THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Copper fouling and regulation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper fouling and regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted
I was interested to know if any of our members had experienced noticeable deviations in the regulation of their doubles if the barrels were fouled up with copper.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I haven't but this is a great opening line for 'Shootaway'. rotflmo

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
I was interested to know if any of our members had experienced noticeable deviations in the regulation of their doubles if the barrels were fouled up with copper.

Jan, I've not noticed fouling changing regulation, but have noticed it opening up the composite group of both barrels, and shrink again when cleaned!

................................................................... Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A higher velocity chambering, like a 300 WSM or 300 Win or 338 Edge or a 30-06 will usually go 35-40 rounds before accuracy is affected. I have personally experienced this time and time again with everything from factory hunting rifles to full up 1000 yd BR rifles.

It also seems that the slower the velocity the less the fouling. Add in to that how each barrel of a double is only fired for half the total round count. Bottom line is I don't think fouling will ever be much of an issue in a double unless one can't find the time to clean every 80 rounds. I typically clean my double after every couple range sessions, and that results in cleaning intervals nowhere near 80 rounds.

Here I am speaking of smokeless powder rifles. I expect black powder doubles do need very frequent cleaning.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:

YES YES YES! Welcome to the real, honest and accurate shooting world!
You need to take out all the copper for effective shooting.You need to stay away from any oil too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Never in any of my big bore doubles. My 375 flanged yes. But not till 40-50 rounds down each tube.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Never in any of my big bore doubles. My 375 flanged yes. But not till 40-50 rounds down each tube.

Yeah right if it were no issue for you I doubt you would have dished out the money and bought a borescope.IMO,for you to have done so, it was because you were having serious fouling issues.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afp:
A higher velocity chambering, like a 300 WSM or 300 Win or 338 Edge or a 30-06 will usually go 35-40 rounds before accuracy is affected. I have personally experienced this time and time again with everything from factory hunting rifles to full up 1000 yd BR rifles.

It also seems that the slower the velocity the less the fouling. Add in to that how each barrel of a double is only fired for half the total round count. Bottom line is I don't think fouling will ever be much of an issue in a double unless one can't find the time to clean every 80 rounds. I typically clean my double after every couple range sessions, and that results in cleaning intervals nowhere near 80 rounds.

Here I am speaking of smokeless powder rifles. I expect black powder doubles do need very frequent cleaning.

Afp, I totally agree with every thing you posted above with the exception of the sentence in bold above!

Almost the only time and place where the barrels share an equal amount bullets down the tube is on a firing range. In a hunting situation, which is what a double rifle was made for, the right barrel on a side by side, and the bottom barrel on an over under will fire at least 1/3rd more rounds than the other barrel. This is why you are more likely to find a more worn barrel on the right of a vintage s/s and the bottom on an old o/u.

Not that this fact will make any difference where regulation or lose of accuracy is concerned, but it will effect the amount of fouling in each barrel over time.

I agree that the slow bullet velocity will generate far less copper fouling than a rifle developing over 3000 fps.

I give all my doubles a good bore cleaning about twice per year, with a general cleaning and lubricating after ever hunt or range session. IOW, it makes little difference to a double rifle hunter in most cases.

...................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
My doubles I clean often, because I like to play with them and its an excuse to break them out and fondle them.

With my 338 and 300 WSM I only shoot TTSX's, I clean the bore when the rifle's accuracy begins to degrade. Generally I see between 50-60 rounds before the groups open up past the 1-1 1/2 inch range I hold my hunting rifles to.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
My doubles I clean often, because I like to play with them and its an excuse to break them out and fondle them.

With my 338 and 300 WSM I only shoot TTSX's, I clean the bore when the rifle's accuracy begins to degrade. Generally I see between 50-60 rounds before the groups open up past the 1-1 1/2 inch range I hold my hunting rifles to.

How could it be an excuse to break them out and...?

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

Yeah right if it were no issue for you I doubt you would have dished out the money and bought a borescope.IMO,for you to have done so, it was because you were having serious fouling issues.

Keep on being a fool. And "taking time off from recoil" Oh and while your at go rub off some more bluing with your Bore Paste.

Initially bought the bore scope to inspect firearms before I bought them. Use to buy a lot of old Winchesters. Was nice to see exactly what I was buying.

So keep on being a douche!

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Because most of my guns spend the majority of the year locked away in a gun safe.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because most of my guns spend the majority of the year locked away in a gun safe.

Where not talking about that kind of cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"We are not"or "We're not talking about".... Not "Where not talking about", unless that is attributable to some peculiar Canadian dialect.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
"We are not"or "We're not talking about".... Not "Where not talking about", unless that is attributable to some peculiar Canadian dialect.

Dutch

I don't have to worry any longer as to what I will get on my report card.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that those who rode the short bus received report cards!

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:Almost the only time and place where the barrels share an equal amount bullets down the tube is on a firing range. In a hunting situation, which is what a double rifle was made for, the right barrel on a side by side, and the bottom barrel on an over under will fire at least 1/3rd more rounds than the other barrel.

My rifles get shot one or two rounds a year at animals. The rest of the time is at the range, so I estimate I get 100-200 shots at the range for every shot at an animal. I would love to be able to hunt enough where 1/3 of my shots were at animals. With my O/U shotgun, I might be 50/50 shots on birds vs clay.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote