THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I am thinking about selling my doubles.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am thinking about selling my doubles.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about selling my 470 Merkel. The grip is just two narrow for me to hold with my hand problems. My 505 Gibbs and Jack"s Rigby were a lot easier to hang on to. My Gibbs did not move in my hand at all neither did the Rigby double.

I may just step down to a 450-400 with a 20 GA barrel set. I would have to sell my 9.3 and a very sweet AYA 16 to do it. I been told you can't stock them to work well as a shotgun and a rifle. What are your thoughts, Does any body shoot such a set up. Is it better to have 20 K invested in one fine two barrel combo, or in 3 or 4 different firearms.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD, I have a buddy with just that set up in a Heym. Unfortunately he could't make it last weekend or you would have seen it. He got it from Chris Sells, new guy. If you PM me, i'll see if can put ya'll in touch. Or give Chris a call. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, from a resale point, it would be better to have several firearms that a rifle-shotgun set-up. Someone shopping for a DR may pay a bit more if it came with a set of shotgun barrels, but not nearly enough to cover their extra cost. Also, shotgun and DR fit are both critical....if you use the same gun for both, compromises are inevitable. Buy a shotgun that feels right, then either a DR that fits, or there's no fleas on a top-end magazine rifle either.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs makes an excellent point. I have a Tikka 512SD with 9.3x74R O/U, 12 ga/ 7x57 O/U and 12 ga/12 ga O/U barrels. The 12 O/U barrel set is probably the last shotgun I would take hunting, but, probably because I have a choice!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs I think you are right on the money.

Peter I have a 512 in 9.3 with an extra the 12 GA barrel set up. Great little gun.I have shot ducks, clays, hogs, and a cow elk with it. Its my take it on vacation just in case something comes up I am covered to hunt just about anything gun.

I found a nice Chapuis in 470, I have been told It has a palm swell and a much fuller grip than the Merkel. Its a step up in that it has claw mounts ,cc lock,and interesting wood. I should get it this week. If it works better in my hands the Merkel will have to go. The Merkel shoots so well I hate to let it go.

JJ told me he can make me a 12 GA barrel set for less than the cost of a new shotgun,I can add them later if I want.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had this kind of cash available (that's the big "if"), and if I wanted a shotgun/DR set, and if I wanted one that has a solid, substantial grip, here's what I'd do - http://www.searcyent.com/for_sale.htm

I might even make a trip out there and look at it in person.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD valid point, but I find it (the 12 ga.barrels) rather heavy, so, certainly it is a one gun combo, but if I could take two guns I would! Reminds me, I need to take it skeet shooting!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
If I had this kind of cash available (that's the big "if"), and if I wanted a shotgun/DR set, and if I wanted one that has a solid, substantial grip, here's what I'd do - http://www.searcyent.com/for_sale.htm

I might even make a trip out there and look at it in person.

Great looking set but 3x out of my league

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
JD valid point, but I find it (the 12 ga.barrels) rather heavy, so, certainly it is a one gun combo, but if I could take two guns I would! Reminds me, I need to take it skeet shooting!
Peter.

Shotguns should have a little weight, it evens out the swing and keeps it moving. I got a nice little 16 GA aya that might go 6.5lbs maybe. It took a year to learn how to shoot it.

Carrying a 7 1/2 lb shotgun on a quail hunt will help keep you in shape for carrying that 12lb double rifle.

JD

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro