THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Aaron Neilson 's Double .577
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aaron Neilson 's Double .577
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Aaron very kindly sent me his double, the one with the buffalo engraving originally belonging to Paul, to try out. What fun! Kick is like a 12 g shotgun in a non automatic 3.5 " shell full load in my estimation as far as felt recoil. It shot great since I had been concerned in a previous post about .577 accuracy in a double although in the Zulu wars the .577 450 were very good. First time off sticks, either resting my forearm or the rifle on the rest ( I have sticks with leather rest made by Jim Morando of Africa Sporting Creations)the right barrel with 750 gr CEB non con grouped two inches but two inches left and high. The left also grouped two inches but four inches left. So barrel separation / regulation two inches apart at 50 yds. For a 20 yd and 100 yd zero the fifty yd should be 1" high. ( I buried the front bead in the V so I just could see it). So slightly high and I noticed the back V sight is off to the left. I did as recommended by Mac and shot each barrel separately onto different targets and later lined the holes up. Let the barrels cool between each set. Always shot in correct sequence and with round in left chamber ( thanks Mac for the advice!).
Delighted and so it's a keeper!!! My son also loves it it also ties in with my historical weapons from the Zulu and Swazi war era.

Two questions. Can I gently tap the rear V to the right to get the impact point better centered. I presume about 1mm? Or does this need special tools? Secondly would a higher velocity load lower the impact point given the barrel is only 24"?

Looking forward to trying it in Africa.

And thanks to Mac inviting me to the prestigious DRSS.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have tapped my rear sights on my doubles witha wooden dowl or a butt of a shot brass case...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great buy. Aaron already used up all the bad shots in it....only the good ones left :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problem at all tapping the rear sight into better alignment for your shooting technique. I tend to shoot all of my double rifles just to the right of where others shoot them so I've tapped all of the rear sights over to correct for my form.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would wait until my check cleared before doing anything...

Gouges or scratches are a very ugly addition to any rifle, let along an expensive DR.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update. See my other post. Thanks for the advice. I gently tapped the rear V to the right by about one millimeter with a wooden dowel and marked the spot in case of later accidental bumps and that resulted a perefect vertical off sticks at 20 and 100 yds and a number of bulls into 3".
LR3
DRSS