Find
Notify
Tools

H & H 8 Bore Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted
I bought this rifle at auction a number of years ago. The original case which accompanied the rifle was dilapidated to the point where it was literally falling apart. After I spent well over a year collecting cleaning equipment, reloading implements, etc., I sent the rifle and the equipment off to have a matched set of fitted cases made.

One case contains the rifle along with anything needed to shoot and clean, etc. The other case houses all the reloading equipment. The cases were made by Kade Gile out of Lawrence, Ks. He is associated with Marvin Huey, and specializes in vintage case restorations and reproductions. The vintage reloading equipment was made by John Millar of British Columbia, Canada. The modern dies were by Dave Davidson of CH4D. These are display cases only. I would not want to carry them for any appreciable distance....they are VERY heavy. A few photos follow:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/soABxTsl.jpg[/img

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I remember the rifle. Wonderful what you have done. Absolutely stunning! Congratulations. Now, bring your treasure to the double shoot in Alaska May 2.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Well done. Kade is a talented man, he does truly impeccable work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely magnificent!!! Thanks for sharing!!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I remember the rifle. Wonderful what you have done. Absolutely stunning! Congratulations. Now, bring your treasure to the double shoot in Alaska May 2.
Cal

Cal: none of this, (including the purchase of this rifle), would have been possible without your counsel. I remember, James Julia had two 8 Bores up for auction during that session. You pointed me in the right direction regarding which to bid on. You also said,"If you want it, then bid enough to get it", (and I followed this advice as well).

I couldn't have tracked down all the sources for components without consulting your book, The British Bore Rifle. And finally, your help with chamber casting, bullet mold sizes, and brass ordering. Can't thank you enough.

I'll have to take a rain check on the double shoot up in Alaska....I've already got something going on at that time....but thanks for the invite! Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Wow.

That is absolutely beautiful work. I love the brass molds.

I have some questions I'll have to PM you about. I would love to get something like that for my 8.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
CHIPB,

Very nice!

I had John make a set of reloading tools for my Holland Paradox and he did a fantastic job as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
quote:
Cal

Cal: none of this, (including the purchase of this rifle), would have been possible without your counsel. I remember, James Julia had two 8 Bores up for auction during that session. You pointed me in the right direction regarding which to bid on. You also said,"If you want it, then bid enough to get it", (and I followed this advice as well).

I couldn't have tracked down all the sources for components without consulting your book, The British Bore Rifle. And finally, your help with chamber casting, bullet mold sizes, and brass ordering. Can't thank you enough.

I'll have to take a rain check on the double shoot up in Alaska....I've already got something going on at that time....but thanks for the invite! Cheers. Chip.

It was absolutely my pleasure!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's unreal.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
CHIPB:
One suggestion, if I may. You have a one-of-a- kind collection that will stay with you the rest of your life. Do this: get a quality photo album and have the case maker cover it in the same leather and keep a photo record of every step you take with this rifle throughout your life. Include in order the original purchase and catalog pics, your case's production and gathering of accessories, your targets and shooting experiences, and whatever hunting you do. When you are in the rocking chair your memories will be relived! Also, leep all paperwork, receipts, targets, etc. in plastic pages in the same album and also some 8x10s.

And, mentioning hunting, in July of 2020 I will fly to South Africa to hunt buffalo with my 4-bore Rodda. Would you like to come over with and bring your magnificent 8? You're invited and it would be a great experience to shoot some buffalo with classic bore rifles.
Just wonderin'
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing! Incredible!

Posts: 1066 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHIPB:
One suggestion, if I may. You have a one-of-a- kind collection that will stay with you the rest of your life. Do this: get a quality photo album and have the case maker cover it in the same leather and keep a photo record of every step you take with this rifle throughout your life. Include in order the original purchase and catalog pics, your case's production and gathering of accessories, your targets and shooting experiences, and whatever hunting you do. When you are in the rocking chair your memories will be relived! Also, leep all paperwork, receipts, targets, etc. in plastic pages in the same album and also some 8x10s.

And, mentioning hunting, in July of 2020 I will fly to South Africa to hunt buffalo with my 4-bore Rodda. Would you like to come over with and bring your magnificent 8? You're invited and it would be a great experience to shoot some buffalo with classic bore rifles.
Just wonderin'
Cheers,
Cal

Hi, Cal. Your suggestion is great. I have all the receipts, photos, letters of provenance from H & H, as well as a copy of their ledger sheet from 1884 showing the exact specifications of the rifle, etc. I'm pretty sure that Kade Gile, (the case maker), would be willing to make a book from the same leather....just a matter of time and money!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the hunting invitation!! That would be a blast, (no pun intended!!). I'll have to take a rain check, though.

I recall , a few months ago, a forum member asked you how you could afford all the hunts that you go on and the rifles that you buy on a retired school teacher's pension. Your response was very interesting to me. No mortgages, no credit card debt, no child support, etc.

My life has been much the same. However, about 2 years ago I embarked the project of building a house down in Tucson, all the while not accessing the equity of the house I now inhabit in Phoenix, (I just do not care for mortgages). Consequently, much of my liquidity has been spoken for, thus precluding some junkets that I would otherwise be doing. I hope your hunt is a great success.

I have a close friend, Walt Lewis, who lives in Willow, AK. For years I've been meaning to get up there for a visit. Perhaps I could arrange it so that the visit would coincide with one of your future double rifle shoots up there. Thanks again for the gracious invitation, Cal. Best. Chip.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
When you are ready, CHIPB, let me know. The shoots are always on the first Saturday in May.
Do have your book made, but keep it so you can add to it as the years pass.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely classic and incredibly beautiful. Hear stopping.

Thank you for sharing

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote