Find
Notify
Tools

Hoenig Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted
This is a pair of Hoenig rifles I had the great fortune to handle.A phone pic was all I got as the viewing was a surprise....

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They are amazing are they not? I have handled 6 or 7 of them, including the fierling George built first. They are truly unique and perfectly executed.

_BAxter

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The rifles were spectacular. The action just fascinated me. Truly original thinking. I like and respect that. Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hear all excellent comments about these, 100%.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well can we get a few of these on the market where we can all take a shot at them?

Fine rifles should be available.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
JOsh, if George is building then at the rate he was a few years ago, there are only about 53 in the world. He builds them in batches, usually 5 a year and it;s him and Owen Bartlett and thats it. The rifles (and shotguns and combos) are available, but you need to call George (or visit him in Reno, he usually goes) , put a desposit down and wait a year or so. Being 'available' is a relative term and I'd rather have one of his guns than any best gun on the market; almost every other gun is a variation on a theme that has been done a million times, these guns are the definition of unique. By way of example, according to George, Boss shotguns bought one of his guns to put in their shop and Purdy uses one of his stock machines to make their stocks. The guy is a genius, period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George moved. He lives in Weiser, Idaho a tad NW of my house. Got tired of the Boise big-city mess I reckon. The rifles are beautiful, there is no doubt about it. He's a really neat gentleman to visit with, always has a minute for me. He will often say, just get a seat over there and watch. I dream of someday owning one of his doubles in .500NE 3"

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter, what about some really good photos and a solid write-up? I must admit that I have searched for all the scarce information out there.

I have serously considered one, but need a little more knowledge. Any way to get it without bothering the guy?

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Wrote an in-depth article but was rejected (albeit well-liked) by all the pop-gun mags (he's already been in Double Gun Journal and Shooting SPortsman) had preliminary photos but was to take more per interest but that's the way it goes in getting your stuff in mags.

If you are close to Jeff Wemmer from TExas Hunt Co, give him a shout as I believe he has one. If you PM me i'll send you a copy of the article and pics in pdf. I am away from my stuff for the next two weeks though.

_BAxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing but positive remarks--that says a lot about his work. Roughly speaking, what would one cost?

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were three in 9.3X74 at the Baker, Or double gun shoot last week.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Stoinski, last time I talked to George they were 20-25K. 465, the 9.3 x74R is a very popular caliber for his rifles. I have also seen two in 17HMR 30-40 KRag also is popular.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I have a 460 G&A bolt gun that GH made years back....Ain't seen anything that even comes close in quality, fit form and function!

A real masterpiece of a magazine rifle!

George is a prodigy!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas have an GHRD 9,3x74r 4sale... IIRC around $29k.
From my handling of them, itd be a nice heavy timber Elk rifle.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
WOW!! I have never seen a Hoenig for sale via a shop, and number 9...if you want a Hoenig now, you couldnt do better than this. What a fantastic rifle...

Sorry Jeff I stated you had a rotary action. Thanks for clearing it up.