THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Repairing an off faced DR - does this really solve the problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing an off faced DR - does this really solve the problem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
I was paging through the November/December issue of Shooting Sportsmen and came across this advertisement:

"At last a process to re-joint double guns that are off the face (barrels loose on action) without the problems and expense of replacing the hinge pin.

"We have developed a process so precise and controllable that there is no risk of rib loosening or discoloration. A predetermined layer of steel is seamlessly bonded to the desired area that after fitting, results in original fit and equal or better than the original finish. We can even remove inscriptions and rust pits.

"This service is available for the finest over and under or double guns. For more information on this and other services, please inquire."

Ok, educate me on this process. How can you get a PERMANENT solution to a loose hinge pin (that causes a gun to go off face) by NOT repairing that part of a double gun?

This seems like a temporary solution that covers up the true problem to the gun.

Am I wrong?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark:

The hinge pin is usually case hardened, the hook is not. Most of the wear is usually on the hook. With replaceable pin guns, a larger pin is fitted to compensate for the wear. With a fixed pin gun, the repair is to the hook, usually by tig weld.

The process that Eversul is speaking of is the flame spray, or plasma spray method. Molten steel is sprayed onto the worn surface and refitted. Whether they do this to the hook or the pin, I don't know. A client of mine operates a repair service with plasma spray for pump shafts and the like. He says the heat transfer to the workpiece usually isn't more than 250F.

Any double gun will come off face in time. Good ones take a long time. Correct rejointing makes the gun as good as new. Just looked at another gun that J. J. rejointed. He's really good at it.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I learn something new everyday on here...

I love this place!

Thanks, Mark!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577, I'm with you on that for SURE!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote