Find
Notify
Tools

Attach forearm to barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I would like your experience or opinion on whether one should attach the forearm to the barrel while in your luggage for Africa or should one separate it from the barrel?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is more of a queston of the case you have. I may not be understanding your queston. Do you normaley store the forearm on the barrels? Some cases don't have room to do it that way. Perhaps it is a queston of preventing damage to the forearm? I would be shure the case fitted tight and had good hold downs and would use some extra foam padding to beshure nouthing rubed or shifted in transit.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually wrap the forearm in bubble wrap and put it in the case separate

but when carrying 3 rifles in one case i put the forearms on the bbls and still overwrap with bubble wrap.

so far no problems either way.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Bill,
When I have traveled in the past it has been with the forearm detached and wrapped in a towel then stuck in the takedown case which is inside a short Tuff Pak.

A friend advised me that I should detach the barrel from the stock but put the forearm back on the barrel and it would be less likely to be broken.

That is what I was wondering about.

Tomo - I hadn't thought of bubble wrap. That sounds like a good idea.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would agree about "breaking down" the rifle.
I'd wrap each individual part. What you don't want to do is provide leverage that would break the stock at the wrist.

For an eye opening look at what happens to rifles in a case,when it gets dropped, go to Americase
watch their drop tests.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I shipped mine to JJ Peredeaux he told me to ship it with the forearm atached to the barrel. I am going to transport it to Africa in this configuration.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
English cases for doubles were always set up for the forearm to be attached to the barrels. They did fine for 150 yrs. and those cases were nowhere near as tough as modern cases.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for the link to Americase. Educational to say the least, especially the statement that "clothes provide padding but not shock absorption". Certainly relevant for us Tuffpak owners.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Thank you Rusty for the link. I think it should be mandatory viewing for everyone traveling even to the range. That is an eye opening look at what happens to rifles in a case when it gets dropped. I have always been a fan of cases with tydowns and this just reinforces my opinion.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote