THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rimmed 416 - "PONDORO" Taylor's Words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimmed 416 - "PONDORO" Taylor's Words
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From "AFRICAN RIFLES & CARTRIDGES"

Regarding the Rigby .416 rimless, bolt action cartridge he goes on about the 2350 FPS MV and 5000 lbs. ME

and outstanding results on all dangerous game. He is very, very strong is his praise of this fine design.

I now quote from his book:

"I just cannot speak too highly of the .416. But I have never been able too understand why John Rigby hasn't

brought out a double-barreled edition of his .416, which he could have called a .416 No.2 and which could

have had the same ballistics as the Mauser - just as he has done is the case of his .350 and .275 calibers.

For ALL-AROUND WORK (emphesis mine) amongst heavy and dangerous game in any part of the world such a

rifle would be just about ideal. Fitted with 26" barrels it need not weigh an ounce over 10-lbs.; and there are

many men who would prefer such a weapon to anything in the .450 - .470 group, the average weights of which

run close on a pound heavier. I myself would prefer it very much for lion or tiger as there is less likelyhood of it's

bullet driving clean thru than in the case of the larger calibers. I know that I would never be happy until he had

built me a pair if only he could be persuaded to do so."

Some time ago I posted the question of what would the " shooting world" be saying today if RIGBY had done

what TAYLOR very much wanted, and brought out a 500/416 when he released his beautiful rimless .416. AR's own

Nitro Express said it would be the standard for the visiting safari client to AFRICA or something more or less

like that. I have to think N.E and PONDORO are right. This round is superior to the 450/400 (either 3" or 3.25").

I am NOT suggesting the 450/400 is poor. TAYLOR wrote a very flattering comment on it in this same book calling it

a very good choice for an all-around rifle. I am saying that the 500/416 is even better. And, I find myself in good

company. As you all know, I am NOT experienced in anything more than the east coast deer hunt, so this is NOT

meant to be praise for myself, but it is praise for the Kreighoff 500/416.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Taylor was right, if the 416 flanged had become a reality ,the hunting world could have been different .

But finally it came out, and he would probably have gottten one of the prototypes to test it out and really see how good it was.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting something of some sort for over 43 years now, and the 416 Rigby is my favorite game caliber.

I can shoot it off a bench, virtually all day. It wallops game, and is fairly linear out to about 200 yards.

To me, at least, the recoil is no greater than a 375 H&H. In the field, it performs better than a 375, probably due to the the greater bullet weight. With a bolt rifle, I never have to take it off of my shoulder to feed in another round.

The great big game cartridges were developed about 100 years ago, mostly through trial and error, with error meaning deceased.

A flanged double in 416 Rigby would have changed history.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack
Any of the 3 "400" Nitro double cartridges are probably the best choice for the modern sport hunter who desires a double rifle bigger than 9,3.

The only reason to gop any bigger is if you plan to shoot a lot of elephants up close.
Even then a 400 well handled will do the job... where as a 600 Nitro badly handled will not.

You should really come to the DRSS hunt in TX in Aug.
You can learn more about double rifles there, in less time, than anywhere else on the Planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DRSS sounds sssoooooo great. Unfortunately, I'll not likely be able to make it. Hope springs eternal...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am saying that the 500/416 is even better. And, I find myself in good company...., so this is NOT meant to be praise for myself, but it is praise for the Kreighoff 500/416.

I agree.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote