THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How do most of you line up on target?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do most of you line up on target?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious, I'm interested in knowing how many of you line up your target on top of the front bead, the traditional way, and how many of you put the bead on the target. I know of some good shooters who use the latter method of sighting on target. Post why you prefer one over the other.

Personally I use the traditional sighting target on top of front post because I feel I have a better field of view.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirklawyer,

I think the old time way was to use the center of the bead, at least by London gunmakers. I prefer to use the top of the bead. Actually around one inch over at 50 yards. I like to see where the bullet will hit and not cover it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle shoots about top of the bead. I like it, but I could live happily with either top of the bead or center of the bead.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I aim center of bead.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top of the bead for me.

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
How are you going to split into two equal weight pieces a standard sized house fly at 200 yards if you cover it up by centering the bead on it?

If you can pull that off, I'm guessing that it would just be an accident.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I was taught to use a "fine bead". It works best with a wide shallow V rear sight and a bead front sight.

Just the top half of the front sight shows above the rear sight. The top of the front bead is held on the animal wherever you think it should be -- based on distance.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just the top half of the front sight shows above the rear sight. The top of the front bead is held on the animal wherever you think it should be -- based on distance.

I'd like to know how many pages of not so fine print constitutes the instruction manual for all that. Is the Manual illustrated or just words? Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Center of bead.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I use a flat topped post and poi is on top of the post. (aperture)

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I believe this all has to do with the way your sights are set up by the maker unless the sights are adjustable! On my Westley richards double, it havs a fine bead, and a shallow narrow "V" on the back sight. This sight requires the bead to be shot in the bottom of the "V", with the aiming point center of bead, at every range on the standing blade, and the flip-up back sight.

I have two Merkels and both have the square aperture with the patridge (square) front sight. This sight requires the sights to be used as you would a pistol sight, with equal amounts of light on each side of the front sight with the top of the front sight even with the top of the back sight. This only allows the target to be on TOP or the front sight. I have a Grand Europian O/U that has adjustable sights, so it doesn't matter how you set them, and it has a scope in EAW mounts as well.

I have a 458 RCBS rifle with sights like the WR, but with a flip-up frong night sight. The small bead is shot the same as the WR, but with the moon sight flipped up, for close range, the large front bead simply makes a "Bull'sEYE" on the target and is center of bead up to 50 yds.

What all this boils down to is, it depends on what rifle you are shooting, and your personal preference,because any sight can be modified to your likeing! At long range I prefere top of the bead, so I can see the target! At close range (50 yds or less) it is point and shoot in most cases. More instinctive than anything.

I hope that was sufficiently confusing!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does this also come with an instruction manual? Smiler

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

Does this also come with an instruction manual? Smiler

........Been thinking about publishing one Will! Want to collaborate?
.......................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For bead front sights, I put center of the bead on intended POI. On blade front sights, POI is the top of the blade. Of course, I'm not implying that's always where they wind up hitting!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Center bead. Don't like large beads.
---------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote