THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Verney Carron or Chapuis double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney Carron or Chapuis double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you have a choice between these two brands for an over/under double in 9,3 x 74 mm, which one would you go for? This is if build quality, reliability, and accuracy were the important factors, not price. Thank you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is re-calibrate my brain from O/U, to S/S; that is, if I had that malady to start with.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
V-C. No question. Chapuis is a step above Sabatti. The V-C is about the best bang for the buck in new doubles today. A mate of mine in the Lower 48 just took possession of a V-C double I bought for him in a trade we made. He has seen a lot of rifles in his day and goes on and on about the quality of his new V-C. He is strongly thinking of another and I will offer my advise to him when I see him in a month or so.
Ken B.: if you read this, thanks to you and Jerome for making such a quality rifle for my friend.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutley the VC! With Chapuis you get what they make. With VC you can get what you want. By this I mean the little details and nuances that you "need" in your DR (palm swell or not, color of recoil pad, extra folding leaves, scope mounts, type of folding front night sight, style of moustache, LOP etc). But, if the given Chapuis model has exactly what you want then there you have it.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If price is NOT the object, get a Holland&Holland.

How much difference in cost? A thousand dollars? Five thousand? Ten thousand?

I owned a Chapuis SxS in 9,3x74R and it was a wonderful double rifle. Killed several head of plains game, and a Caracal with it. Never had to shoot anything twice.

If you are buying "off the rack", pick the one that fits you best, all other things being equal.

If you have to order one built, definitely the Chapuis. It's the only thing the French have gotten right since Lafayette was sent here.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Look at representative rifles side by side - take a close look at the quality of the wood, engraving, fit and finish, and regulation - then make an informed decision.

Even in the lowest grades, the V-C wins hands down......and it's not even close.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Inited by ganyana to hunt in Europe forests i used Chapuis with great succes loved these doubles.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an even split. Appreciate the input very much. Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have both the VC and Chapuis. Not EVEN close. The VC is the far superior rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Since your question about O/U's was never really answered I would ask you clarify what models from each manufacture you are trying to compare?
Once you have a specific model in mind then you might find members here that own one or the other, or both and can offer valid comparisons of either model (or both)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
First thing I would do is re-calibrate my brain from O/U, to S/S; that is, if I had that malady to start with.

animal

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

animal

True that!

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Note HEYM USA has O/U models to look at too.
Link 1: http://www.heymusa.com/55_b.htm
Link 2: http://www.heymusa.com/26_b.htm
I for one love the O/U from 9.5x74R down! (.375" bullet)

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote