New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to DG's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have asked some questions before within other DG topics. Most recently I was taliking about getting a double possibly in 416 Rigby. One of the replies said to get a DG in a proper DG caliber. OK, my question is "What is a proper DG caliber?" I will be using this gun for Cape Buff on our next trip to Africa. I already have a 375 bolt gun, but want something a little bigger in a double. What would be close to a 416 Rem?

Thanks, and I know I will have more questions.

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450-400

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
450 3 1/4 Nitro Express

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see how about..470 NE... 500 NE... 577 NE..... 600 NE.... 700 NE....LOL Then there is the 500/416..?? New cartridge..The (B) word. I think. Cousin to a 416 Remmie if I am not mistaken.

Of course all of these loadings except the 500/416 are more ommph than the 416 Rigby.

My 416 Remmie shoots a 400 grain bullet @ 2525 FPS. very accurate and hits hard.

Really, I don't think you can get a 416 Rigby in a double rifle? It would have to be flanged?

But I could be wrong.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A proper double rifle chambering would be a rimmed cartridge. The 450/400 3" is a dandy, moderate recoil and ammo is available from more than one place. It's slower than the .416 Rigby, but most of the rimmed rounds will be. You can go up the the .450 3 1/4 for more power. It's a classic too.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Most rounds that have a flange type rim and have quite a large case for calibre that helps in reduction of pressures.
Such as;
7x65R
8x57R
9.3x74R
375Flanged
450/400
500/416
450NE
500NE
plus many more.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rimmed case gives more positive extraction/ejection. A rimless case requires a extractor/ejector with a spring loaded tab that jumps into the groove when the cartridge is loaded into the chamber. As a note, a belted rimless case will work the same but you will have to push the case past the spring loaded ejection tab to fully seat the cartridge in the chamber (just does not drop in).
If you have a sticky case there is a real chance the spring loaded tab will jump out of the rim leaving the case stuck in the chamber.
IMO a dangerous game double rifle should be chambered for a rimmed case.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I get it. For best extraction/ejection the base should be larger than the case like a shotgun shell case or a revolver cartridge.

For a Dangerous Game rifle, is an exrtactor or ejector model the way to go?

One more question, which calibers are readily available in Africa just in case mine does not make it?

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I get it. For best extraction/ejection the base should be larger than the case like a shotgun shell case or a revolver cartridge.
Yes

For a Dangerous Game rifle, is an extractor or ejector model the way to go?
Ejectors

One more question, which calibers are readily available in Africa just in case mine does not make it?
You should ask some one who lives where you are going

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poochuss:

Smiler - pick your poison

.470 NE - perhaps
.500 NE - maybe
9,3x74R - probably (Southern Africa)

.375 H&H, .458 WM - sure

375Flanged, 450/400, 500/416, 450NE hm...what was that?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
.450 3.25

Great bullet selection (.458), factory Hornady ammo readily available and the perfect upgrade from your .375.

Good luck!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
Really, I don't think you can get a 416 Rigby in a double rifle? It would have to be flanged?
But I could be wrong.

IIRC, Merkel has a 416 Rigby offering and Connecticut Sporting Arms (?) has a 416 Rem double rifle.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Keep your original plan in mind while you go through this process, and that being more power than your .375.

The 9.3x74 , .375 flannged and 450-400 are all going to not give you the desired extra power.

The 416's and up will. If you want to stay with the flannged case and it can not be denyed they are bomb proof then a 500/416 will be a good choice. It's hard to get brass for but most everything is when your in the bush in Africa.

The next reasonable choices would be a 470 and now that 450 is being made in the US that also would be a good choice.

I own and hunt with several double rifles and other break action guns (drillings, BBF's etc). They are chambered for both rimmed and rimmless rounds including one belted mag. Like I said a rimmed case is bomb proof for extraction but I have never had a failure with any of them. It will be up to you to make your own value judgements on ammo availbility Vs reliabilety.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want a light recoiling but perfectly good caliber; 450-400. If you like more recoil and power, go for the 470 or 450. You poor bastard, getting into DRs is like that first snort of cocaine; there is no turning back once you fire that first right and left. Welcome.

Posts: 17129 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice! Now to just sort it out for myself.
Looks like Buff next year!

Meat Eater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question, can a Merkel with extractors be upgraded to ejectors? I found a DG I am inyerested in but it has extractors.

Meat Eater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question, can a Merkel with extractors be upgraded to ejectors? I found a DG I am inyerested in but it has extractors.

NO

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't worry about it. I have 2 with extractors, not an issue in the field, especially if you practice pumping and dumping.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote