were well known as rifle builders in the percussion era; being responsible for the concept as well as the name "express rifle"; they made very few breech-loading rifles. Out of the 16,000 or so weapons produced between 1880 and 2000, fewer than 1000 were rifles. About 360 were hammer double rifles, 200 or so were of a mixed bag [single shots, bolt action, rook rifles, etc.], and only 410 or so were hammerless doubles.
Jaz, you have found a true treasure, especially as it has "extra finish" carved fences, or "scroll detonating" as it will appear in the log book. Very few guns or rifles have this feature unless recently built. I can't wait to see the pictures!

All the best, SXS

Posts: 29 | Location: Northeast USA | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote