Find
Notify
Tools

Speed and Extractors
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted
This weekend I shot the stopping rifle event at the Vintagers. It consisted of two 2 shot untimed groups and three four shot timed groups A total of 16 rounds. All this really means is shoot both barrels reload and shoot both barrels again.

Having never done this before and with only a little practice. I shot both barrels tilted the gun back both shells dropped out easily and I grabbed the next two shells from a shotgun type shell bag. It worked fine and I was within the times allowed and times needed.

What in your experience have you found to be faster.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
foxfire

It all comes down to technique - and practice.

You don't want to have to "think" about it,
it should all happen automatically.

You obviously found something that works for you.

Personally, I tip the gun up and sideways to empty the cases and prefer grabbing new rounds from a shell holder on the body.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since your shells are falling free, your chambers are probably fine. If that's the case, there's no need to "tilt", twist, or flip - it's just unneeded extra motion and wasted time.

With a non-ejector double chambered for flanged shells: Once you've fired the second barrel, hit the top lever as you dismount the butt from the shoulder and push FORWARD with the shooting hand, while keeping the forward hand level. The small muzzle elevation required is accomplished by the motion of opening the gun, so there's no extra motion and no time lost. The gun will instantly clear as it opens, just as one does with ejectors. Reload. The non-ejector closes with noticeably less resistance because there are no ejector springs to compress with the rise of the barrels.

Obviously, rimless chambered doubles must have ejectors or the spent shells must be plucked out, which is far too slow.
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I was shooting a 470 NE from a Kreighoff Big Five. I had the old shells out pretty good with starting to open the release as the gun is coming down from the recoil of the second shot.

The question is "whats the fastest way and or place to pick 2 more shells to reload"?

Between the fingers is out I have all I can do to hold the gun let alone have 2 shells dangling from my fingers.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Butt Stock shell carrier by Murray Leather on my double rifles.

That way the extra cartridges are close to my hand, close the the chamber of the gun, and close to my eyes, ie in my preferial vision.

I have double rifles with ejectors and double rifles and drillings with extractors.

Does not make any difference to me.

I most always "pluck" out my empty[s], if I am not under durress I put them in my back pocket, if reload speed is of the essance I just drop the empty[s] at my feet as I reach for the ammo on the butt stock.

When hunting DS I feel safer with a double rifle with its 2 immediate shots, than I do with a bolt rifle and more rounds in the gun.

IMHO if you find a double rifle you like and it is an extractor gun, that should not keep you from buying it.

Many, many times in Zimbabwe I switched between an extractor and an ejector gun on the same day, killing animals with both.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote