THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Latest Searcy 450-400 Double Rifle Results!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Latest Searcy 450-400 Double Rifle Results!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
A year ago I purchased a previously owned 450-400 Searcy double rifle. Initially I couldn't get the rifle to shoot well with the loads that were recommended. Butch spent some time with the rifle, and recently sent me some new load data, along with a couple of boxes of the new loads. Here's the result with four shots:

I'm not sure you can get much better than this at 50 yards!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Very nice indeed.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Incredible! Congratulations.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
What loads are you using now?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a .470 by Searcy and owned another before this one that shot/shoot this well. Searcy's are incredible when it comes to accuracy. I don't know what his secret is but the Brits could take some notes from Butch on how to regulate a double.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I currently have a .470 by Searcy and owned another before this one that shot/shoot this well. Searcy's are incredible when it comes to accuracy. I don't know what his secret is but the Brits could take some notes from Butch on how to regulate a double.

Why the Brits ?

All my English guns shoot.

I would suggest Sabatti could learn a thing
or 2 !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current load is 78 grains of IMR 4831 and 400 grain Hornady bullets. The prior load that was recommended by the previous owner was 80 grains of IMR 4831. Two grains made all the difference! tu2

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wish I could see that well at fifty yards! Congrats.

Any idea of the velocity?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun

Not sure you want to.

I like a bit of a gap between the holes, they seem to stay parralel
if that is the case whereas if they are a tight group, they can / may
start to cross later on.

Just my HO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will: I'm not sure on the velocity as I don't own a chronograph. I'll ask Butch if he knows when I see him at the convention. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOAD FROM A DISK shows w/24" 79.9 IMR 4831 and Hor 400gr @ 1987 fps and 35067CUP 80% density. Dose that sound about right? 82.8gr @ 2112 and 39618cup with a 85% density.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are y'all using a filler with the IMR 4831??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Why the Brits ?

All my English guns shoot.

or 2 !!!

I've never seen a Brit double that will group as tight as a Searcy. Not saying they don't exist just that I haven't seen one yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never seen a Brit double that will group as tight as a Searcy. Not saying they don't exist just that I haven't seen one yet.

I have a couple.

i think the English do keep them apart a bit - or so it seems but then again, I haven't owned a new one so don't know if this is the case now.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
WOW, good shooting rifle Vaughn!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks my friend! tu2 It's a sweet DR! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
or 2 !!!

You mean like this??? (six rounds):

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, like that.

One of the better one's I have seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a ''accurate '' Merkel 470 you could guarantee to get 12 inch groups at 50 metres with any load you put in it ,when i got to Africa it was shooting 9 inches to the right at 20 metres[pos] ,i didnt keep it for much longer, my 500 A2 bolt puts its bullets into practically one hole at 50 metres. An inaccurate double is doubly useless ,i think the only double i would ever own again would have to be a Searcy !!!!!!!

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
I had a ''accurate '' Merkel 470 you could guarantee to get 12 inch groups at 50 metres with any load you put in it ,when i got to Africa it was shooting 9 inches to the right at 20 metres[pos] ,i didnt keep it for much longer, my 500 A2 bolt puts its bullets into practically one hole at 50 metres. An inaccurate double is doubly useless ,i think the only double i would ever own again would have to be a Searcy !!!!!!!

........ jumping jumping jumping

You could have done a lot worse than a Searcy to start with, Searcy double rifles are very accurate in my experience, but so are Merkels.

In regard to the "ACCURATE" Merkel, it could be what you needed was someone who could shoot a 470NE double rifle better, rather than a different rifle! Wink

I've never seen a Merkel 470NE double rifle or any other chambering that wouldn't shoot a composit group of 2 shots from each barrel into 4 inches or less at 100 yards over the bags starting with cool barrels, and a proper load. If you bought the rifle new, why didn't you send it back for re-regulation if it shot that bad? If you bought it used someone screwed it up before you got it! You must have bought it used because I simply don't believe Merkel let a rifle out of the factory that wouldn't shoot better than 12" at 50 meters. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

In regard to the "ACCURATE" Merkel, it could be what you needed was someone who could shoot a 470NE double rifle better, rather than a different rifle! Wink

I've never seen a Merkel 470NE double rifle or any other chambering that wouldn't shoot a composit group of 2 shots from each barrel into 4 inches or less at 100 yards over the bags starting with cool barrels, and a proper load. If you bought the rifle new, why didn't you send it back for re-regulation if it shot that bad? If you bought it used someone screwed it up before you got it! You must have bought it used because I simply don't believe Merkel let a rifle out of the factory that wouldn't shoot better than 12" at 50 meters. Confused

Agree Mac, agree on both points.

A friend of mine had 2 x 450/400's, he said neither would shoot.

1 I worked up different loads for and it shot fine.
The other one, my mate and I picked it up off the rack,
chambered 2 rounds, fired them at a target, and hey presto,
it shot beautifully.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the one i had was built the weekend after the Octoberfest ,judging by the wobbly engraving !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
I think the one i had was built the weekend after the Octoberfest ,judging by the wobbly engraving !

What is it ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That big piss up they have in Germany ,where they drink beer ,eat sausage etc[they have one in Brisbane havent been for years ] Smiler ,id like to go to that some day before my liver gives up completely

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know the big pissup they have in Germany ,eat sausage etc many hang overs after this one, lost property ! would like to go to this one day ,if my liver lasts that long Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tank

I meant the gun, what was the make of the gun ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle at the moment[bolt gun] ? just a
CZ550 with a 500 Lothar Walthar barrel[but accurate] ,you have a good weekend comrade ! banking on getting a 500 NE Searcy for by 50 th ,will let you know how it goes okay ! take care

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Merkel i had which was ''built''

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Vaughn nice very nice... Great shooting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Nice to hear from you. Thanks! Now with two great shooting DRs (.470 and 450-400), I'm ready for a ninth safari! Give your better half (Cherie) our best regards as well. Karol says hi to the both of you! Looks like you both had a great time in Dallas! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post

Yeah my Searcy 450-400 like to shoot well with 76.8grns. No complaints here. I just need to take it out and hunt with it.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
wow!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that. you might need to give it to me to take on a 30 day safari to try it out. LOL!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post

100 yard target same load.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote