8 x 68
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning, boys.

I am thinking of buying a rifle with two sets of barrels, .375 H&H

and the one mentioned in the title.

How the 8 x 68 caliber can work on a

double rifle, do you think shooting will be possible from a distance?

Best regards

Manuel.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Some makers are able to make the non-rimmed cartridges work well in a double rifle, and some are not. The 30 Blaser would have similar velocity and power to the 8x68S, and work better in a double rifle.

There are rimmed versions of the 33 Jefferies and 300 H&H as well, but they will have logistical issues.

Not sure what country you live, but sources of ammunition would be the primary concern.

I would think that since you want higher pressure cartridges that you would need a more unconventional double rifle that a standard Anson and Deely boxlock.

The Blaser S-2 style (I can't remember the name for this type of system) are much stronger. Your gunsmith would be able to help with that selection.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Some makers are able to make the non-rimmed cartridges work well in a double rifle, and some are not. The 30 Blaser would have similar velocity and power to the 8x68S, and work better in a double rifle.

There are rimmed versions of the 33 Jefferies and 300 H&H as well, but they will have logistical issues.

Not sure what country you live, but sources of ammunition would be the primary concern.

I would think that since you want higher pressure cartridges that you would need a more unconventional double rifle that a standard Anson and Deely boxlock.

The Blaser S-2 style (I can't remember the name for this type of system) are much stronger. Your gunsmith would be able to help with that selection.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I live in Argentina, I would not have ordered a rifle in such caliber, but it is done, it is a Fanzoj.
The ammunition is available, the doubt that arises to me, is about the behavior of double rifles, with calibers like this, or similar, useful for hunting at distances, for which a double was not intended.
Will he perform well at 300 yards?

Best regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you’re doing a custom double, then a .375 H&H Flanged is a great first choice. For a second set of barrels, if you can get brass and reload, then a .300 H&H Flanged or a 8x75 RS would be nice. Or you could just purchase a newer quality DR in.375 H&H Flanged, and you’ve got all you need.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
If you’re doing a custom double, then a .375 H&H Flanged is a great first choice. For a second set of barrels, if you can get brass and reload, then a .300 H&H Flanged or a 8x75 RS would be nice. Or you could just purchase a newer quality DR in.375 H&H Flanged, and you’ve got all you need.

Good afternoon colleague.

The rifle is made, I like it.
It's from a good friend.
What I want to know is if the 8 x 68 will work well with a double rifle, 300/350 yards. The barrels are 26 "

Best regards

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most double rifles are not suitable for long range shooting; very few will be regulated for 300 yards. It is not their forte.
If yours is, it is a rarity; yes some will, but most won't. Only way to tell is to shoot it. Of course you can always shoot only one barrel...
Or get a bolt action.
Some AR members do own rifles regulated as suitable for 300 yards. I have a dozen of them that, aren't.

Posts: 17279 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most double rifles are not suitable for long range shooting; very few will be regulated for 300 yards. It is not their forte.
If yours is, it is a rarity; yes some will, but most won't. Only way to tell is to shoot it. Of course you can always shoot only one barrel...
Or get a bolt action.
Some AR members do own rifles regulated as suitable for 300 yards. I have a dozen of them that, aren't.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have not tried it yet, I am waiting to go.

The concern was about the double rifle.

Why would they bring in 547-yard open sights?

Thanks again.

Best regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would have to shoot it and see what the regulation is at that distance.

I shot a Barbary Sheep ram in February the Chinati Mountains of West Texas. The shot was something like 400-420, I can't remember.

This was with a 13 pound sniper rifle built for 1000 yard shots.

I can't imagine any double rifle would be a 300 yard rifle consistently.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would have to shoot it and see what the regulation is at that distance.

I shot a Barbary Sheep ram in February the Chinati Mountains of West Texas. The shot was something like 400-420, I can't remember.

This was with a 13 pound sniper rifle built for 1000 yard shots.

I can't imagine any double rifle would be a 300 yard rifle consistently.

Thanks Bro

I have a 9.3 x 74 Chapuis and I have made good groups at 110 yards

I agree with you, 300 seems like a lot.

Best regards.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Congratulations to a wonderful double rifle!

I cant find any scope mounts on any of the barrel sets. If you had a scope, like 2-10x50 or similar on the 8x68 barrel set, I would zero one of the barrels (Right barell) at 200 meters and use it as a Kipplauf - single barrel rifle. Dont bother where the left barell shoot, if youre lucky it shots good enough with that barell as well.

8x75R would be a more sensible caliber than 8x68S on a double rifle.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Hi,
Congratulations to a wonderful double rifle!

I cant find any scope mounts on any of the barrel sets. If you had a scope, like 2-10x50 or similar on the 8x68 barrel set, I would zero one of the barrels (Right barell) at 200 meters and use it as a Kipplauf - single barrel rifle. Dont bother where the left barell shoot, if youre lucky it shots good enough with that barell as well.

8x75R would be a more sensible caliber than 8x68S on a double rifle.

Good afternoon colleague

It's a good idea, my intention is to put a 1-8 x 24 sight on the 8 x 68, my Chapuis makes good groupings with both barrels at 153 yards

I understand that it is possible to fire an 8 x 68 bullet with a double rifle.

Thank you very much for answering.

Best regards.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why does it have sights to 547 yards, is a very good question. Many old rifles have sights for extended ranges; many are for decoration only and wishful thinking. I have owned 500 BPE DRs with sights up to 600 yards. No way would it hit anything but a barn at that range.

Posts: 17279 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why does it have sights to 547 yards, is a very good question. Many old rifles have sights for extended ranges; many are for decoration only and wishful thinking. I have owned 500 BPE DRs with sights up to 600 yards. No way would it hit anything but a barn at that range.

How are you my friend

I appreciate your answer, sincerely, nor to me who have raised this
funny topic, I would think of doing long range with a double rifle.

Best regards Big Grin

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Thats a fantastic grouping!
Im elaborating with my SbS 9,3x74R double rifle. Have an Aimpoint Micro H2 2 MOA and a Meopta Meostar 1,7-10x42 mounted on EAW quick detachable mounts. Use the Aimpoint for driven hunts, and the Meopta for hunting in dusk situations like wildboars at bait, but also when you want to reackh a bit longer than with the Aimpoint. But the Aimpoint is fine up to 150-175 meters.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Thats a fantastic grouping!
Im elaborating with my SbS 9,3x74R double rifle. Have an Aimpoint Micro H2 2 MOA and a Meopta Meostar 1,7-10x42 mounted on EAW quick detachable mounts. Use the Aimpoint for driven hunts, and the Meopta for hunting in dusk situations like wildboars at bait, but also when you want to reackh a bit longer than with the Aimpoint. But the Aimpoint is fine up to 150-175 meters.

Good morning sir thank you very much
I think that Meopta is fantastic.
Mine is 1.5 to 6 x 42 and I use it at night in hunting.
The Aimpoint will be a fantastic complement.

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful rifle, is it a sidelock or are those sideplates?

His rifles are wonderful, he is actually a very nice man. When I was in my 20's I sent him an email about help finding information for the Ferlach gunsmithing school and he called me to tell me about the school and how to go about getting in. I remember it very well as he called me at 0300, I was living on the American west coast in Washington state at the time. Must have been over 20 years ago now, maybe 25.

Congrats on such a wonderful rifle.

And if he made it the pressures of an 8x68 will be nothing for it. Same as a Hubert Schierring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonderful rifle, is it a sidelock or are those sideplates?

His rifles are wonderful, he is actually a very nice man. When I was in my 20's I sent him an email about help finding information for the Ferlach gunsmithing school and he called me to tell me about the school and how to go about getting in. I remember it very well as he called me at 0300, I was living on the American west coast in Washington state at the time. Must have been over 20 years ago now, maybe 25.

Congrats on such a wonderful rifle.

And if he made it the pressures of an 8x68 will be nothing for it. Same as a Hubert Schierring.

