THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    German double caliber question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German double caliber question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just bought a German double rifle from an auction house. They say it is marked 8.5mm. I know that the Germans usually mark a rifle caliber that reflects the measurment from land to land. Has anyone got a guess what this might be? Could it be a 9mm x ? Thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
" 8 mm S " Caliber? 8.5 mm would mean .338 - the Reb cartridge? Or do they mean 8.15 mm ( Target round), but why should it be chambered in a double?

Or is it "9.5" mm - that would mean .375 ( H & H belted or flanged )?

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Casper50!

Could it be 8,5x63R?? Don´t know much about this caliber other than Krieghoff chambers the Classic model for this cartridge. And it´s a fairly new caliber!

If you search for 8,5x63R here on AR you´ll find some info!

Don´t know if this was helpful but good luck!! And post some pictures please!

By the way!

Who is the manufacturer of the double and which model is it?

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WELCOME TO THE DRSS !

BEST TO MAKE A CHAMBER CAST WHEN YOU GET IT.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been out of town to my daughter's collage graduation. It's an old hammer double from Germany. Immanuel Meffert is the maker. It has a set of 20ga barrels with it also. At $1100 I took the chance. It's still in Germany at the moment, when it gets here I'll take some photos. I don't believe that it would be the 8.5x63.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote