THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Why GERMANY in bold on a Krieghoff gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why GERMANY in bold on a Krieghoff gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What I cannot understand, why does Krieghoff engrave like this…?

KRIEGHOFF
CLASSIC
GERMANY

I mean every hunter should be aware of the fact that Krieghoff is a German company. A short while ago I purchased a Krieghoff Hubertus single-shot rifle, there is also that bloody 'Germany' engraved. I'm German, so 'Germany' is not the problem, but in my opinion, that looks cheap. Are there any well-known gun manufacturers in England or Italy which engrave the name of the country as bold as in this case? Looks like 'Made in Germany' on a dust cleaner or similar...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Simple, "made in Germany" connotates quality, real or imagined..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Neither of my K DRs have Germany on them. They say; "Krieghoff Classic". But if they did, I wouldn't care.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean every hunter should be aware of the fact that Krieghoff is a German company.

Maybe, but when a fair few in the world can't place a country on a map of the world, it helps !!!

Do you know where every gun maker resides ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
I mean every hunter should be aware of the fact that Krieghoff is a German company.

Maybe, but when a fair few in the world can't place a country on a map of the world, it helps !!!

Do you know where every gun maker resides ?

.............Or who owns the companies? Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know where every gun maker resides?

The most important ones, yep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Would you like a Double Rifle by "Chanel" Big Grin

Doesn't have the same ring as "Holland and Holland" !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Neither of my K DRs have Germany on them. They say; "Krieghoff Classic". But if they did, I wouldn't care.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's not my rifle, just an example

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a good thing.If they are made elsewhere also then this way you can easily distinguish them and chose the one with the origin you want.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Brownings.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I am more concerned about the name CLASSIC.

If a manufacturer give the name CLASSIC to a brand new product, what should they call in this case Krieghoff, a handcrafted Musselverschluss pre WWI double rifle -NOT CLASSIC?

Or compare with Chevrolet, are the new Impala the CLASSIC model and a Bel Air from 1955 NOT CLASSIC model?

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:

If a manufacturer give the name CLASSIC to a brand new product, what should they call in this case Krieghoff, a handcrafted Musselverschluss pre WWI double rifle -NOT CLASSIC?

Or compare with Chevrolet, are the new Impala the CLASSIC model and a Bel Air from 1955 NOT CLASSIC model?

Dont forget that this is a factory rifle.It is not expected to be perfect in any sense but it does not mean that it isn`t.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by husky:

Dont forget that this is a factory rifle.It is not expected to be perfect in any sense but it does not mean that it isn`t.

I think that in the new things being called "CLASSIC" is meant to be a RETRO style copy or MEMORY type of product.

The K-rifle is, in some ways, far better in mechanical design than most true CLASSICS.

I fail to see what is wrong with the word "GERMANY" being found on a German made rifle! I have German made double shotguns, cape guns and double rifles and all have the place of manufacture on them regardless if they are as new as tomorrow ,or over 100 years old.

The newly made double rifles are simply what they are, working rifles that are not intended to be anything other than what they are, SOLID dependable rifles for use in the hunting fields for hunting what the chambering would indicate, nothing more, and in 100 yrs they will be CLASICS as well.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose they have to put the name and etc somewhere on it. Could be smaller print, microscopic size would be cool.. I think for me, I like where it is, on the bottom, of the K-gun, better than the ribbon on the side of the VC. But, at least their print size isn't overly obnoxious.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some countries (US is one) require the country of origin to be engraved on the gun, both a min size and depth

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd say they are proud of their nation, and their
product, which comes from within Germany's borders.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote