New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best red dot sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Currently my double wears a Swarovski 1-6x24ee scope and after using it for a bit I think its too much scope and unnecessary weight for the rifle.

I'd like to get an open style "red dot" sight for it...which one is best for a double? My main concern is durability and moa of dot...I would like the smallest dot available.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM Chris Sells....new_guy...he could shed some good light on that subject for you.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out the Trijicon Dual-Illuminated RMR.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite small red dot sight is the Docter Optic with the 3.5 moa dot.

Especially for double rifles. However I also have them on bolt rifles and AR type rifles as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Trijicon RM06 with a 3.25 adjustable brightness. Works great.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

+1. Have both Doc Optik and Burris Fastfire on my doubles. Like the doc slightly better as far as the site but both are great. Think small on the MOA dot as it doesn't take much to start covering targets at 50 and beyond.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
3.5 is about the largest dot you want on a DR, anything bigger will cover way too much target.

Beau has a Trijicon RMR on his 500NE while I have used the Burris FastFire III on .458 bolt guns and 500NE.

Burris makes a set of steel Weaver bases with a flat bottom on the rear base - the only one you need for a red-dot. I have used this base on a Merkel 500NE and am currently having Butch put one on a Searcy PH 500NE as well. Just drill and tap the center rib.

One thing to note about red-dots is that, no matter the make, you can get a lemon out of the box. However, all reputable makers will exchange defective units.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Another vote for DoctorIII
I also have Burris FastFire, Trijicon RMR and two others I fail to recall-

I have Doctor III for both my Heym DR's (as wells as a 1.7-10 Swaro for the 375FL-

If your Heym is a relatively new one-
your rib is already machined for the Doctor base Heym USA sells

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Trijicon. No batteries. No worries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the SeeAll Open sight?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What pagosawingnut said. I have them for two of my double rifles. Given two others to PHs in Africa for their double and DG rifles. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a razor red dot made by Vortex - there is nothing better out there in that class - period!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the info Gentlemen..

This will be a tough choice..while I was researching all the different recommendations I came across the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro with a 2.5 MOA dot..new for 2015. I've always been a Leupold fan and would like to see if this could work.

If not... I'm sure the Trijicon or Doctor Optik will work well to

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
While I was experimenting with various sizes of ghost ring/ peep sites on my 470 I tried a (relatively cheap) Burris Fastfire. Stuck it on with double sided tape like I did my home made ghost rings. "Your mileage may vary" but neither flew off and gave a lobotomy. I was just getting a feel for different types of sites for my only 70 year old eye, yes eye I only have one that works. Once I got the ghost ring large enough worked great, I liked it. The little red dot was fine also might stick it on when the grandkids come to shoot.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint Micro and Trijicon RMR are the ones that last longest on pistols (in the aimpoints case seems to be forever) That is an application that has a much sharper recoil force and competition guns get 10s of thousands of rounds a year through them

Brad

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the Aimpoints will kick ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDYkctoOG6o

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the Trijicon models are about 3 times the price of the red dots by other well known manufacturers. I know they are suppose to be a good site......... but up here in Canada I have a hard time understanding why I should pay $1400 as opposed to $400-500.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Especially for double rifles. However I also have them on bolt rifles and AR type rifles as well.

+1 Exactly. I've got like 4 of them, the Docter III is a great little item, they are excellent on drive hunts, both eyes open, all your depth perception, etc tu2

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Trijicon now has a 1 MOA dot available, and I believe Docter either has or will have a 1 MOA too.

I prefer the 1 MOA to the various 3's: it makes for more precise shooting.

Here is one in action at 50 yards.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
For this application there appears to be not much love for the Eotech.

I have an EXPS3 on an AR. It has the 1 minute dot with a 68 min ring around it. Tough and dependable so far however it is a little expensive.

Has anybody used one with a double?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Trijicon. No batteries. No worries.

+1, and the higher MOA is of little consequence at typical double ranges.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Doctor has a III that has run for over 3 years on one battery-
I change mine once a year and have never been without a "dot" to shoot with.

Personally-- the 3.25 MOA I find it even to be a bit too coarse- but quite usable-

The 5's and 7.5's are "way" too coarse for me on a DR-

I am looking forward to the 1MOA dots-

I use the tritium Trijicons ONLY on my CQB AR's
not my DR's,

as always-
YMMV

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Have a Docter II Plus with 3.5 MOA on a .470 and a Trijicon RMR on a .450. Both have been subjected to multiple shots (well over a hundred each) with no problems. I prefer the Docter - better clarity with little to no edge distortion. I find the RMR has some edge distortion and is not as clear - but I can't knock it's dependability. Can't go wrong with either one. I would suggest a model that auto-adjusts the dot brightness. Manually adjustable dots are fine for the range, but they can get you in a bind when the light starts to fade and you don't dial down the bightness to compensate. Same holds true for early morning starts - if you don't dial up the brightness as the ambient light gets brighter, you'll be frantically searching for a very dim dot at noon ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint is the best. Leupold Deltapoint PRO is next. RMR after that.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Doctor II & III, Meopta & Trijicon RMR. All have been solid performers.

I want a QD mount as low as possible, so in many cases the mounting system I want to use determines the brand of sight I will use.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris fast fire II on a 450 nitro and 458 Lott. Performed great on each.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with a Doctor.
It has been to Africa twice on my 470.

Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote