Notify
Tools

.360 No.2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted
Gentlemen

I have a Lang .360 No.2 due to arrive to me from Champlins tomorrow. Dies and some formed cases to follow after my inspection.

I have been told that cases can be formed from .450 nitro brass. Some say the .450 nitro shellholder will work and others say special order shellholder. New Bertram formed brass is available, but have heard rumors of problems with their brass.

Anyone know the facts?

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been told that cases can be formed from .450 nitro brass. Some say the .450 nitro shellholder will work and others say special order shellholder.

Don:

Technically, no to both. The .450 3.25" NE has a max base diameter of .545" and a max rim thickness of .042". The .360 No. 2 has a base diameter of about .540" and uses a larger diameter .060" rim. Thus, neither case body nor rim are correct.

The .450/.400 3" Nitro Express has a max base diameter of .548" and a max rim of .065".

That said, the .360 No. 2 has a substantial shoulder. Sized to headspace on the shoulder, the thin rim .450 can work.

As you can see, the first question with the .360 No. 2 is - what are the chamber dimensions of that particular rifle (what is the largest base diameter and rim thickness it will chamber)? These vary. Those dimensions will dictate which cartridge to form from.

In the beginning, I'd try Bertram to see how well it works. I've had no luck with it at all, but a friend has had great luck with it. It's worth trying.
---------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I have 20 new Bell 450 nitro base cases with .065 Max rim thickness. They are listed as Jeffery rim cases and one of the calibers listed on the package that can be formed from them is 360 No2. I'll give you a good deal on tham. PM me.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 40 rounds of that, too, with the same sticker on the boxes.
---------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Bertram cases in my 450 No2.

Some of them have been fired at least 30 times.
I have never lost a case.

But... In my 9,3x74R Chapuis Norma cases will seperate on the third firing.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I use Bertram cases in my 450 No2.

Some of them have been fired at least 30 times.
I have never lost a case.

But... In my 9,3x74R Chapuis Norma cases will seperate on the third firing.

I have had the same experience with my 470 Norma cases. At least the ones I purchased four years ago. I also have some of the same that are
over 10 years old and they are on their 8th or 9th loadings.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the input.

Received the Lang yesterday and have been licking the honey off ever since.

Yesterday I spoke with Terry at Jamison International. They are entertaining my idea that they make a run of .360 No 2, properly head stamped from their .450 basic. I have asked what the minimum commitment would be for such a special run. She was very receptive and hopefully will be back in touch with me today.

I'll keep you posted.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Congratulations!!!
I handled that gun a few weeks ago...Beautiful piece! The Lang is a very well made gun. I believe this one was on the "long bar" Webley action. Handled very well...You must be most proud.
Please keep us posted on how she shoots...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the photos of it in my digital camera. It's a standard Webley PHV-1 Model, finished by Webley and retailed by Lang. The Webley serial number is from early 1906, and the Lang number appears to be for 1906 also. Nice wood.

That a Lang from this period is a Webley product is to be expected. The Webley brothers acquired the Joseph Lang business in 1898. H. J. Webley became managing director of Joseph Lang in London, while T. W. Webley was managing director of Webley & Scott in Birmingham. Lang was operated as a Webley O & O until it was sold and liquidated into Grant & Lang in 1925.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I handled your 360 No2 a few weeks ago when I was at Champlins with a couple of other Nefarious AR Posters, that will remain nameless... Big Grin

Of all the Medium Bore "back in the day" British Doubles, I think the 360 No2 is one of the best.

I rate it the equal to the 9,3x74R and the 375 Flanged and 375 H&H.

O would not hesitate to hunt cape buff or brain shoot elephant with it.

The fact that this double is scoped is a BIG PLUS IMHO.

Let us know how she shoots.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks for the kind words.

Jamison is closed on Friday's. Hopefully I'll have some positive news early next week from Terry.

Safariman1 is helping with case dimensions, etc. and is forwarding an original Kynoch round that me drops right in his Wilkes. I in turn will check and forward the round to an owner of a Lancaster to check for fit.

Anyone who has an interest in Jamison brass in .360 No 2, please let me know and/or contact Terry at 605-347-5090. Jamison listened to us on the .450 No 2 and perhaps we can make it happen again.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donald

May I suggest getting hold of the Original Kynoch drawings for the 360 No 2 round ?

Wouldn't it be better to base it from drawings than a round ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Perhaps we can give them the drawings of what theoretically should fit as well as what, in reality, does fit.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Perhaps we can give them the drawings of what theoretically should fit as well as what, in reality, does fit.

Well I would say from the 360 No 2 I've seen that Kynoch being probably the only source of ammo in the past, nearly all chambers would fit the old Kynoch specs.

Why change the specs based on ammo cases if the true drawings are available ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Where would one get a copy of the original Kynoch drawings?

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/360%20No2.htm

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Where would one get a copy of the original Kynoch drawings?

Don:

David Little has what original Kynoch records survive. He'll have the factory drawings. Contact at the site Mike Brooks posted.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thanks for the help.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Terri at Jamison International has informed me that .360 No. 2 brass is on schedule for 2010.

See new topic ".360 No.2 Jamison brass"

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don