THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Krieghoff Classic Big Five .450/.400 NE - 3" feat. Merkel 140 9,3x74R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff Classic Big Five .450/.400 NE - 3" feat. Merkel 140 9,3x74R
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
Hey Guys - just back from the range - had pleasure to welcome a friend with his K-gun in .450/.400 NE...

Got a call by a friend of mine that is a regular client at Brooklands in Save - after a decade of hunting Buffalo with a single shot 9,3x74R he pulled one off and got a said weapon. Anyway - lacking a range he asked me if I could accommodate him for a shot or two.

Plain Jane - clear and simple with a niice wood - the first impression was - Man She is heavy!!!

No wonder - look at them barrels

Still - the balance was nice, rifle felt compact. Regardless I am lefty - rifle fitted me great - sights (gold bead and a single fixed leaf) aligned asap...

We burned some 400 gr. Labor für Ballistik softs

Now bare with me guys please - the biggest I ever shot was a .458 Win in M70 back in 2006...

Followed with acouple of 286gr with my Merkel 140 in 9,3x74R:

Regardles the spooky weird stream of smoke going over my head at 2nd shot with a .400 (gas leak?) and a noticable difference before fly...

...one can't tell them apart at business end (wonder if Buff can)

Now the dust has settled - I can't believe what I am about to say - being a true Medium Bore Guy - I am sick, sick of feeling great about the kind recoil .400 gives...and all I know is that I want SOME MORE!

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what the 500 NE is made for!

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shoot both a 450/400 and a 470 NE, and believe me, there is a sweetness in shooting the 450/400 that you don't have in shooting the 470 NE. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of Labor ammunition but it sure looks nice.
What was your opinion of it?

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That's what the 500 NE is made for!

Smiler getting there...still there are 500 grains to be sent downrange before - UEG I hear you - must see and try it myself Big Grin

Phatman - I've only shot 6 rounds of it - all I can say is that ammo is loaded with Woodleigh 400 grainers and those were landing inside the bead just fine (I was shooting as instructed by owner with full bead - covering the center of the half melon, not 6 o'clock aim) at 30m.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you the 450-400 is the sweethart of doubles..I have shot many buffalo and a few elephants with that caliber and its been all I could ask for...I particularly like the 370 gr. flat nose solids from GS Customs, RSA, and the Northfork Cup Points..I have owned a number of doubles in that caliber and used it more than any other with the .470 coming in a distant second in use on DG.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I'm with you the 450-400 is the sweethart of doubles..

You bet. Still some mixed emotion:

Weight & Weight distribution: 10.5 pounds (3 pounds heavier than 9,3) - no problem with weight per se, however if it has to weight so much I'd rather pick a .470 - I guess. Although the balance comes just behind the forend, rifle swings slow and heavy - those thick/heavy barrels come with a momentum that is totally absent with 9,3 and its paper thin barrels…is that just a K-gun issue and does .470 steers any better? I know it is horses for courses and I'd know it after shooting a .470...still any random thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The 450/400 has been the double of my dreams for a lng time - started with reading Jim Corbett. In 2008 I had the pleasure of shooting one.

I shot a hand full fo DRs that day including 9.3X74R, 470 NE, 500NE & 600 NE. I just loved the 450/400 made by Webley.

Right now I am in India and have just heard of an Army & Navey (Webley made?) rifle for sale. If only I could get the paper work done to take it out of India!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your problem is the Krieghoff itself, it does not balance well for me and the action is too long and the long forend drives me up the wall..I much prefer and English made double like the Army-Navy, Jefferys or WR for the same money...Or for that matter a Searcy or Merkel fit me better and the Krieghoff safey leaves me stone cold..

Just my personal take on the subject..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I'm with you the 450-400 is the sweethart of doubles..

You bet. Still some mixed emotion:

Weight & Weight distribution: 10.5 pounds (3 pounds heavier than 9,3) - no problem with weight per se, however if it has to weight so much I'd rather pick a .470 - I guess. Although the balance comes just behind the forend, rifle swings slow and heavy - those thick/heavy barrels come with a momentum that is totally absent with 9,3 and its paper thin barrels…is that just a K-gun issue and does .470 steers any better? I know it is horses for courses and I'd know it after shooting a .470...still any random thoughts?

A problem easily fixed!
Buy a standard grade Verney-Carron in 450-400 and just request 9+lbs and a shortened fore-end. tu2
They also come with a comfortable rounded action and should cost no more than the Krieghoff.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
...should cost no more than the Krieghoff.

This, I'd have to see first, to believe Smiler