Hello BWW, thank you very much for your words!

Wonderful story !, is a sidelock, I guess the pressures,

They will not be a problem, it is a very well built rifle.

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hinge pin is very far forward. It was made tough!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hinge pin is very far forward. It was made tough!

I do not understand

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The farther the hinge pin is away from the lock, the stronger a break action is.

In typical Austrian/German fashion this system was made for high pressure cartridges.

It is tough!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The farther the hinge pin is away from the lock, the stronger a break action is.

In typical Austrian/German fashion this system was made for high pressure cartridges.

It is tough!

sofa lol

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell it is a very well made double rifle and it is engraved with the scroll pattern that is distinctly Germanic in design.

The longer action type of your double rifle also makes it easier to open and quick loading for repeat shots.

Regards;
Stephen

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
I can tell it is a very well made double rifle and it is engraved with the scroll pattern that is distinctly Germanic in design.

The longer action type of your double rifle also makes it easier to open and quick loading for repeat shots.

Regards;
Stephen

Hi Stephen.

Your information is very valuable, I did not know that there were long and short actions, in fact, I do not know many things, since I am alone
an enthusiast who is here to learn. I read more than I write.
I leave you a cordial greeting.
Manuel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice doubel rifle set. I had the pleasure of visiting Ferlach last year and visited a number of the gunmakers including Fanzoj. There used to be lots of little independent gunmakers in the town. There are a new few and getting fewer as many retire. Fanzoj are one of the bigger ones remaining. And Glock has it main factory on Ferlach and employs lots of people. And The Ferlach Gunsmithing school is still thriving.

Ther is no reason why individual barrels of a double rifle cannot be accurate out to quite a considerable distance.

On German / Austrian rifles often the front trigger has a set trigger and its to this barrel that a scope will zeroed (I am talking more an over an under though) with the other barrel being brought in to shoot either parellel or to converge at a particular point of impact. If you are shooting at long range stick with the primary barrel and make the first shot count. Keep the 2nd barrel to sub 100 yd shots and where a quick follow up is needed.

Saying all the above, also on my Austrian trip I was up in the Alps huntig Chamois. Friends were shooting Marmots at long range with Bergstutzen - a 222 over a 30R Blaser and they were shooting them at 250 metres with the 222 barrel.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Thats a nice doubel rifle set. I had the pleasure of visiting Ferlach last year and visited a number of the gunmakers including Fanzoj. There used to be lots of little independent gunmakers in the town. There are a new few and getting fewer as many retire. Fanzoj are one of the bigger ones remaining. And Glock has it main factory on Ferlach and employs lots of people. And The Ferlach Gunsmithing school is still thriving.

Ther is no reason why individual barrels of a double rifle cannot be accurate out to quite a considerable distance.

On German / Austrian rifles often the front trigger has a set trigger and its to this barrel that a scope will zeroed (I am talking more an over an under though) with the other barrel being brought in to shoot either parellel or to converge at a particular point of impact. If you are shooting at long range stick with the primary barrel and make the first shot count. Keep the 2nd barrel to sub 100 yd shots and where a quick follow up is needed.

Saying all the above, also on my Austrian trip I was up in the Alps huntig Chamois. Friends were shooting Marmots at long range with Bergstutzen - a 222 over a 30R Blaser and they were shooting them at 250 metres with the 222 barrel.

Hi Heym sr20 (I own one)

I thank you very much, your generous comment, it contains field tests, I will have to prove how the rifle behaves, I will make it more hopeful, knowing it is not something wrong.

Very nice what he tells of his trips, there are cities that are outstanding in the industry, Ferlach, is undoubtedly one of them.

Best regards.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manuel:
quote:

It is tough!

sofa lol

Thanks

That is a beautiful double rifle! congratulations sir! I'm envious!

……………………...…………...... old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Manuel:
quote:

It is tough!

sofa lol

Thanks

That is a beautiful double rifle! congratulations sir! I'm envious!

……………………...…………...... old MacD37

Hi mac

Thank you so much for your words.

Kind regards to you.