THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New_Guy* Jump In! What's In A Name?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New_Guy* Jump In! What's In A Name?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not too long ago, I believe that it was new_guy who

pointed out that double rifles are never considered

to be DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES by the U.S government

with regards to taking a .50 caliber or larger example

out of the country, say for a safari in Zim, but the

ammo for such rifles is still unlawful to take out of the

country. I've heard "bore" sized rifles AND AMMO are

excluded from these restrictions as well. So, if you have

your new 577 NE made with the caliber stamped on it

as 23 bore and the brass you order says 23 bore, [or

if you go for 600 NE and the rifle and brass are stamped

20 bore] have you "beaten" the stupid bureaucratic reg-

ulations with a simple name change of your "caliber" to
"bore"? Confused

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Jack - You are correct.

Unlike your garden-variety howitzer, a double rifle is not classified as a DD (Destructive Devices) under the provisions of the NFA.

However, it is US Customs in particular that does not allow the temporary export of rifles or ammo over .50 cal.

The logical assumption regarding the US Custom's rule for temporary export is that they are obviously trying to prevent the export of “Destructive Devices,†and they have conveniently borrowed the .50-cal maximum designation as one of the NFA’s primary definitions of a DD.

Unfortunately for the hunter going abroad, they stop there: with that broad-sweeping “.50 cal†brush, and fail to recognize that there are exceptions to the NFA’s DD classification based on bore diameter alone.

Double rifles are one example, but you also see exceptions to the DD classification granted in bolt rifles such as the 600 OK and other cartridges over .50 cal that have received a “sporting†classification after review by the ATF.

In my experience, US customs personnel have specializations, and those that cover firearms seem to know their stuff.

You might get a rifle built outside of a CIP country with a “bore†designation, but I’m fairly certain that it would be illegal in a CIP country to mark the rifle with any other designation than that which is recognized by CIP.

2007 CIP countries are:
Austria
Belgium
Chile
Czech Rep.
France
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Russia
Slovenia
Spain
United Kingdom

Ultimately, you and I probably won't be able to get the Custom's law changed on our own, and I think this becomes a question of how often the law is enforced.

A guy going to Africa with a 600 NE that LOOKS like a sporting rifle, probably doesn't have any problems. Technically, he could. But doesn't seem to.

However, the same guy claiming to go on Safari with a 60-cal that LOOKS like the rifle below will probably will get asked a lot of questions.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,

That's NE 450 No 2's Squirrel rifle!

quote:

However, the same guy claiming to go on Safari with a 60-cal that LOOKS like the rifle below will probably will get asked a lot of questions.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Chris. I can't help it, I am always ques-

tioning these ACCUSED BUREAUCRATS!
Jim, put that B B gun away before some one looses an eye! shocker rotflmo

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote