THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Filler / Wad for reloading the 470 NE ????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filler / Wad for reloading the 470 NE ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been discussed before, but what is the best material (and where do I buy it) for a filler or wad. I would like to make up some loads for my 470NE and use Reloader 15.

I called Gallizan and asked if they had the Kynoch wads which I had heard of, but they said they do not carry them.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim
In my 450 No2 I have used Dacron Polyester [5 grains] and foam I cut out with a 50 BMG case.
I prefer the foam.

In my 450/400 with RL 15 I use foam.

Whichever you use just make sure it is compressed between the bullet base and the powder. No airspace.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Shumba,

I use Dacron Poly fill. Get it at the fabric store or Walmart.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use the dacron that I get from an old camp pillow. I would like to try the Kynoch wads as the dacron is disconcerting when it floats out of the barrel.I use 89 grs of Reloader 15 with a 6gr filler using Bell brass and Woodleigh solids my Merkel shoots to same point Factory Federals do.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Dacron Poly-Fil from the fabric store also.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4393 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim

The Kynoch wads are a most convenient method as they are uniform and do not need weighing , just pop em in the case with a pencil end. David uses them in his range of Kynamco made Kynoch ammo, if Galazans do not carry them just e-mail David or Sue Little at Kynamco in Mildenhall, Suffolk England and have them mail you a few bags.

The wads come in 3 different sizes to .700 cal, from memory I think you will require size 2, the bags are either in 50 or 100's and weigh very little as you would imagine, so postage will be nominal, they can ship to the U.S no problem and will accept credit card orders.

hope this helps.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
J T, do you have the E-mail address for David or Sue little? If you don't want to post it publiclly, give me a PM. I have several double rifles I load for, and would love to have some of these foam fillers! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,let me know if you order some that would work in 450-400. I'd be glad to up the order and get some in bulk. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonathan,

Thanks for the info. I sent David an email and will look forward to his response.

If there is any problem sending them, I will be in the UK in December and could always pick them up then.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone give me the actual diameters and length of the Kynoch Wads?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Email response from Kynamco:

The cost of 3 bags of wads and carriage is £25.50. The best way to pay is by credit card. We need the postal address for the card, the card number, expiry date and 3 digit security code. You can either email us your details or fax us on 01144 1638 515251.

By the way, the cost is approximately $48.50 for the 3 bags (300 wads) shipped.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shumba

maybe if you can get sufficient chaps in the US to bulk up the order you can keep shipping costs down as once you get them into the U.S postage should be minimal.

NE450No2

The 2 sizes of wad I have are for both the .400 and .500 - .700 size.
Both are just under 1 inch long and are sized at .540" and .730" diameter respectively, these are the very wads used in current Kynoch ammo from .450-400 to .700 N.E

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I would be in for a group buy on wads for 450-400 or 500 NE or both.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonathan
Thanks for the measurements.

I emailed Galazan to see if they would start stocking them since they already stock Kynoch ammo. The replied they did not plan on it.
The filler needs to be a little longer for my 450 No2.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have emailed David and Sue and I have an order for 2 bags of the 400 and 1 bag for larger calibers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2

The great thing about these wads is you can add two if necessary or simply cut the second in half with a pair of scissors, I think this is what David does to reduce airspace in the massive .700 N.E case

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I like the snowstorm effect from a lot of poly fill : )

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying 400 wads to reload my 470 NE. Should last me for a while.

My wife also picked up a bag of Poly Fill, so I can try that as well.

Tim

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
Email response from Kynamco:

The cost of 3 bags of wads and carriage is £25.50. The best way to pay is by credit card. We need the postal address for the card, the card number, expiry date and the 3 digit security code.???????? You can either email us your details or fax us on 01144 1638 515251.

By the way, the cost is approximately $48.50 for the 3 bags (300 wads) shipped.

Tim

3 digit security code??? You've got to be kidding!
Confused Confused thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just fax the 3 digit security code to them separately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37
Almost everytime I order something on the phone thay ask for the 3 digit security code. It proves to them that, at least you have the credit card and not just a statement you might have found in the trash, or a recipt from a real card owners previous purchase.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mac,
I do it all the time! SOP!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the U.K the chip and PIN number as it is called is now an every day feature, if you order anything here now by phone with credit card payment you are asked for the 3 digit number, it is to safeguard your account from fraudulent use.

Just send the 3 digits by a second mail later that day and you will have no problem. Kynoch are a genuine company, you will have no problems, guaranteed