New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who made this rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me who made this rifle? I can't remember where I found the picture, but it was a .500NE. I'd also like to know if this kind of engraving repeatable, if someone could copy it.

Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Express:

I can't help you with the maker of this gun, but I'm pretty sure another engraver, if you supply photos could reproduce the engraving.

HOWEVER, in looking at the rifle, it appears that the gun is engraved with two different types of engraving styples: deep relief and Bulino or bank note style.

Deep relief is what it sounds - the engraver removes a lot of metal to create an image that has texture - similar to what coins look and feel like.

Bulino, however, it done by creating an image using tens of thousands of microscopic dots.

To get ONE engraver to duplicate the exact rifle, you will need to find someone who is an expert in both types of engraving styles.

Pretty gun by the way.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
P.s., just looking at the stock, if I were a betting man, I would guess an Austrian firm as the manufacture.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I do not have a clue about who made the rifle, but one thing I am sure of, I would not be using that ring set up and trying to get the scope closer to my right eye with a .500 NE. Eeker And who in their right mind would want a scope on .500 NE to begin with.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think i saw that rifle on the Joseph Just website

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think i saw this rifle on the Joseph Just website

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look closely, the two photos depict different rifles.

The top rifle may be a 500, but the bottom is not.

To confirm that your looking at two rifles, look at the fences (the round breach balls that are part of the action to the rear of the barrels) and you will see vastly different engraving between the two.

Then look at the top photo and notice the lack of scope bases or mounts or cut outs or any way to mount a scope on the rifle. Look at the rib on the bottom rifle and see the block under the forward ring for comparrison.

Then move on to the relative size of the barrels to the frame.

Then move on to the top lever and note the flush position on the top rifle and the gap under the top lever on the bottom rifle.

Then move on to the position and shape of the triggers...

Two different rifles.

Both Grmanic in style, but not overly so. Joseph Just is a good guess for both I think. Probably a 500NE and a 375H&H, I'm guessing.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to see you're all on the ball. I didn't take much notice of the smaller details, except I was confunsed as to why there are no claw mounts visible in the first picture.
I thought it was a Austrian/Germanic rifle too, but cann't find it anywhere on the web now.

I'm now fairly sure it's from Ferlach, but still can't seem to find it on the web.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too vote for it being Ferlach, Austria "born".

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it on Josef Just's website. Beautiful example of gunmaking art.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote