Find
Notify
Tools

Pigs with a double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
My friend Jared and I went pig hunting last weekend on a ranch not far from Abilene. It was a free hunt that another friend of mine had won in a raffle and was not interested in going. The landowner had feeders and stands but we hunted by spotting and stalking. We were instructed on the property boundaries, told not to shoot the cows and then left alone. Jared hunted with a Ruger 77 in 30’06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions and a Marlin Lever gun in 35 Remington with 200 grain Core-Lokts. I hunted with my Chapuis 9.3X74 with 286 grain Privi bullets. We both killed 3 grown pigs apiece plus we took out four of the young pigs. The landowners were adamant about killing all the hogs we could. The previous week they had had a helicopter on the ranch and had taken out 35 or so. We got our pigs on 3 separate stalks while they were coming out to eat in wheat fields. On another occasion while stalking hogs, I almost had a shot at a coyote but he was over three hundred yards away and wouldn’t come any closer to my call. Cows nearby were also an issue. Too bad, as I would have liked to have taken a coyote from that distance with my double. I got good performance with the Privi bullets. The big sow in the last pic of me was shot far behind so as to angle the bullet towards her off side shoulder. It had about 2.5 feet of penetration and broke the shoulder. I recovered the bullet under the skin and will take a pic and weigh it as soon as I get home. Most of our shots were around the 150 yard range. I did shoot smaller sow in heavy brush after we were looking for our pigs and it left a big hole in her side. The Privi bullets probably work best from a reduced velocity and longer distance though I don’t think any of the pigs noticed.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! A couple of them are pretty big.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! Yep that looks like Abilene country to me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Yes sir nicely done indeed clapwish I lived in Texas,always have fun when I visit.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice hogs, and they show the Euro background that is far more common in the East Texas woods, and farther west like Abilene and the Davis range, than in other place in the states. Where we hunt most they are are far more feral looking!

GOOD SHOW RAC, and a nice little Chapuis, as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice big pigs! What range do you have your double sighted in for? You say you had a 150 yard shot. Any sight adjustments? Looks like your buddy used a handgun too!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It was a great hunt. I am the other guy in the photos.

Peter I used the .44 to finish the 1st boar, in fact he was the only hog out of 10 to require more than one shot. I also used it to take three small pigs. I was hoping to get a large one with it, but the only one shot under 150 yards was RAC's last sow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome AgCat! My hog gun is a Freedom Arms in 475 Linebaugh.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Where we hunt most they are are far more feral looking!

Hey Mac! How about a little respect in describing your hunting buddies! Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need a hunting license to shoot pigs in Texas?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good shooting, you have to start to shoot head shots. Good shooting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

Alla non resident needs is a a non-game license! The feral hogs are cinsidered exotics. The license is under $70 That license doesn't include Javalina which is not a hog at all but collared Peccary a species all it's own.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great work men!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great work men!

+1++ beer Great work AND a great post, thank you.

I dont know if I should wish for this, but I wish we had wild pigs up this way, the 4 legged variety that is.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Nice big pigs! What range do you have your double sighted in for? You say you had a 150 yard shot. Any sight adjustments? Looks like your buddy used a handgun too!
Peter.

Peter, it shoots a couple of inches high at 100 yards. It seems to be dead on at 150.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Where we hunt most they are are far more feral looking!

Hey Mac! How about a little respect in describing your hunting buddies! Wink

Big Grin
Well maybe not feral, but some real currs none the less! I wouldn't hunt with them if they where throughbreds!

.......................... diggin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Is your 44 a TLA #5? Ivories look good too.

quote:
Originally posted by AgCatJHS:
It was a great hunt. I am the other guy in the photos.

Peter I used the .44 to finish the 1st boar, in fact he was the only hog out of 10 to require more than one shot. I also used it to take three small pigs. I was hoping to get a large one with it, but the only one shot under 150 yards was RAC's last sow.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wild boar caliber deluxe!!! I'm impressed.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Here is the performance and pic from the Privi bullet. About a 150 yard shot. 2300 fps. I shot the sow at an angle from the rear. Bullet entered her side, traveled about 2.5 feet and broke her off side shoulder. Weight 261.5 grains. Not bad for a cheap bullet.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats. I am envious of you Texans and the year round hog hunting you have!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JPK,
You know we Texans have always welcomed new blood to the mix. If you want to be a Virginian you're a couple of hundred years too late!

If you come to Texas pitch your tent, look around and decide that you like it, you are a Texan!

The glue that holds an eclectic population of diverse cultures together in such a vast and beautiful State is the simple fact that we all are Texans!

We'll be glad to have you among us!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm! I bought some Privi's too, just to practice with, but your experience makes them look pretty good for hunting (this side of the ocean).
Peter.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hmmm! I bought some Privi's too, just to practice with, but your experience makes them look pretty good for hunting (this side of the ocean).
Peter.

Peter, Privi's wouldn't be my first choice for a sure 'nuff paid hunt but they work great for deer and hogs.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us the name of the operation you were on?

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exotics??? You have got to be pulling my leg Mac! They are non indiginous vermin!
Organic targets!

EZ

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

Alla non resident needs is a a non-game license! The feral hogs are cinsidered exotics. The license is under $70 That license doesn't include Javalina which is not a hog at all but collared Peccary a species all it's own.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Exotics??? You have got to be pulling my leg Mac! They are non indiginous vermin!
Organic targets!

EZ

I didn't list them the Parks and wildlife did that. They are listed as owned game just like the Elands and Zebras and such on the game ranches! Never the less that is the license the non-resident needs. For Javalina he needs a full non-resident license @ $315

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigfats:
Is your 44 a TLA #5? Ivories look good too.[QUOTE]

Corect it is a TLA #5. The Ivorys were made by Paul Persinger of El Paso, Texas. It is a very good shooter, every bit the equal of my Freedom Arms.

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
agcatjhs,

Persinger did the ivories on my TLA as well. Nice rig.

quote:
Corect it is a TLA #5. The Ivorys were made by Paul Persinger of El Paso, Texas. It is a very good shooter, every bit the equal of my Freedom Arms.

Jim