Notify
Tools

Plink'n he 450/400 3 inch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Just got in some .408 bullets from HAWK BULLETS

The 300 grain bullets I will shoot with my regular RL-15 charge that I use with my 400 grain Woodlieghs.

I also got a few 270 grain and 235 grain Hawks to experiment with.

Anyone have a plink'n load that they would care to share?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

Talk Tony out of those 410-325 cast that I gave him. His 450-400 won't allow a bullet that large to chamber. Funny since he has dang near a 410 barrel.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Rusty, hope the leg is healing well. My plinker is 35 grains of 5744 with no filler, regular primers, for 1450 fps. Regulates well, just need to use the 2nd leaf to hit on the sights at 50 yds. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bob, the leg hurts like heck! Thanks for the information. What weight bullet. Bob?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Rusty, get well soon. wave Just to let you know, the "Band of Bubbas" will be happy to keep the spider webs blown out of you .40 cal.+ rifles, until you can get back on both feet. jumping Anything to help out a friend. salute

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NFMike
Funny think when I went to load those lead bullets the other day I could not find them.
I know they are in the house somewhere. I did have one out loose on my bench. It will go into a fired case and when loaded it will chamber, so when I get the chance I will load some.
I am In SLC on my way to an Idaho elk, black bear hunt and leave for Zim a few days after I get back from this trip so it will be a while.

Rusty I have a Nitro for Black load with IMR 4198 for my 450/400.
With a 300 gr Hawk I used 46gr of IMR 4198 with 12 grains of dacron filler.

Ross Seyfried reported that 44 grains of IMR 4198 with 12 grains of poly gave 1700fps.

Hope your leg feels better.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony

When do you get back from Idaho, so I know my deadline? BTW, good luck in Idaho. The whole damn state is on fire. We're choking on it clear down here.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike I get back on Oct 5 or6.
I leave for Zim on the 10th.
If it is not doable do not worry I have a back up plan,[your original suggestion].

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, that's cutting it close for development (on your end). They'll be there. Hope you're already packed for Zim.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information and well wishes, guys!

Tony, hope you and Peggy have a great trip!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 flat points Hornady

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
I shot bobc's double at the DRSS with all 3 of his loads.
They all shot very good.

Baised on how much the .025jkt Hawk expands at @2250 fps, it "coins out", I think you would still get good expansion at @1700fps.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll work up some loads on your 3/4, 75% rule Tony and I'll work on some 5744 loads for the 270 and 235 grain bullets.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny think when I went to load those lead bullets the other day I could not find them.

Tony - I've encountered the same type of problem over the last couple years...

Have a great hunt!

Howard.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Johan Loubser of Accurate Powder sent me the following info for 5744 to try when my own 450/400 arrives...whic should be soon as Butch emailed me yesterday and said my rifle was being prepped to blue. Smiler

210 gr bullets - reduced load 37.0 grains (1650 - 1750 fps)

300 gr bullets - reduced load 36.0 grains (1650 - 1750 fps)

400 gr bullets - reduced load 30.0 grains (1400 - 1500 fps)

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I'll give em a try!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a .411 bore I use 80 IMR 4831 and the 215 with the Hornady 300 405 bullet. Hits 2" below my regular 80/IMR4831 and 400 woodliegh at 100yrds.

I want to try some 41 mag pistol bullets some time.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
My rifle is a .408 caliber.
Since I'm stuck here at the house, I'll get some workup loads done this week.

I'll have to have Peggy drive me to the range, setup my targets, sandbags and chrony! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, PM sent with question. Please PM with comments if you have a chance.

Thanks

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Have you developed any loads yet?

I really like the scope on my 450/400.
I cannot wait to try some of my 300gr Hawks out to 200/250 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Mark and I took the 300 grain Haek loads to the range a few weeks ago. The rifle shot better with those loads than it did the 400 grain hawks.

I used 62 grains of RL-15 and Kynoch foam wads.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Excellent.
Those 300 gr Hawks are dynomite on deer and pigs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Ross S. gave me the 44 grains of 4198 as a NFB load. I shoot the Hawk 270 and 235 along with the Mount Baldy fn cast 255 grains with this load and cotton wadding. Exceptionally accurate in my rifle.

Dutch

DRSS member

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dutch.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!