New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you folks found that you LOP remains the same for Double, as it would for a Bolt Rifle?I realize this is a novice question..Thanks for your help..Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No! Mine is about 3/4"- 1" longer for a double rifle as compared to a bolt gun with a scope.
First of all the LOP is measured to the front trigger of a double which may be 3/8-1/2" forward of the typical position of a bolt gun with the trigger at the rear of the guard.
It may be more natural to shoot a double more like a shotgun (double) and not crawl up on the stock to get a appropriate sight picture through a scope.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EZ
Thanks for the info...that helps

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
No! Mine is about 3/4"- 1" longer for a double rifle as compared to a bolt gun with a scope.

+1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a DR with the same stock dimensions that I use on custom-stocked shotguns. LOP longer than on my bolt-actions. It feels right.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoulder a double rifle that has the same LOP as your bolt gun, you'll instantly notice that it doesn't feel "right", and DRs are all about feel.
The shotgun analogy is a good one, as shotguns are also about feel and proper instinctive sight alignment.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
EZ

+2

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any gun or rifle with an open grip will have you wanting a longer LOP than one with a tight grip.

I like my bolt rifles with an open grip, and I don't cycle the action with the rifle mounted, so I like them long.

I like my double rifles and shotguns longer, by about 3/8".

3/8" doesn't sond like much, but it is a substantial difference in a LOP.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Every double rifle I have owned that fit me very well had the LOP measured from the front trigger, with the finger grip just at the first knucle behind the finger tip. This fit makes the back trigger about the same as my big bore bolt rifles.

Like JPK, I like an open grim of any rifle I use for quick snapp shooting instinctively, on moveing targets! I'm lucky in that most good "NEW" doubles seem to fit me well right out of the shipping crate, and When I install a recoil pad I maintain the same length as factory in most cases.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote