THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What steps/questions do you go through in DR purchase?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What steps/questions do you go through in DR purchase?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the wealth of knowledge that visits this forum could you kindly give me a list of what procedures, questions, etc that you would utilize in the purchase of a new DR ( please think hypothetically that you are buying your 1st, but have the knowledge you posses now). The only rifles that i have gotten to get any kind of familiarty with are the Merkels due to the access to them via Cabelas and a dealer that is within driving distance. Being that these seem to be on the low end of the price range of DR's is this a "get what you pay for" situation? Any suggestons welcome.

Thank you

Posts: 26 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
1st step???... save enough $$$ to put a down payment to dale nygaard on a chapuis 9,3 x 74r... 2nd step???.... sweat like a pig for 6 months waiting out delivery..... 3rd step??... draft dale the balance and wait for 2 day delivery.... 4th step.... enjoy!!!.... i bought a chapuis in a group buy from dale nygaard here on AR... having never shot a DR.... i'd had the ammunition for a couple yrs anticipating ruger's offering of a #1 in this caliber... it never materialized, but the chapuis did.... i scoped it with a denver redfield 3-9, regulation didn't change any....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2834 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I would go to DSC or SCI and handle as many DRs as I could to get a sense of what I like and what is available.

I would spend as much as I could afford to get the "best" one the first time. DR's aren't a good place to try to go "cheap". The quality will be tied to how much you can afford. The low end rifles will work but the more you spend the more you get in terms of fit, finish and form.

I'd read and speak to as many people as I could and finally, I'd buy from someone who specializes in DRs and has a good reputation.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
1st step???... save enough $$$ to put a down payment to dale nygaard on a chapuis 9,3 x 74r... 2nd step???.... sweat like a pig for 6 months waiting out delivery..... 3rd step??... draft dale the balance and wait for 2 day delivery.... 4th step.... enjoy!!!.... i bought a chapuis in a group buy from dale nygaard here on AR... having never shot a DR.... i'd had the ammunition for a couple yrs anticipating ruger's offering of a #1 in this caliber... it never materialized, but the chapuis did.... i scoped it with a denver redfield 3-9, regulation didn't change any....

Then save some extra coin, read, read some more. Sell of a few rifles that do not see much use and finally send in that deposit for the DR you been dreaming about for the last couple of years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Buying a double rifle is like Andy Griffith once said " He got the 'bound tos and that's worse than the "cain't help its."

I know, I went through all the gyrations, frets, "oh, I gotta buy that one today" and other lamentations!

The most difficult thing about buying a double rifle is having patience!
There is no such thing as a dumb question. There are only dummies who don't ask questions.
When you buy a double (used) you need to spend some money and have it inspected by a gunsmith who knows double rifles.
Ultimately, the best double rifle is the one you like, can afford and the one you can shoot accurately!

You can always find folks here willing to help and provide guidance on how you should spend your money! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess i have lots of very basic questions then. Probably seemingly stupid to many who know these guns, but i havnt any local resources to ask, even the Merkel dealer that is in driving distance does not keep any instock.

If a person is going to purchase a new DR, say a new Merkel...should this be regulated from the company with a prescribed load? Here is what probably is a real dumb one...what does articulated trigger mean?

I have been strictly a bowhunter most of my life, but have always loved and purchased guns, just never gun hunted. The DR has been such an appeling weapon to me that i am now educating myself so i can be ready to purchase.

Posts: 26 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rakman:

Here is what probably is a real dumb one...what does articulated trigger mean?

No stupid questions, just uninformed answers Smiler

Articulated front trigger means that the front trigger is abel to pivot forward so your trigger finger wont get bruised when the gun recoils and moves. it is a really nice feature in the larger calibers.

ask away, as there are many people here with quite a knowlegde base, and share that freely.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few basic questions:
Will a DR come factory regulated?

I have found a Merkel 140 .500NE for 8K. The gun is brand new. I have read in other threads that one should shoot the DR before purchase, is that only referring to preowned rifles as i cant see a gun shop allowing the shooting of a new DR to sell it.

What is your opinion on the Merkel in .500 and do you think i will end up doing right by buying this gun new and not shooting it? Does the 8K price tag sound like a good deal?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have shot 3 Merkels in .500 NE. Now, what I am about to say is purely personal and should not reflect on how the rifle performs.

The Merkel 500 just kicks my ass! I hate shooting them. I have friends or as I call them ex-friends who have talked me into shooting theirs with a "special load", still kicks my ass!

I think it is a well made rifle. Those I know who own them, like the rifle. It is serious whomp! As I understand it some shoot the 500 BPE loads in their 500s. I would call the asking price "ball park".

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rusty, i greatly appreciate the info.

I realize that these caliber of guns will have recoil as i have never shot before, though i have never had problems with any of the guns such as .375H&H but am well aware this is a completly different deal. How great a difference is there between a .470 and .500?

Where should i begin if i buy this gun in regards to what loads i shoot. I do not load my own ammo, so a little guidence would be appreciated.

thanks again