New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to get an older/antique double rifle that is either sitll useable, or can be restored to being useable, preferrably hammered.

What caliber should I look for?
Particular makers?
Is this just plain nuts? (I realize I should probably just get a Searcy, but I like the old guns.)

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What game do you plan on using it for?
Nitro Express or Black Powder Express?
Deer and pigs or for African game.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
A 577 BPE Underlever Hammer gun would be awesome. What is your price range? Or how about this 8 bore Holland;

http://champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mid=345&c...&StyleID=3&GunID=236

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Game -- after seeing that 8 bore Holland I wish my price range could go up. I really should try to stay under 15K. I would like a cartridge gun though/preferrably one that I can have cartridges made/purchase them -- really don't have the time to reload etc (and have a never used Dillion press to prove it.) If that's too cheap, then I can wait -- I pretty well own a gun for every possible purpose that I have.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aglifter:
I shoot two Rigby hammer underlevers. One is a 450 3 1/4 nitro. Always under 2 inches at 100 yards and extremely well balanced. I'm close to booking a 2009 Tanz double buff 10 day hunt and the representatives of the agencies I contacted did not have any serious reservations about having a hammer gun on board. The other 450-400 BPE with NFB loads is even more accurate with several 1.3 and 1.4 inch right/left groups at 100 yards and extremely well balanced. That Manton 470 looked nice but I would inquire as to the condition of the bores as well as if Bass Pro ever tested the rifle (which I doubt). No handicap with a hammer gun, just practice carefully and then practice more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
are you shooting that bpe with bp?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent:
No, although I have been competing for 15 years in BPCR and Black Powder Schuetzen I have not attempted to load Black for the Rigby. Just too tired to experiment right now. May in the future. Proper starting load would be a 110 grain of Swiss 1 1/2 with Federal 215 primers, although I have had great sucess with CCI bench rest rifle.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In short 'English T', the long version is; double-grip rotary under lever patented by an 'obscure' Birmingham gunmaker Henry Jones. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was a 10 bore suitable for heavy game/at least buffalo -- somehow facing up to an elephant with powder and a percussion cap doesn't seem like the best idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of fun though. I'd sure be interested in trying it. But elephant with anything, just isn't in my deck of cards.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote