New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 9.4 has arrived
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My order from Dale, 9.4 x 74 double has arrived, It is a beautiful little gun. It is very light, I am sure it is going to get your attention when shot.
Can't wait to get to the range. Not going to Africa in 07, will go back in 08. will try to line up a black bear/moose hunt in British Columbia to break in the rifle.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Let us know how it shoots, and pictures if possible.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gi,

Congratulations on the new member of the family! You're gonna love it! 9,3x74R is only slightly less potent than the 9,3x62 ... and both work like the Hammer of Thor.

Hope you scoped the little fella. Makes a terrificly useful hunting rifle with one.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
9.4 x 74 double has arrived

gi:

I take it you mean a 9.3 X 74R?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct, it is a 9.3 x 74R. I sent a Zeiss 3 x 9 (old German scope) to be installed on rifle. I will either use the 3 x 9 or a 1.5 x 5 illuminated ret. and 30 mm tube.
When I ordered the rifle, i ordered 1" & 30.. rings.
Has anyone ever hunted deer with the 270 gr Speer?

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
No, but it couldn't be any better than 286 Noslers:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/197102785

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gi
I have shot a few deer and pigs with the 270 Speer in my Chapuis 9,3. It did a good job.

I have only recovered one on a 310 lb pig shot at 19 yards quartering away. The bullet went through the shield broke the spine and was found at the back of the jaw. It had expanded and held together very well.

There is nothing wrong with this bullet for deer and pigs. Speer says it is OK for elk but I am a Premium bullet freek and I use a Nosler Partition or a Woodleigh Soft on bigger game.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gi,

I was not happy with the performance of the 270 gr Speer. On one deer it the projectile veered badly and left chunks throughout the wound even though it exited. On a 100 pound hog the bullet nearly took a right turn and again left pieces of itself throughout the wound track.

Have become a firm believer in the 286 grain Nosler partition. Great bullet!

BTW, other than his attraction to Blasers I think this bullet is about the only difference of opinion I've ever had with N E 450 No2.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
I can only report on my actual results.
I like the 286 Nosler Partition. I have taken several deer, wild pigs, black bear, impala, kudu, waterbuck baboons and zebras with it. However I think my favorite soft for the 9,3 is the 286 gr Woodleigh. With it I have taken deer, wild pigs black bear, impala, warthogs, baboons, zebras, and a cape buff.

Probably some other stuff I cannot recall off the top of my head.

As well as some smaller stuff with them as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The 286grn Woodleighs would be a great option and once you have a load set you can load solids of the same make if needed.
I used a Kreghoff 9.3x74 and found it does not have major recoil in fact it was quite pleasant to shoot.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote