THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Magazine--Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Magazine--Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
First, thanks to so many of you who have purchased my new book (and the others as well) and for your kind comments. Now, for my thoughts on a magazine devoted only to double rifles:

I've read a few posts and emails from those who are against the idea of a digital magazine. Believe me, you're preaching to the choir. But, the simple fact remains it would be a large and poor financial outlay to begin a printed version--$17,000 per 1000 copies or 68K per year for four issues. I won't get that back, or even close, in subscriptions. So, here's what I will do:

After the new year I will produce the first issue, approximately 100 pages, and make it available FREE for anyone to download in a PDF format. I will do this to stimulate interest and see if you folks would subscribe to it for 5$ per issue if I keep going. Remember, the first issue is free to all. If it works, fine. If not, I will let it die after number 1.

What I have to date is nice pics of a few .600s, a story on Owain Lewis' .475no2, several pages of Elmer Keith on double rifles, my hippo hunt with my .600, Steve A.'s fine LARM .500 and pics of his trophy room and buffalo, a buffalo hunt in Zim with a .500 bpe Holland, and more.

The magazine will only be as good as its contents and, while I have enough pics, vintage info, articles, etc., to fill several issues, I doubt many will want to read a magazine just of my stuff. My ego is not that big and I don't want this to be the world of double rifles according to Cal.

I would ask you fine folks to contribute your double rifle stuff--your experiences, hunt stories, vintage or historical info, or just pics and details of your favorite doubles (or all of them!). I can't promise fame or fortune, but you will make your information known and shared to all and maybe, just maybe, it will take off. I think you will agree a magazine just of doubles is long over due.

If success warrants I could make print on demand issues available to those who wish.

I hope to hear from you!
Cal
pappas@mtaonline.net

PS.
Shootaway, the free download is not for you and, after your posts, it would be hypocritical for you to look at said magazine. However, if you'd like to help educate the masses (me included) I would welcome a story and photos of your hunts and double rifles and experiences with such.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cal,

I am looking forward to it.

I think that there is a real market for a periodical on doubles. I am happy with the pdf format also. As much as I love printed magazines, they can be problematic for me with travel etc.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Cal.

I dont think that there is a market, but I will buy it also.
:-)

Best wishes.

F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I believe a digital magazine is fine...but why not consider any pre-WW2 rifles....?

While most of us love doubles we also are into pre-war bolt actions like Mausers and Mannlichers...and side by side shotguns....I bet its a vast source of fine guns available from people on this forum....if they want to share that is..

And plese dont rule out the bore rifles...double or single.. Wink

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in such a magazine.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great idea Cal.

If you wish I can help you with a later edition by introducing you to a local collector who has about 20 + DRs - old but top condition - mostly Damascus barreled doubles of very odd German cartridges from the late 1800s and into the early 1900s. He picked up a large lot from an estate sale in Sweden (his wife is Swedish) and some of those guns have the German Royal crest inlaid in gold! Most are hammer guns with incredible engraving.

I am sure the real enthusiast would love to check the proof marks and do some research on those guns.

Good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I'm in, but please keep this in front of us so we don't forget.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I will subscribe for sure. Hopefully I can also submit some photos of my 1906 Jeffery .450 No. 2 in action in Zimbabwe next July.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal.

I know you are a former Winchester collector as I was and still remain a softspot for you. Especially the ´86 model in .50-110.(.50ex).
I know there are guys here who would love an artical or two in regards to this caliber which was used in India.
Any artical really who contain Pre-WW1 calibers from the "Golden Period" would have an interest for a lot of doublerifle nuts and gunbuffs.

With kind Regards. J.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Hi Cal.

I know you are a former Winchester collector as I was and still remain a softspot for you. Especially the ´86 model in .50-110.(.50ex).
I know there are guys here who would love an artical or two in regards to this caliber which was used in India.
Any artical really who contain Pre-WW1 calibers from the "Golden Period" would have an interest for a lot of doublerifle nuts and gunbuffs.

With kind Regards. J.

Jens:
Your are correct as Winchesters in the express calibers are not out of my system. I have several file cabinets full of old articles, ledgers pages, and stories and much if it is of India and SE Asia, I know then .405 was common there as was the .50-110 and .50-95. In fact I'm searching for a .50-95 as I still have a set of a loading tool and a mould with the hollow point pin. I want a rifle to go with them or sell them.
We'll see, and i will begin searching for the info you seek.
cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$5 per issue?; I will buy it.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote