Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best glue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Gentlelmen what is the best glue to use for re-fabricing the inside of a fitted rifle case?

The fabric in the case is wool felt, and many glues though strong,would bleed through the fabric. I have one case that needs repare, and the other that I want to re-configure for another double rifle, and tools. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what they call it, but I think they use a vegitable type glue
that doesn't have any chemicals in it - which of course would corrode a gun.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Elmer's wood glue will work fine. Just spread it on in a thin, even coat and let it become a littly tacky before you apply the cloth.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Elmer's wood glue will work fine. Just spread it on in a thin, even coat and let it become a littly tacky before you apply the cloth.

X2

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done this a couple of times, and always had good luck with the Elmer's white glue. It's easier to apply the thin even coating if you mix it with enough water to create a thin gruel that you can just paint on with a brush. As said, wait for it to get tacky before laying on the fabric.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
You see gentlemen, this is what AR is famous for. The gentlemenly exchange of information!

...... beer congratulations, and thank you, for the information! One is never too old to learn, or smart enough to put others down!

....................... thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3M makes a really good carpet/upholstery glue that you can buy at the auto parts store in a spray can, but that's kind of tricky to do without overspray. If you could find it in a paint on version I'd recommend it. For the case to be reconfigured the spray can might be ok, but for the repair it might be difficult to do without overspray. This is first quality, very strong upholstery glue that sticks to pretty well any surface.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x2mosg:
3M makes a really good carpet/upholstery glue that you can buy at the auto parts store in a spray can, but that's kind of tricky to do without overspray. If you could find it in a paint on version I'd recommend it. For the case to be reconfigured the spray can might be ok, but for the repair it might be difficult to do without overspray. This is first quality, very strong upholstery glue that sticks to pretty well any surface.

David

David, the part that needs repareing will be removed and replaced, so the glue could be applied outside the case, in fact that would be the only way to do it for this repare! With that in mind your reccomendation would likely be a very good one! thumb
............Thank you sir!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlelmen what is the best glue to use for re-fabricing the inside of a fitted rifle case?

The fabric in the case is wool felt, and many glues though strong,would bleed through the fabric. I have one case that needs repare, and the other that I want to re-configure for another double rifle, and tools. Confused

I have used 3M™ Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive - 08001, 08002, 08008 on airplanes and it worked well. You can get it in a spray as well as in a tube.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Glad I could help. Hope it works for you. Best part is it's easy to come by, or should be. I think Wal-mart may even have it.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote