New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valmet question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a Valmet 412 on GB with .375 Winchester double barrels.

Is there any reason you couldn't punch it out to .375 Flanged? I'm pretty sure the action will handle it, but have no experience with the Valmet rifles.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

Is there any reason you couldn't punch it out to .375 Flanged? I'm pretty sure the action will handle it, but have no experience with the Valmet rifles.

Jeremy

To my mind off course there is a reason, and that reason is there sufficient chamber wall thickness to safely allow the larger diameter and length of the .375 H&H Flanged Mag cartridge. The .375 Winchester chamber pressure is much higher than the .375 H&H Flanged Mag, therefore one would think that Valmet used steel with sufficient strength. I looked at GB and this Valmet rifle and my guess is there it is not a candidate for what you are considering. Might be for a .375 H&H 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express, however.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do factory chamber barrels up to 9.3X74R. The .375 flanged magnum is about 0.048" larger in diameter than the 9.3.

I have heard of one in 450/400 as well.

Probably would have to do some measuring and a few calculations to see if it would be safe.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a shotgun barrel set monoblocked and 450/400 barrels installed. I've only fired it about 50 times but everything seems fine. I've had a .375 Winchester barrel set rechambered to 375 Flanged Magnum. No problem, but I haven't fired it extensively yet.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

Jeremy

Have done it to two sets of 375 WIN barrels
worked fine

There was also the slightly more potent 375RDS based on the 45 basic brass

I have seen mono blocks barreled to 450NE and 450/400

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy;

Looks like you got a positive answer to your question.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy;

Just now while I was in my shop engraving a wrist watch (floral pattern in stainless steel--what a pain and stress), it occurred to me that I have a .375 H&H Flgd Mag finish chamber reamer. You can borrow it if you decide to pursue the Valmet project.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Transvaal, thanks for the offer.

Duggaboye: I've heard of the RDS cartridges, but haven't actually seen any data on them. Or even a drawing. Any info on them?

Thanks for all of the responses.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I believe the gentleman that created them has passed on.
He apparently was a Valmet dealer in AK then MI (?)
Think he may have posted here as "DM"

https://www.huntingnet.com/for...ges-i-mentioned.html

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/...es-valmet-412-s.html

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101037397

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Though I own several fine shotguns, when the dove season starts I always grab the Valmet Lion 12 ga shotgun that I paid $105 for. It has single trigger and full choke on the top barrel, and modified on the bottom and fitted with a selector switch on the trigger for selecting the barrel to fire first.

Unfortunately this shotgun will not except the rifle barrels used in the later guns, or I would have every one made for this shotgun.

These things are not pretty, but they are tough, and I have never had one instance of problem from the LION in over 25 yrs of hunting with it. If the newer Valmets are as dependable as the old lion, you cant go wrong with one sporting a pair of rifle barrels. They may look like an old chunk of Coal, but no matter they were made to use not look at!

……………………………………………….. tu2 old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at that rifle on GB. Did some research myself and they seem to be very well built firearms. Quite a fast twist rate too. CEB has a 175gr Maximus that should work outstanding in that rifle. Regulation might be interesting.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
They are solid guns for the money.

any that I bought that were single trigger, I converted to two trigger.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI