Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted

Posts: 17129 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
or you can just get a dremel at home depot and grind the muzzle......

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Are you for real? If so, stop drinking the bong water!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Are you for real?

Don't drink the bong water!!

Are you referring to the first post or the 2nd post ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific idea, and also post a copy in smithing section....I have a DR with some regulation issues....still trying different loads.
Thanks, TC

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Posts: 27 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe... Cheap doubles have the crowns ground to regulate them...the problem with this is that it increases bullet instability. If you look at the targets you will often see that bullets have not been flying 100% true and there is a very slight keyhole effect- does this hurt? Only if you are shooting solids at elephant. The bullets tumble on impact and penetration is drastically reduced. With softs, the mushrooming bullets hold them mushroom forward.

In brief, grinding the muzzel of one or both barrels to get them to regulate is fine on a short range hog gun but a third rate way of doing things if you want long range accuracy or to ever take it hunting big stuff.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
by DoubleDon Are you for real? If so, stop drinking the bong water!!

Don

[/QUOTE

[QUOTE]by 500N Are you referring to the first post or the 2nd post ?

quote:
by Tall Chief Terrific idea, and also post a copy in smithing section....I have a DR with some regulation issues....still trying different loads.
Thanks, TC

quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:
Roscoe... Cheap doubles have the crowns ground to regulate them...the problem with this is that it increases bullet instability. If you look at the targets you will often see that bullets have not been flying 100% true and there is a very slight keyhole effect- does this hurt? Only if you are shooting solids at elephant. The bullets tumble on impact and penetration is drastically reduced. With softs, the mushrooming bullets hold them mushroom forward.

In brief, grinding the muzzel of one or both barrels to get them to regulate is fine on a short range hog gun but a third rate way of doing things if you want long range accuracy or to ever take it hunting big stuff.

Gentlemen the comment by Roscoe Was a toung-in-cheek joke aimed at the rescent Sabatti feasco. He is fully aware of the pit-falls of the grinding of the muzzles to attempt to regulate a double rifle!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Mac is back! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post

Mac,
I could hear you laughing.....

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
Mac is back! Big Grin

generalwar, I'm just passing through!....BYE wave

Roscoe, these guys don't know you like we do at DRSS! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was referring to dpcp's post at the top, not the grinding.
TC

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Posts: 27 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that Merkel put a brass or copper rod down the barrel a give a Pull to whichever side the umm impact needs to go

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don: I know you have the bona fides, but have you actually witnessed bullet tumbling from muzzle-ground doubles in heavy game? I hadn't heard of this before, but it makes some theoretical sense.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:

You just put into words what Nganga and I have been discussing amongst ourselves at length. We were wondering if anyone else was thinking this. IMO, kicking the bullet one way or another by grinding out the crown would have to induce yaw into the bullet's flight resulting in exactly what you describe.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Don: I know you have the bona fides, but have you actually witnessed bullet tumbling from muzzle-ground doubles in heavy game? I hadn't heard of this before, but it makes some theoretical sense.

Just look at the 458WM and I think certain bullets that wouldn't stabilise
in the barrels before leaving. It caused no end of problems.

If the mussle / crown causes destabilisation, does the bullet travel far enough to be able to re stabilise or is it even possible to restablisilise in flight ?

I know some smaller bullets can take a while to "settle down".

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill - seen two doubles that had been regulated by offset crowning. An early Searcy and a Ferlach. One was .458 Win and the other .470.

The Searcy fetched up in the Harare balistics lab and Charlie Haley used it as a demo gun at the PH exams for several years. Left barrel shot fine, right barrel keyholed ever so slightly. Somebody later bought the gun off the police- paid 100 zim dollars for it, but after one hunt reconed he had paid too much. That rifle is a large part of the reason most Zim PH's look down on Searcy's - every appie comming through to the exams got to shoot it and se3e all the faults. The Ferlach gun got sent back with a snotty note in German from our top gunsmith (a German named Walter Roth) and returned properly regulated.

500N - yes all bullets need some distance to 'go to sleep' in target shooting language. Generally the twist of most big bore rifles is on the conservative side and the bullets are well stabilised. Still many big bores show better penetration at 20 paces than they do at 10 and closer - this is entirely due to the back of the bullet occilating a little and vastly increasing the drag (and increasing the size of the wound channel) when they hit.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
or you can just get a dremel at home depot and grind the muzzle......

lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I have never offset crowned a rifle in my life. If as you say it was done to that rifle then it was done by some one else. Hell I had never heard of this method until the Sabati thing came out. And also the readers should be aware that the rifle your talking about was most likely a BSS conversion on a shotgun frame, and not a rifle made on my own actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch- no idea who or why. Rifle turned up as 'lost property' at Harare airport and was handed into police Forensic ballistics dept- which was nice as both charlie and I could play with it whenever we wanted. Must have been about 1989 or 1990. Got sold off when the police had a (second) massive clear out of odd guns in 1996

That rifle and a .500NE are the only two of your rifles I have ever seen in Zim- both early models and not your finest work Wink. Your rifles have come a long way in the last 20 years.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
You just put into words what Nganga and I have been discussing amongst ourselves at length. We were wondering if anyone else was thinking this. IMO, kicking the bullet one way or another by grinding out the crown would have to induce yaw into the bullet's flight resulting in exactly what you describe.

Hopefully we will have a more definitive answer to this question in a few weeks time. Tests should begin in the next week or two by a well-known and respected member of this forum who has no investment in the outcome - will just post the facts.

They'll be using my Sabatti 450-400 which has one "clean" crown and one "ground" crown. factory loads as well as handloads to be tested.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a very bad dream last night: I was going into home depot at 615am and the only car in the parking lot was a beautiful early 60's blue vette. As i checked out the only other customer in the store had a cart full of dremel tools and as he had a name tag on, I said Hi Butch, what ya doin with all the dremel tools. He turned kinda red and said he had learned of a way to redirect the thrust from his twin tailpipes on the vette as it was yawing to the right when he launched at the stop light. I said cool, who did you learn that from. He explained a slick looking dude from italy driving a rear engine sports car showed him how to do. Suddenly i woke up and thought, I need to go check the tailpipes on my 69 big block camero to see if they have been regulated. On a lighter note, I was in Cabela's/Boise store a couple days ago and they have 3 new Sab arrival's. The 450 ( beautiful wood) perfect bores. The 470, perfect bores. The 500, Looks like my old dentist worked on it for about 30 min. Anyone looking for a 450, have Cablels"s send you pics as it is outstanding.

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Butch- no idea who or why. Rifle turned up as 'lost property' at Harare airport and was handed into police Forensic ballistics dept- which was nice as both charlie and I could play with it whenever we wanted. Must have been about 1989 or 1990. Got sold off when the police had a (second) massive clear out of odd guns in 1996

That rifle and a .500NE are the only two of your rifles I have ever seen in Zim- both early models and not your finest work Wink. Your rifles have come a long way in the last 20 years.

Wrong Don,

You forgot to mention that you handled my Searcy 470 Deluxe Grade a few years ago.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Hopefully we will have a more definitive answer to this question in a few weeks time. Tests should begin in the next week or two by a well-known and respected member of this forum who has no investment in the outcome - will just post the facts.

They'll be using my Sabatti 450-400 which has one "clean" crown and one "ground" crown. factory loads as well as handloads to be tested.

Solids at varying distances into an appropriate medium should provide the answer.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Solids at varying distances into an appropriate medium should provide the answer.

That's the plan. tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote