THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    470NE Bullets: What are your favorite?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470NE Bullets: What are your favorite?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which bullets do you prefer for buffalo (soft & solid) and elephant (solid)?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BUFFALO: North Fork cup nose. www.northforkbullets.com

Elephant:

GS Custom FN solid. www.gscustom.co.za

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Living here in Australia the 500grn Woodleigh bullets are my natural choice.
They have not let me down yet, but I have seen some problems with the 375 300grn bulets when shot at high velocity.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I use 500 grain Woodleigh soft and solids in my 470 double. These were recovered from buffalo.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use woodleigh for my big guns above 375 and barns bullets for anything under 375.

i used wooleigh to take my elephant

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
#1 North Fork Cup points, and flat points

#2 Woodliegh softs, and solids

#3 HAWK for plinking, and deer/boar (Cheap)

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at my post under African Hunting.....you'll see why I like the North Fork Cups for buff. Never shot an elephant....yet...but I've read some articles recently about round nose solids penetrating more IN GAME than flat nose solids....don't know if that's true or not. No need for softs with Cups if you're hunting buff.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Woodleigh softs and solids from my 500/465 and 470 doubles on elphant and buff. I have had perfect results from both and will use them again.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift a-frames for softs on buff, Sledgehammer and Woodleigh solids on buff.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Woodleigh.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
Not a .470, but a .450-3 1/4.
I use Woodleigh's only, and nothing else.
But hey, I'm more of a traditionalist.
If I had a .470, I'd still use Woodleigh's.
Come to think of it, I use Woody's in my Lott too, and even an 8mm light rifle.
So, I guess I'm a Woodleigh freak.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Although my 470 Merkel was regulated with Trophy Bonded I have shot only Woodleigh's. I also use Woodleigh solids in my 375. Have no complaints in their performance.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote