New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouch! which recoil pad?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fired my new 470 NE, Merkel, I definately need a recoil pad. Who would be the best person to install a recoil pan and which pad would take the most sting out of recoil. Fired with PAST on my shoulder and it was not as bad as I thought.
I don't want to hunt in August with that thing on my shoulder.
Thanks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like the Limbsaver pads. They make a big difference. Put one on a .338 Ultra Mag this summer and it really calmed it down considerably. I like them so much I have a set of the slip on pads (S, M and L) and just pull them off one gun and stick them on the next. A recoil pad is great for shooting at the range, but in the field I see no need for one. Adrenalin is the best recoil absorber there is. Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My 470NE Merkel has a Decelerator(1") on it and does fine. When you cut the stock to mount the pad you have to reinstall the counterweight. Mine then promptly (after 10 rds) broke loose as the Decelerator is hollow and ribbed. I would suggest you have a black fiber spacer (1/8"-1/4") installed between the stock and pad after the weight is reinstalled. This should keep the weight from moving and shearing the wood screw holding it in. My 416Rigby has a KickEez and I like it very well also. The Decelerator is a better LOOKING pad in my estimation. Any competent Gunsmith should be able to install a pad and any one who installs many will have the spacers. They use them to adjust length in some applications. I also use a past pad and a slipon from the bench. Have been known to use a sissy bag too. I don't LIKE recoil.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a 470NE Merkel, and it has a Kick-EEZ pad, and it works fine for me! I even installed a decellarator on my little 9.3X74R Merkel. IMO, the plastic butt plate is only there to protect the wood till the owner can install a pad, adjusting his personal pull length at the same time! Get it padded, you'll shoot far better with your new Merkel! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize we aren't talking about a best british double here but why not go with the traditional Silvers pad?

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
I realize we aren't talking about a best british double here but why not go with the traditional Silvers pad?

JMHO,

John

Silver's is the ONLY option!

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
How about add a recoil reducer in the stock...or two if recoil is the problem, and you can keep the weight and balance manageable..
I like Silver's pads also, but answer makes a great pad along with decelerators...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote