Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
My very lovely wife presented me with a Krieghoff 470 for our 10th anniversary. She bought it from JPaul here on AR. She told me he was a pleasure to deal with.

This is my first double so I will have some questions in the near future.

First question:

Redding dies are under $70.00 and RCBS are over $250.00. Are RCBS 470 dies that much better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike...first...congratulations...and before everyone else asks......does she have any sisters?
Second, I have Redding dies for my 404 Jeff....they are very nice. I also have RCBS dies for my other big bores and they work very well too. If you can get Redding 470's for that price, I think you need to grab them.

I personally think the 470 is very easy to load for....just decide if you want to work with fillers or not...your choices then become easy....RL 15 with and IMR/H 4831 without.

Best of luck...the fun begins.....and the addiction.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Congratulations on the Wife and the Double. thumb

A very good plus is, when you HAVE TO get your second, third, etc. double, you can blame it on her. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Welcome to the DRSS!

Redding! My 404 Jeffery, 8X57JRS, are Redding. Excellent quality. YOu might also check on Hornady. Their dies are also well made. Stay away from CH4D, just my opine.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Mike
Congrats on your 1st Double. I have the RCBS Dies and they work great. I've never seen the Redding Dies, but they should be OK. I like H4831 SC for my .470 Krieghoff. I had the Pad changed and really like it. Enjoy.
Larry

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike. You are truly blessed to have such a wife.

If my wife decides to do me in, she won't have to shoot me. If she bought me a DR I'd keel over in shock.

In the past when I got a new gun she'd ask "What does this one do that the others don't?"

Treat your wife well. Any of us on this forum would gladly steal her if you don't! Big Grin

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the Redding dies and shellholder from Midway. They were in stock and the total cost was $94.00. I reload several calibers with Redding and like the dies. It was hard to believe they are 1/3 of the RCBS and readily available.

I am ordering brass and bullets from Huntingtons later today along with a trim die.

Is it necessary to use a crimp die?

Gary, no sisters.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Congrats ! On both.

I can't speak to the RCBS dies.
I have CH Dies and Redding dies in 470.
The CH dies do not match my chamber or loaded rounds from Federal as well as I would like on a full resize.
They do chamber perfectly. But I do not like streching my brass that much at the shoulder, it will affect life of the brass.
I bought the Redding's and they seem a better match to my Krieghoff's chamber.

I guess time will tell.

Enjoy and Welcome, it really is an addiction.

Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Hang on to that girl!
If I pull a gun out of one of my safes. My wife has a patent question. Where did that one come from? Is it new? No Honey?????
I have a harder time with new tractor; she seems able to tell those apart.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Redding Dies but the Crimp is built into my RCBS Dies. It is something you need to play with. The main reason for a crimp I'm told is to keep the bullet from seating deeper under recoil in a box magazine. If the bullet I'm laoding has a cannulure in it I give it a slight crimp.
Larry

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike. Aren't South Louisiana wives great. Mine is a keeper also.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I love it... Some of us have great better halves...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ya know Mike, Mrs. Retreever is quite a find!
I don't know of too many wives who would ride down to Dallas through all that weather with you and Tusks and Croc in the back seat.

I consider you a very fortunate man!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to chime in here.....I was going to have my leopard as a wall rug....but my wife INSISTED on a full body mount!!!!!!!
That's a keeper!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike, You and K were a pleasure to deal with also. Enjoy.

Posts: 55 | Location: California | Registered: 21 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
My very lovely wife presented me with a Krieghoff 470...

Congratulations on being a member of the "Men With Keeper Wives" Club, as am I, [but

for reasons other than shooting and hunting related] and also on the new rifle. Practice

enough with it's cocking slide so that you can work it as proficiently as possible. You

should be able to get pretty darn fast with it IF YOU MAKE IT YOUR MISSION TO DO SO.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

First question:
Redding dies are under $70.00 and RCBS are over $250.00. Are RCBS 470 dies that much better.

Welcome to DRSS.
I think Redding dies are better made than RCBS. The reason they are cheaper is Redding added them as regular production dies the RCBS and Hornady are custom order. The Redding dies do crimp if so adjusted.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My reloading components should be in Monday or Tuesday.

I will use:
Jamison brass
Woodleigh SN
Start with 85 grains of Reloder 15.
Dacron filler

Should I weigh the Dacron (how much) or put enough to keep the powder from shifting?

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
One more important question. After I shoot my new rifle can I add "DRSS" to my signature line? I would ask where to send the membership dues but with this crowd I would receive too many responses.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You can send your DRSS dues to me, I believe the current dues are all spare cash you have Big Grin
I do not know that shooting your DR is even a requirement, just owning one and appreciating them is, the DRSS now has there own site, it was posted a little while ago. My induction was pretty informal, I siad hey can I join they said Yep!
Welcome wave

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You can send your DRSS dues to me, I believe the current dues are all spare cash you have Big Grin
I do not know that shooting your DR is even a requirement, just owning one and appreciating them is, the DRSS now has there own site, it was posted a little while ago. My induction was pretty informal, I siad hey can I join they said Yep!
Welcome wave
Nitro450exp

DRSS, BASA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Mike,

Welcome wave
Nitro450exp

http://www.DoubleRifleShootersSociety.com

Click on Becomeing a member of DRSS!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
I have to chime in here.....I was going to have my leopard as a wall rug....but my wife INSISTED on a full body mount!!!!!!!
That's a keeper!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

You better not, a rug, you worked way to hard for that cat to make it a rug.
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve......I know....but by giving HER the credit...my points go WAY up. Big Grin....and you know what the high points can be traded for!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My ammo arrived today for the 470. I was able to fire a couple of shots right at dark. With the night sight I was able to fire two very quick shots offhand at 25 yards. The two shot group from the left barrel and right barrel printed slightly over 1" at 25 yards. The recoil was heavier than my 416 Rem but not as sharp, but very manageable. I am now addicted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It IS an addiction!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome, brother!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Welcome to DRSS Mike! I like your website! Couple of nice buff! You work that 416 Rem Ruger No1 very well, the little K-gun will work well for you!

By the way My wife's family all live in Lafayette, Baton Rougue, or Scot! I spend a lot of time in Lafayette, usually eating crawfish, or shrimp prepared one way or another!
Congratulations on your new rifle! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you found a keeper (wife, and rifle too). Mine suggested that since I had so many "elephant rifles" I should hunt elephant. She's a keeper too.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sounds like a real shooter. I would like to see pictures.... Not of the Krieghoff, I know what they look like... pictures of the WIFE that gave you the double. Big Grin

Welcome to the DRSS. wave

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mike,

Sounds like a real shooter. I would like to see pictures.... Not of the Krieghoff, I know what they look like... pictures of the WIFE that gave you the double. Big Grin

Welcome to the DRSS. wave

We met you in Dallas, I have some pictures of her on my website shooting my 338 Win Mag. in Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike I went to your web site, I remember ya'll well. [PS your wife IS very Pretty, and sweet as well].

There are no flies on a Krieghoff double rifle. I have shot several and they have all been good shooters.