THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Who makes 9.3x74R with 24" or longer barrels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes 9.3x74R with 24" or longer barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
It seems that all of the 9.3x74R double rifles I see have 21" to 22" barrels. So who, if anyone, is making a 9.3x74R with 24" or longer barrels?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis has 24" barrels.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine too.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My FN-Browning o/u has 26" bbls.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Merkel, Krieghoff and Heym have 60cm - 23.5" barrels as standard - 22" are made on order or as a standard on Merkel 141 & 161 model - Ferlach doubles usualy have 26" bbls.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Actually, most European 9.3x74R doubles seem to have a barrel length of 600mm or 23.6". My Merkel 140 does and the Chapuis UGExpress, that I previously owned, did as well.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I ask because I have looked at several used 9.3x74 doubles lately (mostly Italian) and they all had 5o to 55 centimeter (19-1/2 to 21-1/2-inch barrels), which is shorter than I am interested in.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Dave, look for a used Merkel 140E! Merkel still makes it I think, but do not import into the USA. I have one and it has 24" barrels, and the "E" is for ejectors. the rifle is 8.3 lbs, just about right for a 9.3X74R double rifle! If you contact the Merkel plant, they may be able to import one for you! I wouldn't take a $6K profit for mine, it is perfectly ballanced, and shoots very well! IMO, the new ones (141 ) is not only too short, but too light as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Check Heym, they may make 26" barrels. I have 26" barrels on my 450/400 and I think they make them for their 375 Flanged...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEY MACD 37

HOW MANY ROUNDS HAVE YOU FIRED FROM THE NEW MERKELS WITH THE 21 1/2" BARRELS ?

THESE ARE FAST HANDLING RIFLES AND THE ADJUSTABLE MUZZLE FEATURE OBSOLETES ALL THE OLD STYLES.

BUT THE DIEHARDS WILL CLING TO THEIR OLD WAYS, JUST LIKE THEY DID WHEN THE " NEW " BREECHLOADERS WERE REPLACING MUZZLE LOADERS !

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE.

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
HEY MACD 37

HOW MANY ROUNDS HAVE YOU FIRED FROM THE NEW MERKELS WITH THE 21 1/2" BARRELS ?

THESE ARE FAST HANDLING RIFLES AND THE ADJUSTABLE MUZZLE FEATURE OBSOLETES ALL THE OLD STYLES.

BUT THE DIEHARDS WILL CLING TO THEIR OLD WAYS, JUST LIKE THEY DID WHEN THE " NEW " BREECHLOADERS WERE REPLACING MUZZLE LOADERS !

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE.

Hey tom, what's up with the yelling! All caps is considered yelling! Roll Eyes

I believe the origenal poster asked the question, "Who makes a 9.3X74R with a 24" or longer barrels?"
That being the case, the 141 doesn't apply!

However, to answer the question you yelled at me, I have shoot a 141 merkel chambered for 9.3X74R quite a bit, and enough to know it is not to my likeing. IMO, it is too light, and too short. I'm not impressed with the adjustable regulation either. It has nothing to do with sticking with "OLD WAYS" it is that the model 140E is simply a better ballanced rifle than the 141,and shoots just as well, if not better, and being better ballanced and a little heavier, it tracks running animals far smoother, than the very front light 141.

There is nothing to say anyone shouldn't buy a 141 with 21" barrels , and feather light, if that is what you want, but to say it is somehow an improvement over the 140E is simply not so!
..........................BYE wave

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

and this " yelling " by using caps is certainly the most childish thing i've ever heard of !

one has to have a vivid imagination and an acute sense of hearing to hear the "YELLING "

HAVE A GOOD DAY MAC !

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

and this " yelling " by using caps is certainly the most childish thing i've ever heard of !

one has to have a vivid imagination and an acute sense of hearing to hear the "YELLING "

HAVE A GOOD DAY MAC !

It's simply internet protocall, not my opinion, and you have been told by others before to loose the all caps writing. You may do as you please, but maybe that's one of the reasons why people are always jumping on your case. They think you are yelling at them! Wink

Did you ever take that Rhino darting hunt to complete your big five, in RSA? You coming to the DSC show next year?

............You have fine day Tom! Smiler

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
My Chapuis model UGEX's has barrels 23.5 in long. I know that doesn't meet your 24" requirment, but if you're looking for one, the best prices i've seen on new ones were at www.757arms.com

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader_555:
My Chapuis model UGEX's has barrels 23.5 in long. I know that doesn't meet your 24" requirment, but if you're looking for one, the best prices i've seen on new ones were at www.757arms.com

I don't know anything about that dealer, but that is a great price on the Chapuis, and it comes as close to 24" without being 24" as you can get!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith