New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Help?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is a slightly used Sabatti in the Hamburg Cabela's store. Calibur 9.3 x74R Does anyone have any idea or information as to the previous owner. Also is there anyone who lives near the Hamburg store? Please PM me or post if you have any info on this rifle. Thanks!!

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
There is a slightly used slightly used Sabatti in the Hamburg Cabela's store. Calibur 9.3 x74R Does anyone have any idea or information as to the previous owner. Also is there anyone who lives near the Hamburg store? Please PM me or post if you have any info on this rifle. Thanks!!

Larry Sellers

Those words alone make me shudder at the thought
it has been returned for a refund.

Have you phoned them up and asked them ?,

It seems from some of the posts on here that
the staff quite happily tell people the gun
was returned, shipped from another store etc.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Larry,
No idea on the rifle but I'm about 1.5 hrs away from Hamburg if something is specifically needed. Remember, they will ship to a store near you for $25. If you don't like it, don't have to buy and all you are out is the shipping. On a side note, I've found that the Hamburg store is generally not as willing to come down on prices as others may. I just bought a gun directly from the Dundee store as the manager was willing to work with me more than I know Hamburg would.
Steve

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 - I was told the gentleman returned the 9.3 and traded up to a 470 NE Sabatti. The sent me pics of the muzzles and they looked good. They will ship to me for $25.00 as Steve (below)said with a 30 day return policy. I can shoot the rifle with Hornady ammo that was used for regulation and return for full refund if not satisfied.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
There is a slightly used slightly used Sabatti in the Hamburg Cabela's store. Calibur 9.3 x74R Does anyone have any idea or information as to the previous owner. Also is there anyone who lives near the Hamburg store? Please PM me or post if you have any info on this rifle. Thanks!!

Larry Sellers

Those words alone make me shudder at the thought
it has been returned for a refund.

Have you phoned them up and asked them ?,

It seems from some of the posts on here that
the staff quite happily tell people the gun
was returned, shipped from another store etc.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - thanks for the reply and will let you know if a visit to the store by you would be of help. They did come down a couple hundred bucks on the price along with the 30 day return policy for a refund if not satisfied. I have it on hold and will make a final in a week or so.

I feel if they will let me shoot it and if not satisfied refund the $$$, can't be a big risk at all. Will keep you posted. By the way, did you buy a Sabatti?

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
Larry,
No idea on the rifle but I'm about 1.5 hrs away from Hamburg if something is specifically needed. Remember, they will ship to a store near you for $25. If you don't like it, don't have to buy and all you are out is the shipping. On a side note, I've found that the Hamburg store is generally not as willing to come down on prices as others may. I just bought a gun directly from the Dundee store as the manager was willing to work with me more than I know Hamburg would.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry

With that additional information, by the looks of things, I think you have everything in your favour.

I'd go for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I second what 505G said. You have nothing to lose so go for it.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now my only worry is if I buy it and post here on the Double Rifle forum as Judge G did with his recent Sabatti purchase, will I create a firestorm? Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not if it shoots !

Apart from they should never have done what they did, IF you get a shooter for the price they are / have been selling them for, I don't have a problem and I don't think others do either.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel if they will let me shoot it and if not satisfied refund the $$$, can't be a big risk at all. Will keep you posted. By the way, did you buy a Sabatti?

My Sabatti 450/400 I bought over 2 years ago and have no regrets whatsoever about. I recently bought AND returned one in 500 NE. Wouldn't shoot worth a darn. Wanted to see about another but Cabelas said I would have trouble returning another, so I said screw it and bought a Merkel 140-2 in 500 NE. Just picked that up on the way home from work tonight!

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Larry,
My 450/400 was a returned gun and I have no regrets about buying it. From the way it shoots I have to say recoil or an angry wife was the reason it was returned. By the way, my 45/70 Sabatti shoots the same, sometimes better.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southeast Idaho | Registered: 25 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That RH target is a ripper, almost the perfect target. Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

If they had all shot that good they would be selling thousands of them today!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

That is an understatement !!!

They would be selling thousands,
no doubt about it.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here's how I see the Sabatti problem:

Powers-that-be at Cabelas decided that there was a double rifle market in America that needed to be tapped. They made some negotiations with Sabatti and/or the importer and all of a sudden had double rifles for sale at 2/3 to 1/2 what Chapuis, Merkel, etc., were offering.

For reasons unknown, some genius in marketing at Sabatti or Cabelas decided that the gaudier the gun looked, the more attractive it would be to the buyer, so really garish laser engraving was added on the DG models and an abortion called OptiWood on some of the lesser calibers. IMHO, anyway.

Most Cabelas salesmen know very little about any firearms, much less the complications that can arise in double rifle regulation. Of course, the average "Joe" who visits Cabelas (and who never thought much of double rifles outside of Outdoor Life or Robert Rouark) all of a sudden had access (at an affordable price) to a real-live Elephant gun.

"Wow! Look at what I got, Leroy!" Then... "Damn! This thing kicks like hell! And the bullets cost $100 a box.... I'm taking it back and it don't shoot like my Model 710, either." or... "I bore-sighted it and it don't shoot good with my 4-12x 50mm objective Tasco".

Sure, there were some real problems... too many, but some were because of unreasonable expectations.

Put the salesman and the uninformed prospective purchaser together.... and Sabatti, a small company, at best... and bad things are almost bound to happen. Add on an importer (If that's who did the Dremel "repairs") more than remiss in warranty repair and you have a catastrophe in the making:

1. More demand than capacity to produce
2. Over-the-counter customers that are used to Savages and Remington factory rifles shooting an inch with about whatever you put in it, who don't reload (and therefore can't regulate their on rifle with velocity, etc.)
3. Salesmen who can't help/teach the customer that you can't clamp a double in a LeadSled and duplicate the "test" target.... and who buys whatever ammo is cheapest or available.
4. An importer, who, it seems, was trying to save money with a Dremel tool instead of a time-consuming and expensive wedge adjustment and,
5. A few informed folks, like those who post here, who, not unreasonably, believe that all double rifles should be Mercedes, instead of Kia's... and who have the vehicle of the internet to damn the perfect storm described in 1-4 above.

So... Here's my assessment. Cabelas didn't know what they were doing. They apparantly thought all rifles were Winchesters or Savages or Mossbergs and never really trained their salespeople as to what they were selling. (I know this because I've yet to talk to a salesperson there who knows diddly-squat about doubles.)

So, the demand for a $5-$6K DG double exploded. Perhaps, Sabatti couldn't keep up the quality standard needed to meet demand and something "slipped" in QA. Certainly, whomever decided to bore-out muzzles was trying to save money.

Anyway... I'd imagine everyone is partially right. Doubleriflejack and Mac, too. When Sabatti does its job, you get a pretty good Kia of a double... even though it's too duded-up for my tastes. When Sabatti tried to make 1000's as below mentioned, some bad stuff happened to include an uninformed public, poor salesmen and a bizarre Drimel fix... all exposed on the internet.

My take on this:

Sabatti is quite capable of making small quantities of "Kia" doubles but bit off more than it could chew. Cabelas stood up to their guarantees, but didn't know what the heck the Dremel fix was (or didn't care?) and the importer exacerbated the sad story by unethical fixes.

As I said, a perfect storm.

Still, some of us got really nice, cheap doubles and are happy with them. I just hope Sabatti can regroup and remember their hat size.

quote:
quote:
quote:

That is an understatement !!!

They would be selling thousands,
no doubt about it.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Judge; I will take your thoughts a step further regarding the overall quality of the Sabbatis. Dremeled regulation notwithstanding, the gun's action, form, fit and function were (are) very good indeed. They've been examined down to the last nut by some credible gunsmiths and the workmanship was very good.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Like I said by analogy, Jorge. There ain't anything the matter with a Kia. We're on the same page, at least as to the five or six Sabatti's I've shot.

Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Judge!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge

I certainly think you have factored in an aspect that we haven't discussed much, that being the sales people and lack of knowledge.

I think the Dremel fix came in a bit earlier in that it was done right at the beginning as soon as Cabelas ordered them unless that is what you were saying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the Sabatti's is that the short cuts show up sometime. My 500 that I was so pleased with had the ribs pop loose after about 1000 rounds. Cabelas would not help and just sent me to EAA for the repairs. They have had the gun a long time and keep telling me they are going to send barrels back to factory for repair. This really worries me because how are they going to regulate the barrels without the receiver? I guess they will put them on another receiver to do that. Why wouldn't they send the whole gun back? Anyway as happy as I was with my 500 now I would not recomend them as I think there are just way too many issues with them. I will keep my gun because I don't think it will sell very easy. That is if I ever get it back. Some of these guns shoot really good and the price is going down but I think the jury is in and the verdict is guilty of poorly making a double.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srose

Interesting.

I wonder how many others have shot 1000 rounds through them if that is what it takes for the guns to show rib problems.

I know the 3 that had rib / barrel issues here
were used in competition and so they would have showed up pretty quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505G,

Yes and how many doubles of any make have had a 1000 rounds through them? I shoot a lot and have quite a few doubles that I have put a lot of rounds thru them. Not many have had 1000 so this might be a test for any make double. I know of double shotguns popping ribs too after many many rounds. I guess it all depends on how well the solder or GLUE joints are between the barrels and ribs. The one thing I noticed with my Sabatti is that the contact surface of the top rib to the barrels was very very small. Just not much there to be joined. The top rib couldn't have been much thicker than a 32nd of an inch because I could pull it up with my fingernail.
Yes if Sabatti would have done it right to start with they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough but they didn't and now Cabelas has them sitting on the shelves. I wonder how many have been sold that might only get one box of ammo shot thru them and the customer is a happy double owner. Probably a lot!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the people who use DR's in the BRGC would get a 1000 rounds though within a couple of years
due to the events that they can use them in and
the number of events.

But agree, not many shoot a lot of rounds.

It hadn't occurred to me that the 3 x Sabatti's that had rib / barrel separation problems here
would have been used for the BGRC comps, hence
why they maybe showed up quicker - and the lack of reports from the US of similar problems except for yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 45/70 Sabatti has fired 1000 rounds or more and has had no problems so far.
I have loaded 800 rounds of 450/400 ammo and use it in the double and a Ruger #1. Since I don't shoot the Ruger very often the Sabatti has fired at least 400 rounds with no problems.

I think another problem that Cabelas may have created is a contract with a penalty clause for late delivery. If Sabatti would have taken the time necessary to work out the bugs they could have made a really nice KIA.

The engraving on the trigger guard and top lever is done with a laser, the receiver is engraved on a CNC mill with an abrasive coated ball mill.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southeast Idaho | Registered: 25 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
I don't think so. No matter how well they shoot there is only so much demand for a big bore double, or any double.
Now, if you took a double and attached multiple picatinny rails for lasers, flashlights, and bipods, added a grenade launcher and dipped the whole mess in camo paint, they probably could have sold many thousands of them. rotflmo

quote:
quote:

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idahoshooter:
Mac,
I don't think so. No matter how well they shoot there is only so much demand for a big bore double, or any double.
Now, if you took a double and attached multiple picatinny rails for lasers, flashlights, and bipods, added a grenade launcher and dipped the whole mess in camo paint, they probably could have sold many thousands of them. rotflmo

Idaho, you may well be right on the ASUALT WEAPON CONERSION selling them, because the folks who buy that type are more interested in show that quality or accuracy!

Accuracy has no place in an assault weapon! The idea is t fill the airspace with bullets and hope it hits as many enemies as it can, both the ones you can see the unseen in light cover. Big Grin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaahhh, but Big Bore double rifles have been used in war before !!! Big Grin

WW I

Would have been fun firing a big bore from a trench !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now my only worry is if I buy it and post here on the Double Rifle forum as Judge G did with his recent Sabatti purchase, will I create a firestorm? Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

Larry, if the gun is a shooter, then this thread will probably collapse into a smoking ruin just like JudgeG's did after his gun was shown to shoot well.

And if it DOESN'T shoot...full-on Chernobyl, here we come!Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, you're right about the use of the phrase "Elephant Gun" by casual sportsmen. I can't count how many times I've had people refer to my doubles and big bores as "Elephant Guns"...funny :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my .458 Win Mag one day and someone asked me if it was an elephant rifle, I pointed at my 7x57 and said "that caliber has probably killed as many".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other side of the Sabatti coin to me is: there are the ones in Aus mentioned, those were not Cabelas guns, were they built in the same time period? There are other dealers around besides Cabelas. I wonder if the issues apply only to the guns built in a certain time period, or apply to the ones built and shipped in the last year. Granted , the new ones are not the Cabelas 3000.00 guns, likely 6-7 now, but, I wonder if they have cured their ills on the newest ones. Have the odds improved on getting a good one? There are a couple of shops up here with them, I wonder, whether what they have , is getting a bum rap due to the Cabelas batch. I doubt I'd run out and get one right now, but, maybe to order one, in another year or two, what sre the odds?.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they were built in the same time period.
Some have ground muzzles.

Timing for when they got here would
be about right as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"There are a couple of shops up here with them,"

How long have they had them ?

Are these new or post Cabelas not wanting exclusivity any more ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears Cabelas has bent over backward trying to take care of dissatisfied Sabatti owners and that is a good thing.

At the same time Cabelas is the root of the problem because with their buying power they could of held EAA and Sabatti's feet to the fire and demanded better customer service and build quality.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

WW I

You are correct! In WWI the Germans were notorious for utilizing snipers in the most urban warfare. They would put snipers in the upper floors of buildings and the would ease up to a window, fire a shot, and move quickly behind the wall next to the window out of sight. The big bore double with full steel jackets would simply fire on the wall next to the window shooting through the stucco & lapp or wooden wall killing the sniper who thought he was safe behind the wall where the small caliber bullets couldn't penetrate.

This was not a common thing but it was used. In actuality the S/S double rifle, from the early flint lock, is the only hunting firearm that started life as a HUNTING rifle, all others were designed originally for warfare!

The Bolt action rifles we think of as hunting firearms today are only war weapons pressed into the hunting fields, but are still basically war weapons.

...................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought and have read that they also used these big bores to knock down the metal plates that snipers hid behind.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought and have read that they also used these big bores to knock down the metal plates that snipers hid behind.

That as well! tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say, as to how long the dealers up here have had what they show for stock. Probably all came into N. America at about the same time period, thru the the same distributor, I expect.
I think, the first I noticed of them, was around 5 yrs ago. May still be drawing stock from the same batch , from the same distributor, anyway.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a long time to be holding stock.
A very long time.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WW I

You are correct! In WWI the Germans were notorious for utilizing snipers in the most urban warfare. They would put snipers in the upper floors of buildings and the would ease up to a window, fire a shot, and move quickly behind the wall next to the window out of sight. The big bore double with full steel jackets would simply fire on the wall next to the window shooting through the stucco & lapp or wooden wall killing the sniper who thought he was safe behind the wall where the small caliber bullets couldn't penetrate.

This was not a common thing but it was used. In actuality the S/S double rifle, from the early flint lock, is the only hunting firearm that started life as a HUNTING rifle, all others were designed originally for warfare!

The Bolt action rifles we think of as hunting firearms today are only war weapons pressed into the hunting fields, but are still basically war weapons.

...................................................................... coffee

Also, Baron Bror Blixen Finnecke mentions in his book "Letters from Africa" how a friend of him used a H&H .465 N.E. Royal in the Western trench war and had one confirmed down shooting of a German Biplane

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote