THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Seldom do we get a DO-OVER - I bought back my Verney Carron Custom Shop XA Azur 600NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seldom do we get a DO-OVER - I bought back my Verney Carron Custom Shop XA Azur 600NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Seldom do we get a DO-OVER - I bought back my Verney Carron Custom Shop XA Azur 600NE

Hello All,

You may remember my post back in 2015 when I bought my very first "BIG BORE" Double rifle. It was a Custom Shop Verney Carron XA Azur in 600 Nitro Express.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1018312?r=8301029312

Well, shortly there-after, I had Aaron Little build me a Custom 700 NE. That was truly an awesome fun project. .... I posted its making here on this Forum.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/9561066812

Over the following years, I displayed my double rifles at various Gun Shows, and I enjoyed the interest they brought from fellow shooters. There are not very many Big Bore double rifles here in Wisconsin. However, after I got the 700ne, no one seemed to pay much attention to the VC 600 ..... so ....... I sold the VC 600. Sadly, I missed not having a 600 so much, that a couple years later I had Aaron Little build me another Custom Double 600 NE. It was a Bernardelli Custom. That was an interesting project also. You may recall that post.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/3141016532

Although the Bernardelli Custom was a very nice Double, I always regretted selling the Verney Carron. The Bernardelli just wasn't in the same class as the VC was. It didn't have all the whistles and bells, and no where near the fine engraving of the Verney Carron - I really liked the Bank-Note engraving of the Rhino which was even signed by the Engraver. As many of you had seen, I sold a lot of iron last Fall, including the Bernardelli 600, to purchase my hunting land. So, once again I was without a 600ne ... and I really missed not having a 600.

Surprisingly, and fortunately for me, ... the friend that bought my VC 600 back in 2017, bought it with the agreement that I could have the "first right of refusal" if he ever decided to sell it. Well, that happened this week, and I didn't refuse it. I bought back my Verney Carron 600ne .... for the exact same price I sold it to him for 5 years ago. As I said in my Heading ... "Seldom do we get a DO-OVER".

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and that's a great story! Some of those VC doubles look fantastic, yours is no exception.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one hell of a Rook rifle - must have big crows in Wisconsin...

HB

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that same rifle some time ago, and one in 577 as well. It';s hard to beat a Verney Carron double.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I had that same rifle some time ago, and one in 577 as well. It's hard to beat a Verney Carron double.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Glad you got that back - the rhino is stunning.
Was this the double for which I lent you my 600NE reloading dies?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Congratulations and that's a great story! Some of those VC doubles look fantastic, yours is no exception.

Hello mt Al,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by HistoricBore:
That's one hell of a Rook rifle - must have big crows in Wisconsin...

HB

Hello HistoricBore,
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I like both ends of the spectrum when it comes to double rifles. Really small and really BIG ....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/1101051962

I don't use the 600 to shoot rooks, I use it to keep the elephant population in check here in Wisconsin.Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I had that same rifle some time ago, and one in 577 as well. It';s hard to beat a Verney Carron double.

Hello Biebs,
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like you stutter .. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Glad you got that back - the rhino is stunning.
Was this the double for which I lent you my 600NE reloading dies?

Hello CCMDoc,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, and thanks again for the loan of the resizing die. Hard to believe that was 7 years ago. Time seems to go by faster the older I get.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckstix,

Can see why you wanted it back, gorgeous. I agree that the Rhino looks outstanding along with all the rest as well. Have to hand it to you guys that can truly shoot the really big bores. They are just too much for me, I used to have a 470 but had to sell it, just could not become proficient with it recoil wise. I could not imagine what a 600 or 700 would be like. It must be quite the experience!!

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix what a great gun. Something like that which you had made for you, I'm awfully glad you were able to buy it back. Congrats!

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPetroni:
buckstix,

Can see why you wanted it back, gorgeous. I agree that the Rhino looks outstanding along with all the rest as well. Have to hand it to you guys that can truly shoot the really big bores. They are just too much for me, I used to have a 470 but had to sell it, just could not become proficient with it recoil wise. I could not imagine what a 600 or 700 would be like. It must be quite the experience!!

JP

Formerly JPaul

HelloJPetroni'
Thanks for the reply.

If you look closely at the last picture of the Rhino engraving ... the Engraver signed his name along the right edge. ...(tiny signature)

Here's what its like shooting the 700NE ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?...sfk&feature=youtu.be

After a session shooting the 600 and the 700 ... the 470 seems like a puppy.

quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Buckstix what a great gun. Something like that which you had made for you, I'm awfully glad you were able to buy it back. Congrats!

Hello ski1,
Thanks for the reply.

You can understand why I really missed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous and great you could get it back, at the sale price no less tu2

Good LOP. Enjoy again.

What velocity from Kynoch Ammo and your own and what handload did you use please?

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,

Thanks for posting that video. Really never bothered to look one up. Very interesting recoil cycle, yea!, more than I would want to give a go at. I did see that engraver signature, not sure how to pronounce that, especially with it being French, but always a good thing when the artist signs his or her name to a commission. I have found that massed produced factory engraving is rarely signed, just my experience. I did love the idea of having a 470 but the practical experience just did not work out and could not keep it for strictly nostalgic reasons, as strong as those may be. But it was a neat thing to have.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I'm not a double person but that is a beautiful gun and a great start to the year for you to have the cherished one return home.
As a matter of interest did your friend ever get to seriously use the VC or just keep it ready for you again?

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Gorgeous and great you could get it back, at the sale price no less tu2

Good LOP. Enjoy again.

What velocity from Kynoch Ammo and your own and what hand load did you use please?

Hello Rockdoc,
Thanks for the reply.

Back 7 years ago. factory ammo chronographed at about 1885 with 130 ft/lbs recoil. I have not fired it again since its return, but my previous notes show that I fired 197 rounds when I owned the rifle. I fired mostly 75% velocity loads with various 900g bullets. Best results were with 75g of IMR4198 powder. My cast lead bullets, the Woodleigh bullets, and Barnes bullets, all shot about 1-3/4" groups at 50 yds at about 1450 fps with 60 ft/lbs recoil. I never tried to duplicate factory loads with it.

VC 600ne - Factory Ammo Target
VC 600ne - 75% Hand Load

quote:
Originally posted by JPetroni:
Buckstix,

Thanks for posting that video. Really never bothered to look one up. Very interesting recoil cycle, yea!, more than I would want to give a go at. I did see that engraver signature, not sure how to pronounce that, especially with it being French, but always a good thing when the artist signs his or her name to a commission. I have found that massed produced factory engraving is rarely signed, just my experience. I did love the idea of having a 470 but the practical experience just did not work out and could not keep it for strictly nostalgic reasons, as strong as those may be. But it was a neat thing to have.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Hello JPetroni,
Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 other Verney Carron Double Rifles; a 470 NE, and a Vintage 475 No. @2 NE. But those are not near the beauty of this 600. (see links)

VC 470 NE
VC 475 No. 2 NE

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
I'm not a double person but that is a beautiful gun and a great start to the year for you to have the cherished one return home.
As a matter of interest did your friend ever get to seriously use the VC or just keep it ready for you again?

Hello eagle27,
Thanks for the reply.

I collect double rifles and mostly use them for paper punching, although I do take them out to hunt the "Dangerous Game" here in Wisconsin on occasion. Wink

Whitetail Buck Shot with 700NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent rifle in every way.....glad it came back home to you!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Nice. Sell one and you can afford to hunt with that in Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, for sure.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
Magnificent rifle in every way.....glad it came back home to you!!!

Hello degoins,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Nice. Sell one and you can afford to hunt with that in Africa.

Hello fairgame,
Thanks for the reply.

At my age, going to Africa is a dream, that is now a regret.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Nice looking rifle, for sure.

Hello Michael Robinson,
Thanks for the reply.