Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement Bailal DR
 Login/Join

posted
Finally got new replacement rifle from Davidsons. Took it out yesterday to sight in. With new Leupold 1-4x, steel Millet rings, 300gr.load of proven accuracy the barrels have 4.5" vertical dispersion at 25yds., off the bench. This is the same as rifle I just returned! Not sure what is next.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast, Arizona | Registered: 04 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Isn't one of the barrels adjustable via a wedge?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Are you willing to work on it yourself (if you're moderately handy) just keep swapping them out?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are only adjustable in the horizontal plane, to answer GeorgeS question. However, they are also easy to adjust in the vertical plane if you are willing to do some work to it. As in, remove the locating pins and solder the front band to the barrels. You can then heat it and move it any place you want. That is what I would do.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At this time a will ask for a refund. I do not wish to fix (and void warranty) on a bottom line product. I will most likely try for new Kriegoff DR, ejector model.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast, Arizona | Registered: 04 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why Baikals cost 800 and Krieghoffs cost twelve thousand. I always expect to have to work on production rifles regardless of who or where, they are made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be pretty easy to slip in a piece of shim on the barrel that moves.

If you expected the rifle to shoot perfectly without putting any effort into it you picked the wrong rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Shim idea would be a no go; there is not enough room and the band is very thin. The barrels fit snugly in the band. I have heard of people using set screws but again, the band is very thin. Solder; easy fix.

posted Hide Post
I have no plans to chop up a new rifle to fix a factory defect. Am working with gun store and Davidsons on a possible replacement in .30-06 (thicker barrels, slightly more weight), and/or full refund. Last time I checked a proper re-regulation of DR barrels started at $800 plus ammunition cost. If this was a used rifle, no warranty,then I would consider other options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 45/70 did the same thing with vertical separation when they first came out. It was an easy fix. Went to the auto parts store and bought a feeler gauge set. It was very easy to slip the appropriate size feeler gauge between the band and barrel. Found the one that brought the vertical regulation to perfect, then broke it off even with the barrel band. I'm really pleased with this rifle now. You are talking about a fix less than $10.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Macy:
I have no plans to chop up a new rifle to fix a factory defect. Am working with gun store and Davidsons on a possible replacement in .30-06 (thicker barrels, slightly more weight), and/or full refund. Last time I checked a proper re-regulation of DR barrels started at $800 plus ammunition cost. If this was a used rifle, no warranty,then I would consider other options.

The Baikals are adjustable for regulation, therefore re-regulation is accomplished by the shooter.
I've owned 4 of these in the past and they are what they are. That being a cheap ass ugly double with piss poor triggers. But if you spend some time with them you can get them to shoot. A set screw is a good idea. I don't have a rifle to look at as I type this but the one's I owned had enough space to slip in a shim inside the barrel band.

Spend some time experimenting with it and you might be rewarded with a rifle that can shoot both barrels into 1.25 inches at 50 yards. I know all of mine pretty much did. Then get a trigger job on it and you will be good to go.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The one I have has zero room for a shim; the band fits very snugly to the barrels. Also, it wouldn't cost anywhere near 800 to fix this rifle; (more like one hour's work) that cost is for a traditionally made DR; I understand you do not want to do it. Again, they are what they are; an $800 double rifle with lots of potential. And best of all, easy to regulate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judge Jerry:
My 45/70 did the same thing with vertical separation when they first came out. It was an easy fix. Went to the auto parts store and bought a feeler gauge set. It was very easy to slip the appropriate size feeler gauge between the band and barrel. Found the one that brought the vertical regulation to perfect, then broke it off even with the barrel band. I'm really pleased with this rifle now. You are talking about a fix less than $10.

+1 tu2

Snowwolf dpcd; right on the money couldn't have said it better. Smiler

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Triple thumbs up. Trust us, an automotive feeler gauge shim will slip between the barrel and the band. They are only a few thousands thick and it makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by malek:
quote:
Originally posted by Judge Jerry:

+1 tu2

Snowwolf dpcd; right on the money couldn't have said it better. Smiler

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Trust me; no feeler gauge of any thickness will go between the barrel and the band on my Baikal. You would not want them to be loose. I just tried a .0015 feeler, the thickest in my set, and it won't even start to go in. If yours accepted a shim; good. Mine didn't need one, and I would not have used that method anyway.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I know I got lucky, but I bought mine in 30-06 brand new from my local shop for $600 out the door. Took it home and shot it with factory Federal Blue box 180gr. At 50yds off the bench with open sights it kept the first 6 rds all well inside of 3 inches without any adjustment. Considering the cost of the rifle and the quality of my eyesight, that is nothing less than exceptional. I painted the front post with some white enamel paint for easier viewing and called it a day. Like I said, VERY lucky!
P.S. I named it Ivan and am now looking forward to killing something with it! Big Grin

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mine will shoot well into 1.5 inches at 50 yards and took only a few rounds to adjust. It seems that the problems are with the 45-70s, which are more sensitive due to the slow bullets and recoil. (I did have a scope)

posted Hide Post
I obtained a refund. Will hold out for a Merkel or K-gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber?

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are two Ks in the AR classifieds now for very good prices; both 470s. Small cal Ks are impossible to find in the US; have to be ordered.