THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Primer seating tools for large rimmed cases like 500/416?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer seating tools for large rimmed cases like 500/416?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My RCBS hand priming tool is too small for the big rimmed cases. It is "universal" and does not accept the shellholder for the cartridge.

I am now looking at the RCBS ram primer (is in stock here):

http://www.hjemmelading.no/pro...1255526388/ram_prime

As I understand I will be able to use my shellholder with it? Worrying that it will be too small however. Anyone have any tips of what priming tool I should buy?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I can't open that link here at my hospital but if it is the bench-mounted RCBS priming tool, I have one and use it for my 600NE, 600OK and other large caliber rounds. Regular RCBS shellholders work fine with it.

Good luck and stay well,

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a die and is mounted on single stage presses...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the priming arm on one of my RCBS Rock Chuckers. This works fine with all of my double cartridges up to my .500 NE.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS ram primer for my 470, works superbly.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go this is the cat's ass...

http://www.cabelas.com/rcbs-au...C34&mr:referralID=NA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

That is what I use, except I have the older version. Wotks great for the Nitro Express cartridges.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have that 1 as well and it truly is the best tool for the job

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Auto-Prime II.

Mounts on a single-stage press and uses regular shell holders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always been curious as to what is wrong with priming using the primer arm on the press. I always size and prime in one operation and have wondered what is wrong with that. I don't even use a primer feed as It usually seems to take longer to fill the feeder than just to handle them by hand. I just keep a few primers in a flipper and pick them up as needed. I am NEVER in a hurry when loading and in fact weigh each charge on an electronic scale. I even use an old Rockchucker single stage press for everything. I had to modify a shell holder to allow me to insert a 470 case to seat the bullets and it won't really handle anything longer. The shell holder modification takes about 1 minute with a flexible shaft grinder with a small wheel. To me reloading is not a production line operation.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It usually seems to take longer to fill the feeder than just to handle them by hand.

Zim,

Quite simply because the number one way to foul a primer and cause a dead round is to handle them with your fingers. I know it's pretty rare but I've had it happen and there is NO WAY I'm going to take that chance with DG ammo where my life may well depend on my ammo going bang.

With an RCBS primer tool like what I use I never touch a primer with my hands. I pour a box of primers onto a flip tray. I flip them I press them into a primer feed tube and place the tube into the tool. It's sterile, it's easy and it's efficient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS has a hand priming tool similar to the universal that accepts a traditional RCBS shell holder.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Juero:
RCBS has a hand priming tool similar to the universal that accepts a traditional RCBS shell holder.

Yep. That's the one I use as well.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I never touch a primer with my fingers only with tweezers and don't think it's slow or cumbersome ,cause it's not. I also use the tweezers to remove powder grains when weighing powder,again not inconvenient. Just my way of doing it and in over 50 years of reloading I have never had a single primer malfunction.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Why not just use your press for the large, rimmed cases? bewildered

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:

That is what I use, except I have the older version. Wotks great for the Nitro Express cartridges.

+2. My only gripe is that the bolt on the lever arm will loosen and has to be retightened regularly but otherwise it works great on everything from .22-250 to .577 NE in my experience.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I use the Hornady hand primer.
It uses an RCBS style shell holder, The .500 in this case.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ended up buying a RCBS hand primer (that takes shellholders) but the shellholder I have does not fit (too large). So i have ordered a Hornady shellholder that presumably fits in the RCBS hand primer... Grrr that last bit of trouble before I am ready to touch off my first rounds :P

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too use the hand primers. I actually like the lee autoprime since it is much quicker to change the shellholders. I keep one Lee set up for small primers, one set up for large primers and an RCBS for the big stuff that Lee doesn't supply shell holders for. I have one of the bench RCBS units, but haven't used it in years. It suffers the slower loading of all the tube feed types and can detonate a whole stack of primers. This isn't unheard of and the tube is usually turned to shrapnel by all the primers going off. This is more frequent with shothell loaders.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got a caseholder that fits...well kind of... With the RCBS handheld priming tool and a redding caseholder for 500 nitro, the federal large rifle magnum primers are seated, but a little too shallow.

To me it seems like the cases have a little too much room to move vertically inside the caseholder They are not flush and the cases wobble a little standing on a flat surface.I can not find a way to adjust the primer seating tool so that it seats the primers deeper even though the manual says something about adjustment. Well there is nowhere to adjust...

I have heard this may lead to misfires (the primer is pushed forward a little when the firing pin hits). But know of no other possible ills.

So I fired a couple primed cases. The gun closed fine (no resistance) and the spent primers look like they should.

Should I worry about this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
Finally got a caseholder that fits...well kind of... With the RCBS handheld priming tool and a redding caseholder for 500 nitro, the federal large rifle magnum primers are seated, but a little too shallow.

To me it seems like the cases have a little too much room to move vertically inside the caseholder They are not flush and the cases wobble a little standing on a flat surface.I can not find a way to adjust the primer seating tool so that it seats the primers deeper even though the manual says something about adjustment. Well there is nowhere to adjust...

I have heard this may lead to misfires (the primer is pushed forward a little when the firing pin hits). But know of no other possible ills.

So I fired a couple primed cases. The gun closed fine (no resistance) and the spent primers look like they should.

Should I worry about this?

That's why I don't use the hand primers for large cases. The tool I linked you to is the best I've ever used and I've used them all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will order a different priming tool, the one you reccomend...

But meanwhile (and it may take some time to get it here in Norway), will I be fine shooting the rounds like they are now?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Norsk:
ledvm has it right (in my opinion): the Lee Auto Prime 2 is what I have been using for more years than I can count. I use the first Auto Prime on the small stuff. AND the Auto Prime 2 can be drilled out, a new ram made, the shell holders drilled out, and it now can seat shotgun primers for the bore rifles. I have not found anything that beats it.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the RCBS automatic Priming tool for years and it works with any shell holder including the 50 BMG...It would be #9460 and sells for $76.20 Huntingtons.com pp 13

I also have a hand tool that works with .470s and whatever but don't know what make it is..its very old and has no markings.

Also the RCBS A-2 press that I have has a bullet seater that will take any shell holder including 50 cal BMG..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote