THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis Artisan / Splinter forends
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Artisan / Splinter forends
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have experience with the Artisan RGEX or REX? What's the difference between the Artisan series and the standard guns?

Has anyone seen a Chapuis rifle with a splinter forend? Or can you order this option? What about articulated triggers?

Thinking about a 9.3x74r in Chapuis, but I'd like to know what some of the options are. And what offers the best fit and value.

Posts: 8 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 30 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Drop a PM to KebCo here or call him.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Right before I bought my Chapuis from Ken Buch in November, I got an E-Mail from Ken's son Carl in Williamsburg, Va. Carl runs Blackbern LLC, and he imports Chapuis doubles. He said he was going to order a new lot of of Chapuis doubles soon, and this was an opportunity to order one with special features. I did not follow up with Carl as I bought my rifle from Ken,but it may be worth your while to contact Carl at Blackbern LLC.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a RGEX 9.3x74 this January. It has upgraded wood, game scenes, scope, toe of stock kicked out for women, recoil pad added, all the upgrades...
It is a more refined rounded action than the UGEX and handles great. Very accurate, great gun!
Now here is my honest opinion on upgrades: the basic Chapuis UGEX is probably the best value of any modern double. When you start upgrading the model and features, as I did for my wife, the price goes up fast. I paid more than double the price of a basic UGEX and got a gun that was a "little" bit prettier.
My advise is to buy a basic UGEX, or purchase one of the used ones you see listed. Much better bang for your buck, than the upgraded stuff.
Just my experience...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
It would not surprise me if Chapuis and Piere Artisans follow on with Verney-Carron in offering custom additions such as a Splinter Fore-End.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
It would not surprise me if Chapuis and Piere Artisans follow on with Verney-Carron in offering custom additions such as a Splinter Fore-End.

My opinion of Chapuis doubles is that they are one of the most accurate double rifles made today. I have never shot a more accurate double rifle, and the fit and finish is as good as anything for sale new today. I believe them to be a quality double rifle.

Having said all that, there are three reasons I do not own one! #1 is I find them to be too light for chambering! #2 the very thin barrels are too short, and look tiny because of that damn BEAVERTAIL fore wood. The Beavertail fore wood on a double was not designed to be used on a double rifle, but was to be used on shotguns for pass shooting of driven birds where the barrels became so hot they would burn your fingers. A double rifle is not designed to be fire more than four or five rounds starting with cool barrels, so the BT fore end is out of place on a double rifle.

If the ballance needs the BT fore end then the barrels could be left slightly heaver and use a splinter fore end wood so the fingers can wrap the barrels.

If I bought a used Chapuis double I would have get it cheap so I could justify the mods I would want made to it, and the first thing I would trash is that beavertail fore end shape, slim it and re-checker, and add a proper recoil pad on anything above a 8X57JRS!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think tha the beaver tail forends on the Chapuis are a turn off, visually. It just doesn't look right to me. Also, they don't come in .450-400 but it seemed like they would offer them in that cartridge.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
They don't offer it in 450 NE either.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never figured out what a splinter forend on anything is good for. To me they are kind of like the forend on a Thompson Center Contender, just a piece of wood hanging there for no good reason. I want a Handle I can get a hold of on any firearm. One of the things that appealed to me about the Chapuis is the beavertail forend. Since Chapuis seems to sell a lot of rifles I guess I'm not entirely alone in my tastes.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Have you shot anything with the splinter forend? I didn't really understand it either until I got my hands on a splinter forend shotgun. I'm not totally convinced on a hard kicking rifle but, on a 16 gauge shotgun on a 20 gauge frame I know it would be a splinter forend all the way.

Best Regards,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
I never figured out what a splinter forend on anything is good for. To me they are kind of like the forend on a Thompson Center Contender, just a piece of wood hanging there for no good reason. I want a Handle I can get a hold of on any firearm. One of the things that appealed to me about the Chapuis is the beavertail forend. Since Chapuis seems to sell a lot of rifles I guess I'm not entirely alone in my tastes.

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
Bob,

Have you shot anything with the splinter forend? I didn't really understand it either until I got my hands on a splinter forend shotgun. I'm not totally convinced on a hard kicking rifle but, on a 16 gauge shotgun on a 20 gauge frame I know it would be a splinter forend all the way.

Best Regards,
Sid

Gentlemen the wood on the fore-end of a double rifle is not there to hold onto, nor is there to hold onto on a double barreled shotgun. On the shotgun it is a heat guard to protect you fingers while pass shooting driven birds where barrels get very hot.

Double rifles are not designed to be fired more than about four shots starting with a cool barrel set. Also double rifles, at least, the big bores produce a lot more recoil flip than most shotguns, and holding onto the wood only is hard on the hanger hook. The drill for properly holding a double rifle is to wrap your fingers and thumb around the barrels with a splinter resting in the palm of your fore-hand!

I do not even like a Beavertail fore-end wood on a shotgun. They are useless, ugly, and place too much strain on the fore-end hanger. This is the reason you never see a beavertail fore-end on any double rifle except a Chapuis! In fact you rarely see one on a shotgun unless it is made in the USA, by folks like Savage! They look like a beer can that someone dropped a baby-giant firecracker in making it fatter than it was supposed to be! They especially look out of place on a Chapuis because of the very thin barrels.

It is not a matter of taste only, but one of proper design! coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
I never figured out what a splinter forend on anything is good for.

I want a Handle I can get a hold of on any firearm.

As Mac stated, the proper "Handle" to get a hold of on a double rifle is the barrels themselves. I have a Merkel with the splinter and a Chapuis with the beavertail. The Merkel feels right, the Chapuis, not so much, although it is a really nice rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I prefer the splinter forend as well but I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I have guns with both and my hands are big enough so I can get my fingers on the barrel even with a beavertail forend. I would not reject a gun because it had a beavertail forend and I really like the Chapuis.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I prefer the splinter forend as well but I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I have guns with both and my hands are big enough so I can get my fingers on the barrel even with a beavertail forend. I would not reject a gun because it had a beavertail forend and I really like the Chapuis.

Dave I too would not reject a rifle because it had a BT foreend, but I would re-do the foreend to a splinter in short order!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer a splinter forend.
But, the standard 9,3 Chapuis forend is not really a real beavertail, and not really a real splinter.

It is kinda like a long splinter.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I MUCH prefer a splinter too...

I was as JJ's with my Chapuis, and he wouldn't cut the BT forearm down, saying it never would look right because of the way it was designed. (i assume he ment the forend iron)

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of what Mike Merker did with a Heym:

Click Here: Heym Beaver to Splinter Forend

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the look of a splinter ,it looks more racey, but i dont like the feel of it [i thought wrapping your hands around the barrel was a NO NO,]a beavertail doesnt look so great, but feels alot better to hang onto ,more comfortable to me ,up to buyer what suits him best

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm like the guy who breaks wind just before he gets off of a crowded elevator. Made a smart aleck remark and went off to deer camp for four days. Unlike that guy though, I got my com-upence; never saw a brown hair in 4 days in the swamps. I have shot shotguns with splinter forends; just don't care for them. It might be the XX large paws on the end of my arms. I can almost wrap my hand around the barrels of my Chapuis beavertail and all.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a splinter forend on any double rifle or shotgun for that matter, nothing else is acceptable to me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote