THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    aperture sight for Recknagel base?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

aperture sight for Recknagel base?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone manufacture a peep sight that mounts to the male dovetail portion of an ERA/Recknagel base? I have a Merkel .30-06 SxS double with these bases installed, and even if I were willing to spend $1500 for a set of rings (and I'm not!) I don't really think that I want to scope this gun. I am thinking that an aperture is just the ticket for this lightweight little rifle and might allow me to get more use out of it...my eyes just don't agree with open sights nowadays!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jwm

I must say, that a scoped, with QD mounts, 9,3x74R double rifle is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
jwm

I must say, that a scoped, with QD mounts, 9,3x74R double rifle is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet...

+1 on that! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, until you use the 2nd barrel, right? :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew you guys would tell me that...and I know that you're correct. I actually have a 9.3x74R that has a QD scope mount, and as nice as it is to hunt that gun, every time I use it WITH a scope I am reminded how much nicer it is WITHOUT one.

The .30-06 Merkel is more accurate than the 9.3 and allows me to adjust the regulation, but is even lighter and sweeter-handling as well. I just can't stand the idea of buggering up its wonderful feel by slapping a scope onto it. My inherent cheapness also balks at the notion of a set of rings...not bases+rings, but just rings!...that cost more than my first car did. Judging from the looks of them, they have more moving parts too! I have even considered having the Recknagels replaced or added onto with a set of "normal" bases and rings, but I'm just not ready to take that step.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had a small Merkel SxS in 8x57R that I put a MAK quick detachable mount on using the factory dovetails. The entire mount and rings cost less than $500 and I received them from the factory in Belguim in less than a week. Had a couple of email exchanges with an Engineer from the factory over the proper set and then to get a special spacer to have them fit perfectly. They even included a collet to allow machining the spacer if there were slight deviations in receiver size. Excellent quality and fit was absolutely perfect. I recommend them highly.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at NECG I know they make them for EAW bases

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that lead, Zephyr. I just checked with them, and the aperture sight they have is for a different version of the Recknagel mount. It apparently isn't enough to manufacture a single painfully over-engineered and over-complicated mounting system...so they make several different ones!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
jwm

+1 on that! tu2

+2

I use my 9.3X74R double far more than any one I own! I've always believed the 9.3X74R and the 9.3X62 never have gotten the credit they deserved, both are fine cartridges.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
NECG X2.