THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Does reloading 9.3mm ammo make economic sense?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does reloading 9.3mm ammo make economic sense?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Altho I shoot and hunt a fair amount I do not reload for my rifles or shotguns. I recently got a 9.3x74R Chapuis and wonder if it's worthwhile to consider reloading for this? I have absolutely no reloading equipment so would have to start from scratch.

Does anyone know approximately what is the per-round cost of reloading this caliber?

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at websites, catalogs or local dealers for prices on factory ammo and also components that you like. Then, add up the costs of bullet, primer, powder and case. On the second loading, the case is free. The savings usually come from reusing the cartridge case, which is the most expensive part.

The other part is to amortize the cost of your loading equipment over how many years you expect to be shooting. Loading for another cartridge then costs you only for dies and a shellholder.

If the numbers do not favor reloading, rework your assumptions until they do by adding in the enjoyment factor of "rolling your own". Taking game with your own reloads is far more satisfying.

Actually, you won't save anything by reloading. You will shoot that double rifle so much more that the savings will fly downrange. You have a DR, enjoy it to the max.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I do hear you and understand those issues - I don't need another compulsion unless it makes economic sense and I cannot judge primer/powder/bullet costs since I've no experience with the process.

The Zen part I get; the bucks part I don't.

I'm pushing 70 and don't have a 20-year horizon and maybe I should just forget loading and do more shooting?

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Thanks - I do hear you and understand those issues - I don't need another compulsion unless it makes economic sense and I cannot judge primer/powder/bullet costs since I've no experience with the process.

The Zen part I get; the bucks part I don't.

I'm pushing 70 and don't have a 20-year horizon and maybe I should just forget loading and do more shooting?

Oxon

If you can afford to buy enough factory ammo to shoot as much as you like then don't bother trying to learn how to reload.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never viewed reloading as a way of saving money. My view point is I can make better ammo that is designed for the rifle and situation at hand than any factory could.

Been reloading for 42 years and have never shot an animal with a factory round in my life other than rimfires. Starting to get back into bullet casting as well so I can taylor make a practice round for my awaiting 450 Nitro.

I say go for it. Buy all the stuff and give it a whirl. It is immensely satisfying especially when you down your first animal with your own reloadsSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd look at it from a "How many 9.3X74R rounds do I intend to fire. Unless you are going to fire over a hundred rounds a year, I'd stick to factory ammo.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what factory costs, never bought a box, but to reload a box would be
bullets--$4 PRVI 286gr ($10 for Hornady)
primers---$0.70
powder--$5.00
Brass--$20.00 (eliminate this second loading)

So for $36/42 per box you can load a box the first loading and $10/16 per box next time. Equipment to load will probably set you back $150. Checked Midway and Hornady ammo was $64/box, so you would save $24 on the first box of reloads and $48 on the second. You can pay for your equipment in about 4 boxes of ammo. Other bullets will cost more. Nosler partitions about 3x than the Hornady bullets, but the ammo is also $30/box higher.
As said, you won't save money, you will shoot more and use up the savings.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for over 10 years and YES it makes economic sense.

That said, I will tell you what an old guy who is long dead told me about reloading when I started.

"Don't think you are gona save any money, you will still spend the same amount of money on shooting, which will be the most you can spend.
The only difference is you will shoot 3 to 4 times more on the same amount of money"

I have found this to be very true!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flntknp17
posted Hide Post
I'm just a regular working man who loves rifles. I honestly could not afford to shoot any of my guns (except maybe 223 and 30-30) if I did not reload. I bought a Lee press kit (came with press, scale, powder measure, priming tool) for $100 a few years ago and do all my loading on it (17 fireball to 458 win). I have never seen the need for a more expensive press as this one does everything I need really well so far.

When I go to the range I shoot mainly 375 ruger (because I really like it). Here is a breakdown of what it costs to shoot it.

Speer 2471 235gr bullet: $0.40 each
Reloader 15 powder: $0.20/shot
Primer: $0.03/shot
Case: $0.70 each/10 min. loadings = $0.07/shot

Total: $0.70 a shot or $14 a box. My gun has never had a single factory shell through it. It is even cheaper to load 458 since I can use cast bullets.

I can't imagine not loading since it is such a huge money saver for me.

Matt

Posts: 38 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The start up cost will be realized in a couple hundred rounds for that rifle, or for more than one rifle shorter time. There is an old saying among prolific shooters, that goes like this, "You won't save any money by hand loading, you will just shoot twice as much for the same price!" I add to that with in most double rifles you not only gain the cost savings but also become very efficient with your double rifle, a fact that in some cases may actually save your life, or that of someone else.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, guys. This is all extremely helpful to me in trying to process the alternatives.

I also discover that there are many more bullets available than there are in loaded cartridges!

I'm starting to try to learn something about the various presses on the market.

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 9.3 in particular, you have to reload (or buy custom loads) if you need solids. If you don't need solids, then you are unlikely to use enough ammo to justify reloading. This stuff is relatively cheap. Besides, the gun is likely regulated for Norma factory ammo and if you reload, you may not be able to get your loads to regulate.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another perspective here, and probably not a very popular one, but here goes: I've been reloading for over thirty years, for numerous cartridges. I don't like it, but it lets me get the maximum amount of shooting per dollar spent. I reload almost exclusively for shooting practice, using mostly factory stuff for hunting purposes. I don't get the satisfaction from it that many seem to, and could easily equate reloading to refueling my car...gotta do it, don't expect to enjoy it. BUT...you get a lot more shooting if you do it, and, as mentioned, you can put together some of the (very few) types of loads that can't be purchased.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flntknp17
posted Hide Post
Here is another way to look at it. Again this probably depends highly on how much you shoot. I shot 400+- rounds of 375 this year plinking, goofing around, learning a new rifle, and having fun blowing up pumpkins and milk jugs.

If I did not reload:
20 boxes X $48 = $960

Reloading:
20 boxes X $14 = $280

Granted I am plinking with the cheapest bullets I could find........but I guess I don't feel the need to blow up a pumpkin with a $2 bullet.

Matt

Posts: 38 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 September 2005Reply With Quote