Find
Notify
Tools

375 flanged...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

My gun dealer called me and said he had a 375 H&H flanged magnum, made by Simsons & Co, Suhl, Germany.

It sounds very interesting and the price is also of interest...looking for some advice...Anyone know anything about "Simson" made doubles

He also has a 375 "Express" available as well as a 22 Hi-Power (aka 22 Savage) hammer double...Judge G....gimme some advice here

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I replied in the big bore area.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As noted, Simson is well known as a quality maker of shotguns. Have read nothing on their double rifles. Key is whether ths is the .375 flanged magnum OR the .375 flanged magnum nitroexpress which is the most desirable of the two calibers and the former is a deer rifle...

Would suggest that if it is the caliber you want and you are seriously interested, you ask them to ship to a doublerifle smith for a three-day inspection period as a condition for completing the sale; i.e., money back if you don't like what the inspection produces.

Good to know, 'tho whether this is a sidelock, boxlock, sideplates, hammergun, top opening, steel or (unlikely) damascus barrels and condition of the initial inches after the chambers (hot-burning cordite wuld erode them somewhat) LOP, engraving (minor consideration) etc., etc. But, the key is what caliber!
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

It's 375 flanged OR 375 FLanged Magnum.
or 375 flanged 2 1/2"

The first one was never a Magnum.

Quite a few DR's made by Simsons exist, I have seen I think 405 Win, numerous 318WR's for a start.

Now whether it is the same Simsons, who knows but they have all been good, solid DR's.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Simson rifles and shotguns are made in the same factory, and utilize some of the same parts like actions, and barrels!

Simson rifles, and shotguns are well made working guns, and the 375FL Magnum is sister of the 375H&H belted rimless mag, and only slightly less powerful. The flanged 375 Magnum is made for use in double rifles. The only problem with this cartridge is the brass is hard to come by. With that said if you buy the rifle you will need to hand load for it, and it would be a prudent idea to buy at least 100 rounds of new brass for it, and after every time you re-load a box of brass a couple times buy a new box of brass so you always have 100 rounds of brass on hand!

IMO, anyone who shoots a double rifle needs to hand load for it anyway. This not only cuts cost, but once a proper load is found, handloading will get the best results from your double rifle! A double rifle chambered for 375FL Magnum is a very versatile rifle, and is legal for the big five in almost every hunting area in Africa though a tiny bit light for the cape buffalo, and elephant, but is about perfect for the cats!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The flanged 375 Magnum is made for use in double rifles. The only problem with this cartridge is the brass is hard to come by. With that said if you buy the rifle you will need to hand load for it, and it would be a prudent idea to buy at least 100 rounds of new brass for it, and after every time you re-load a box of brass a couple times buy a new box of brass so you always have 100 rounds of brass on hand!

IMO, anyone who shoots a double rifle needs to hand load for it anyway. This not only cuts cost, but once a proper load is found, handloading will get the best results from your double rifle! A double rifle chambered for 375FL Magnum is a very versatile rifle, and is legal for the big five in almost every hunting area in Africa though a tiny bit light for the cape buffalo, and elephant, but is about perfect for the cats!

Couldn't agree with you more on this topic and everything said in your post! tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

It's 375 flanged OR 375 FLanged Magnum.
or 375 flanged 2 1/2"

The first one was never a Magnum.

Your're right 500N, didn't read the original carefully enough...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Jamison makes brass for it and it is good stuff. They don't always have it but it looks like they do now. If you plan ahead brass is not an issue with this round. I always buy a minimum of 200 pieces with a new rifle and many times 500 pieces.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot folks Smiler

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
oh ya.....and huntingtons usually stocks RCBS dies.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote